XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

TPMS System Error Message: Sensor and Transmitter no operation

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 05:34 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default TPMS System Error Message: Sensor and Transmitter no operation

Dear all

For the upcoming winter season I have put on the Takoba 20'-alloys with winter rubbers.
Already last winter these wheels were giving me trouble with TPMS System Error Message popping up about every 80 mls (system error message only, not low pressure on any tire reported).

In spring this year, when I put back my summer wheels (Tamana 19'), the TPMS problems were immediately gone (details here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-my-xk-205199/), so my main suspect were the sensors fitted inside my winter Takobas.

The seller of the Takobas sent me a set of second-hand FoMoCo-branded replacement sensors, which I fitted to the winter Takobas before mounting them again now to my XK (re 433 MHz frequency - keep in mind I am located in Europe).

Before installation into the wheels, all four FoMoCo sensors were tested with a generic TMPS reader at my independant garage, and they gave correct readings.
Now I drove with the winter Takobas mounted, and unfortunately again also with the 4 sensors replaced I am getting the same TPMS system error messages about every 80 mls on the dash.

Last summer I bought the Autel 200 error reader dongle with Jag-specific smartfone software, so unlike last winter, now I am able to myself readout the error codes, with the following result:
intermittent error C1A60-93

Error description from workshop manual for this error:

The error did not appear right away after the tire swap, only after driving about 80 mls. Same if I delete it with the code reader, i.e. will reappear after another about 80 mls driven.
Did anybody else have issues with error C1A60-93 and if yes how solved?

Keep in mind, that with my 8-year old original 19' summer alloys with their original 8y-old sensors, the TPMS works absolutely flawless.
Could there be any issue at all re the difference in wheel size between my wheelsets, i.e. originally equipped summer Tamana 19's vs winter tires on Takoba 20'?

Regards,
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 11-03-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

In theory you’d expect the 20” wheels to be better, as the sensor is 1/2” closer to the antenna.
Maybe its the tire construction? Steel belts inside blocking the signal?

The following users liked this post:
Ter11 (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Thanks!

Some more hints maybe from what I noticed ...
  • Error always pops up when driving approx. 50 mph on slower highway sections
  • The error code C1A60-93 is hinting at a problem with the left rear tire (unfortunately I could not readout last winter with initial sensors fitted, as I didn’t have a error code reader)
  • Could this be an issue with a slightly misaligned TPMS antenna in the left rear fender, that somehow captures the signal on the 19’s but not reliably enough on 20’s?

Best!
ter

Old 11-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ter11
Thanks!

Some more hints maybe from what I noticed ...
  • Error always pops up when driving approx. 50 mph on slower highway sections
  • The error code C1A60-93 is hinting at a problem with the left rear tire (unfortunately I could not readout last winter with initial sensors fitted, as I didn’t have a error code reader)
  • Could this be an issue with a slightly misaligned TPMS antenna in the left rear fender, that somehow captures the signal on the 19’s but not reliably enough on 20’s?

Best!
ter
Try swapping your rear wheels, left to right, see if the error follows the wheel, or stay on the same side.
That will tell you what to focus on.
Either a new sensor, or antenna (or antenna wiring, maybe a loose or dirty connection).

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Sean W (11-03-2019), Ter11 (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Try swapping your rear wheels, left to right, see if the error follows the wheel, or stay on the same side.
That will tell you what to focus on.
Either a new sensor, or antenna (or antenna wiring, maybe a loose or dirty connection).
oh yes, swapping rear wheels is indeed a very good idea to further single out the root cause! Thanks.
Will try that once with some time on my hands.

br
ter

Old 11-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Yeah I think swapping wheels is the easiest step to eliminate the sensor vs the system, but did you follow the pinpoint tests that it referred you to also or is that next step? I'd personally start with G4 since there are only 2 screws holding the antenna in place so you'll be able to confirm G3 very quickly and as you didn't mention any other codes, G1 and 2 can be eliminated quickly as well.

Ter11 (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Thanks! Sure - next time I will be taking off the wheels (i.e. when swapping them), I will for sure try to get to that antenna to check to any trouble. It is just so strange that there were no TPMS issues at all with my other wheels.

BR
ter

Old 11-04-2019, 03:44 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

hi fellows

I was chasing TPMS errors for a while on my MY10 XKR, including changing one sensor for a new "OEM" sensor off Ebay, and when that didn't work, changing the antenna for that one wheel-arch. None of that worked, and I learned a few things:

- don't bother with second-hand sensors, they really do have a finite lifespan (the battery)
- there is only one receiver-antenna in the car, it's behind the rear seats - if this goes wrong, it'll show up for all four wheels
- the four antennae, one for each wheel arch, are not antennae but simple cols that tell the sensor in the wheel to make a signal - if one goes wrong, it's specific to that corner
- the initiation procedure for new sensors on Jags is simple - fit the sensor, let the car sit for 15 mins, then drive - after 15 mins of >20mph, the system syncs itself
- also learned that cheap "OEM" sensors off Ebay are fake

So I had two choices, take it to the dealer and pay £180 for new sensor and programming, or buy a proper tool and continue fixing it myself. I did the latter, bought an Autel TS501, a diagnostic tool and programmer specific to TPMS. Easy to use and works really well. Its trump card is that it can program Autel MX433 sensors with the ID code from your failing Jaguar sensor. Or you can program a new, random code to the Autel sensor, fit that to the car, and let the car learn the new sensor. But programming the sensor with a code the car already knows about makes the process quicker. Worked well for me and no more TPMS issues. In my mind, the tool will have paid for itself the next/second time I have used it. Autel sensors are cheap too, £24 or so.

The new sensor should be programmed before fitting to the car but if you forget to do that and already fit it it, you need to drop air out of the tyre (<10psi), then program the sensor (no need to remove it from the wheel, just hold the programmer near it), then put air back into the tyre.

Cheers

Links below to the sensor and the programmer. No affiliation, just really happy to have (a) solved this myself and (b) got a new tool for my collection

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Great info franksm. Just a note for those that don't already know, our vehicles self learn the newly installed TMPS. Just drive it around for 20 minutes. no need for programming.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, the Autel TS501 + programmable sensors is a good way to go if you need it (but there is now a cheaper option).
As Sean W pointed out, our cars relearn the TPMS IDs, so programming/cloning is not necessary.
I think 'jagtoes' went with the TS501 so he could clone sensors for his Lexus (which doesn't relearn).
I took a different route, and bought the Autel TS401 to read sensor IDs, and an ATEQ Quickset, so I could load new sensor IDs into my Lexus.
Since my Lexus doesn't relearn, or store more than one set of IDs, the ATEQ makes swapping between summer and winter wheels/tires pretty painless (it remembers multiple sets of IDs), and no dealer visit required.
To anyone considering the Autel TS501 in order to program/clone TPMS sensors, I just saw on the Autel website that the TS401 (that I have) has a free firmware update available, that allows it to also program the Autel sensors (just like the TS501).
Something I'll do to mine, just to have the option in the future.
The TS401 is about $100 cheaper than the TS501, so certainly worth considering (if you have a car that doesn't relearn like our X150's).

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
ralphwg (11-04-2019), Ter11 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

I'll piggyback on this thread!
My problems started a couple years ago, first intermittent, then more often. It started with RF Tire Not Monitored once in awhile. Then it started with "SYSTEM FAULT" every once in awhile with still the not monitored.

Well, it got constant about six months ago so I bought four new Siemens TPMS sensors and waited until I got new tires, which was a couple weeks ago.

SO, in go the new sensors and then a Drive Cycle. WELL, the RF Tire Not Monitored went away, but the SYSTEM FAULT is still there.

I checked all the wiring behind the front bumper, and mine is perfectly pretty and safe.

Next I changed all the initiators (paddle things in each wheel well that some people call Antennas) because new ones are cheap, but that didn't do anything.

I grabbed SDD and reprogrammed the TPMS module, and forty miles later...... SYSTEM FAULT.

THEN, I got a 'new' (used but guaranteed) TPMS module off eBay a couple days ago and spent today swapping out my old one.
Forty miles later.......... SYSTEM FAULT.
Well, fuuuuuuuuuuuudge.

There's only one other thing to change, and that'd be the main antenna, called the TPMS Receiver.

After I get a new one of those installed and if it STILL says SYSTEM FAULT, I'm gonna use SDD to disable the entire shebang. I'm tired of dealing with it.
For any references:

Last edited by Cee Jay; 11-04-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Ter11 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 04:00 PM

CeeJay,

what kind of error codes are you getting, when your dash shows SYSTEM FAULT?

br,
ter

Old 11-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not getting any error codes whatsoever. Not even inside SDD. It just...... doesn't work.

Ter11 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 05:32 PM

Thanks!

With the TMPS System error recently deleted with code reader, I drove around today with only about half the air pressure in my left rear tire. TPMS immediately reported: “check pressure in all tires”

So it seems the sensor in my left rear tire is reporting pressure correctly, but somehow the system is unable to recognize which sensor is sitting on which wheel.

I now unterstand that it is basically the job of the tennis-racket style initiator antennas to tell the system where each of the sensors sit.

BR
TER

Old 11-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

And Cee Jay also confirmed under a separate thread that he removed his OBD II dongle. I have had issues with mine, the BT version. Wifi, no. But when I removed the BT dongle, the messages went away after about 5 miles. Came back when plugged in, went away when unplugged again.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:30 PM

Still getting TPMS system error messages on the dash, but this time in addition to the error code mentioned above, C1A60-93, I also got C1A62-93, which is the same thing on the RIGHT rear wheel.

br
ter

Old 11-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ter11
Still getting TPMS system error messages on the dash, but this time in addition to the error code mentioned above, C1A60-93, I also got C1A62-93, which is the same thing on the RIGHT rear wheel.

br
ter
But you haven't swapped the wheels?

Old 11-12-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
But you haven't swapped the wheels?
no. Not yet!

And btw, these error codes are only listed once I get the TPMS system error message on the dash. So eg. yesterday when I checked for errors only 50 mls after I last time delete erroras, there were none listed.

Br
ter

Old 11-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Just recently I got the same error tpms system error on dashboard. Does not go away no matter what. Any suggestion?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AlexJag
Just recently I got the same error tpms system error on dashboard. Does not go away no matter what. Any suggestion?
Do what I did;
Change all four TPMS sensors
Replace all four Initiators
Reprogram the TPMS module
Replace the TPMS module
AGAIN Reprogram the NEW TPMS module
Run around the house screaming and throwing things because it STILL won't work
Find a new TPMS receiver on eBay and add it to Watch List, cuz it is the LAST thing to try.
Find in SDD in the CCF where to turn the blasted thing off, cuz that's what will happen if the new Receiver doesn't work.

Ter11 (11-14-2019)

Quick Reply: TPMS System Error Message: Sensor and Transmitter no operation