XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

TPMS Module

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
Yes. 315mhz in USA. If you find the appropriate part, It works like a charm.
But all of my XK modules have the latest software.
@Bill400 Appreciate the help - and to anyone questioning this, the Seimans VDO parts are getting harder to find at a reasonable price and I'm not confident that the last ones were built years ago.

Edit: Disregard - I found Continental VDO SE52081 are a fit.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...2kaKmUPf3Hg%3D

Last edited by Sean W; 11-08-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 01:00 PM
Received 299 Likes on 172 Posts

@Sean W
Too late, I wrote small booklet in response!

Sean,

TECHNICAL BULLETIN JTB00317NAS2, see post #17, recommends a TPMS module update for pre-2013 XKs and XFs. There is also the possibility of file corruption for any model. So, when in doubt, reprogram the TPMS module. That being said, I have experienced a fair amount of old-new stock stock and compatibles that really weren’t.
IDS_SDD is the best tool for sorting out TPM issues. You can see the modules and the data that they report. While there, you can also reprogram the TPMS module and calibrate the receiver.

New files: While retrofitting the back-up camera to my 2010 XK, I inadvertently downloaded blank files.
IDS_SDD recommended a number of updates during the rebuild process.

Per VDO, modern Jaguars and Land Rovers through 2014 use 315mhz sensors. F-Types and post 2014 models use 433mhz units, as do the EU.

https://www.vdo.com/media/747421/con...list_en_de.pdf

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...w%2BCCYUZxKRAy

best regards,
Bill

Old 11-08-2022, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Thanks Bill. Yes all of this makes sense. I disabled my TPMS after I removed the Android unit. (Well actually long before that). With the Android head unit, the option for TPMS was included and I installed them but they are 433mhz and worked independent of the OEM system. Worked fine yada yada but obviously doesn't work with OEM. I don't recall ever having issues with my TPMS but my memory fails me often. It's long been disabled and I think I did it because it's a technilogically "dumb" system as opposed to more modern ones that actually read out the air pressure in each tire.

Not sure I'll turn it back on. The thread got me to thinking that the Seiman's VDO's are just outdated and wondered if there was a non programmable option out there and yes there is. @ $41 per is also a good price. So if I decide I want to re-engage the TPMS I may first experiment and see if I can get a cheap 433 mhz module and modify CCF to accept the new frequency. Not sure that will work but what the heck.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my tyre pressure sensors replaced by Autel MX sensors.

With the Autel tool, these can be programmed to the original TPMS sensor numbers.
By setting the "market" the sensors can be programmed to either 315 Mhz or 433 Mhz.

I even did it wrong on two sensors, but I managed to correct it again:
The issue was not to put the Autel tool near the tyre, close to the sensor, and not near the actual tyre valve.
Apparently the sensor antenna could not capture the Autel signal when close to the tyre valve.

I can recommend going the Autel route, since no SDD programming is required and the TPMS control module will see the Autel MX sensors as being OEM.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by sbolinha
I can recommend going the Autel route, since no SDD programming is required and the TPMS control module will see the Autel MX sensors as being OEM.
Jaguars don't need programming, the system detects sensors within 20 miles of driving. As long as they are the right frequency, anyway.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Bill400 (11-10-2022), ralphwg (11-12-2022), Sean W (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 720 Likes on 356 Posts

and another thing,
I recently had a new wheel/tire installed along with a tmps sensor, from Discount Tire.
I didn't ask but when I got home I saw that the tpms sensor has a rubber stem, not metal.
I contacted DT and they said that was all they had in stock and it was fine, I wasn't so sure about that.
Contacted the manufacturer and they said the rubber stem unit was good for ~130mph and 'recommended' the metal bodied one would be a better fit for my elevated driving speeds.
So for me, I'll have DT balance my tires soon and push that they replace the rubber with metal.
wj

The following 4 users liked this post by wymjym:
Bill400 (11-10-2022), Cee Jay (11-09-2022), guy (11-09-2022), Sean W (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 06:12 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

see my post i tried driving after installing new sensors then reprogrammed the ecu

The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by IanXF
see my post i tried driving after installing new sensors then reprogrammed the ecu
IanXF,
You were the first post in this thread to advise TPMS control module (not sensor) programming. We liked your post. The rest of us just piled on.
Thank you for steering the conversation in the right direction.

Sean,
The OEM TPM sensors appear to transmit ID, pressure, temperature and acceleration data.
Information as viewed on IDS_SDD data logger for V150.

IDS_SDD Data Logger showing TPMS options

best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 11-10-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by sbolinha

With the Autel tool, these can be programmed to the original TPMS sensor numbers.
By setting the "market" the sensors can be programmed to either 315 Mhz or 433 Mhz.

I even did it wrong on two sensors, but I managed to correct it again:
The issue was not to put the Autel tool near the tyre, close to the sensor, and not near the actual tyre valve.
Apparently the sensor antenna could not capture the Autel signal when close to the tyre valve.

The TPMS issues are so annoying that some folks will welcome your solution.
Not familiar with the Autel tool but JLR wheel-well antennas transmit to the respective wheel sensor.
Receive antenna is centrally located at the TPMS module. That may affect your optimum Autel tool location.

Best regards,
Bill

Old 03-22-2023, 09:26 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Updated TPMS module

My X150 has done the same for about a year. Never had any fault codes for TPMS but intermittent "check tire pressure" messages and the TPMS warning lamp would come on steady but not flashing (the amber exclamation point inside tire). The false low tire pressure messages would randomly rotate around all four tires for approximately one minute then disappear.

Troubleshooting included over inflating, deflating to test appropriate indication, had tire shop scan all four sensors in wheels to confirm sensor battery levels, charged battery, and even replaced battery. Yesterday I took it to the JLR dealer for diagnostic. Technician verified correct tire pressures and sensors broadcasting with warning lamp and tire pressure messages. Initially he recommended replacing all four TPMS sensors with "factory" sensors. Service representative asked me if they were OEM sensors?

Thankfully a "team leader" suspected the TPMS module may be jammed or confused so they performed a hard reset and an UPDATE to module. Amazingly they realized it was communicating correctly before replacing any wheel sensors!! Charged me for diagnostic service only. So far so good. Drove it for two hours yesterday without any tire pressure warnings.

The following users liked this post:
V7Sport (03-22-2023)
Old 01-02-2024, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

This corpse of a thread isn't cold yet, so this is what just happened to me;
I set up to disable TPMS using SDD but decided to flash the TPMS Module one last time. Well, waddayano, the TPMS Module failed on the SDD initial check. I tried to flash it anyway but of course it was a FAILED TO COMPLETE.
I disabled it anyway, but now I'll probably try again after I find another module. When I first replaced the module several years ago, it didn't fail and it did accept the flash. Maybe it got sick and tired of showing me FAIL all day every day in the dash for years and years and just gave up.

Anyone want to send me a working TPMS module?

Old 01-03-2024, 03:52 AM

Cee Jay,
If you haven't unplugged the TPSM, give that a try.
Two things that might do:
1. rub off a bit of oxidation at the connector terminals.
(maybe contact cleaner too?)
2. remove power from the module, effectively a reset.
Just shots in the dark, but who knows?
I think that TPM is one of the modules that may get scrambled by low voltage spike/dip during startup.

best regards,
Bill

Old 01-03-2024, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill400
Cee Jay,
If you haven't unplugged the TPSM, give that a try.
Two things that might do:
1. rub off a bit of oxidation at the connector terminals.
(maybe contact cleaner too?)
2. remove power from the module, effectively a reset.
Just shots in the dark, but who knows?
I think that TPM is one of the modules that may get scrambled by low voltage spike/dip during startup.

best regards,
Bill
There is no corrosion anywhere on that connector, and I always spray them with ElectoClean when I install anyway, and in the past few years I've reset at least several times due to other issues. We don't get much corrosion here due to extremely dry air, but maybe? I'll check.
If I can find my OLD module (the installed one was a replacement) I will certainly clean the hell outa the contacts. Hey, I can borrow my kid's module, it's sitting there in HIS car not doing much! You know, just for troubleshooting.
Course then I'll have to re-enable TPMS. What, maybe two minutes of work?

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Bill400 (01-04-2024), V7Sport (01-03-2024)