XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

TPMS System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
QUOTE=Gray XK;1035037] ... I can't say I have ever had such an easy time dealing with an insurance adjuster. Very good experience overall
Was the insurance company yours or the other driver's? If yours, let us know how much your premiums went up when you get your next bill.

Just curious.[/QUOTE]

It was the other driver's insurance company (Geico, if you can believe it).

Old 06-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default TPMS Sensors work!

Hello all - this is first post here. Just want to tell my TPMS System Fault story. I have a 2008 Jag XKR that started with the warning TPMS right front sensor not working properly. So I figured the car is 8 years old so time for new TPMS sensor for all 4 tires. I bought some nice Dorman sensors on ebay that said they were compatible with my vehicle. I had them installed by Discount Tire. They initialized properly and all was good for about 50 miles and then "TPMS SYSTEM FAULT" message. So I read all about TPMS problems. I bought 4 VDO SE53001 and had them installed by DT. The "TPMS SYSTEM FAULT" message persisted for a few miles. I went home let about 10 psi out of one tire (not sure that is important but thats what i did) drove the car again and in less that 10 miles i looked down and message was gone! I was at my destination so I turned off the car and did an errand. Maybe 20 minutes later I started the car and I got a proper "Low Tyre Pressure" message for the tire I let the air out of! I was happy! Aired up my tire to the proper pressure, that message went away and I have not had any trouble for several hundred miles. So, I conclude that some "compatible" sensors are not really compatible, but the VDO's did definitely work in my XKR. Hope this helps somebody.

The following 3 users liked this post by richeyj:
ralphwg (06-20-2016), richzak (06-20-2016), sherbercars (06-27-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Received 160 Likes on 113 Posts

Ford and Firestone have a lot to answer for....

Old 06-20-2016, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by richeyj
Hello all - this is first post here. Just want to tell my TPMS System Fault story. I have a 2008 Jag XKR that started with the warning TPMS right front sensor not working properly. So I figured the car is 8 years old so time for new TPMS sensor for all 4 tires. I bought some nice Dorman sensors on ebay that said they were compatible with my vehicle. I had them installed by Discount Tire. They initialized properly and all was good for about 50 miles and then "TPMS SYSTEM FAULT" message. So I read all about TPMS problems. I bought 4 VDO SE53001 and had them installed by DT. The "TPMS SYSTEM FAULT" message persisted for a few miles. I went home let about 10 psi out of one tire (not sure that is important but thats what i did) drove the car again and in less that 10 miles i looked down and message was gone! I was at my destination so I turned off the car and did an errand. Maybe 20 minutes later I started the car and I got a proper "Low Tyre Pressure" message for the tire I let the air out of! I was happy! Aired up my tire to the proper pressure, that message went away and I have not had any trouble for several hundred miles. So, I conclude that some "compatible" sensors are not really compatible, but the VDO's did definitely work in my XKR. Hope this helps somebody.
richeyj:

Thanks for the info. I have had enough and have ordered a new set of the VDO SE53001 TPMS from Amazon. I will have them installed at my local Discount Tire. I figure it is best to replace the ones I purchased 2 years ago, as they were listed as "compatible" but as you say they probably are not.

I will advise once the change takes place. My TPMS light goes on, then off, then will stay off for several weeks and go back on. Hopefully, this clears up the annoyance that i get from the dash light.

Many thanks.

Richard in New Mexico

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

My last couple of outings, my TPMS light has appeared sporadically. The first time, I checked the pressures and all were good. So now, I'm thinking VDO, as well. I too, may pick up 4 if these are the best for the money perform as designed.

However, has or can this "bug" be fixed by simply lowering the tire pressure 10-15 lbs. and re-inflating?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. This is what makes this group shine......

Last edited by RedRider48; 06-20-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

UPDATE:

2 years ago when having a new set of tires installed on the Jaguar XKR, I also purchased a set of new TPMS to replace the OEM TPMS that was originally placed in the car.

I made the purchase via the internet from vendor OE Wheels who stated the TPMS was a match to my 2009 Jaguar XKR. I made the purchase.

Over the past 2 years, the new TPMS worked intermittently, going on and off. It was truly annoying.

After the most recent post by member RICHEYJ I decided to buy the OE TPMS sensors #VDO SE53001 TPMS from Amazon. The cost was $222.00. These are VDO Siemens OEM sensors and were quite different from the sensors purchased 2 years ago. VDO Siemens makes the OEM TPMS for the Jaguar brand.

I had the new VDO sensors installed at my local Discount Tire for $12.00 each.

Then the test. Immediately after leaving the shop, I got the dash warning showing the icon of the car with the red warning moving from one tire to another showing low pressure. After 2-3 minutes the new VDO sensors picked up 2 of the 4 tire pressures and within 5 minutes the new sensors picked all 4 tires and the dash warning went out. The warning as not come back on. The annoyance is over and it feels so good to have the proper TPMS installed.

The Jaguar XKR was performed flawlessly from the first day of delivery, but the TPMS drove my nuts.

A big THANKS goes out to Jaguar Forum member RICHEYJ for the making the post and supplying the proper OEM TPMS.

If any other member is experiencing the same frustration and intermittent TPMS warnings in the center of the dash. I would highly suggest to replace the sensors with this exact model and make sure 100% it is compatible with your model year.

Problem resolved and it feels soooooo good.

Items Ordered Price
4 of: VDO SE53001 TPMS Sensor Assembly
Sold by: Tpms Guys (seller profile)

Condition: New
$55.52

Shipping Address:
Richard
LAS CRUCES, NM 88011-8380
United States

Shipping Speed:
Economy Shipping
Item(s) Subtotal: $222.08
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
-----
Total before tax: $222.08
Sales Tax: $0.00
-----
Total for This Shipment: $222.08
-----

Last edited by richzak; 06-27-2016 at 02:02 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by richzak:
kj07xk (06-27-2016), ralphwg (06-27-2016), RedRider48 (06-27-2016), sherbercars (06-27-2016), Stuart S (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

That's great news. I certainly have had my share of TPMS warnings, including system fault, but haven't had anything for the past three months or so. Of course, now that I've mentioned it, I will probably have a fault when I pick up my car from service.

RedRider48 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Richzak - How long have you had the new TPMS sensors installed? HOw many miles have you driven your XK with the new sensors? Thanks.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Richzak - How long have you had the new TPMS sensors installed? HOw many miles have you driven your XK with the new sensors? Thanks.
3 days only........about 50 miles. I don't drive the XKR much, but will over this week to put a few more miles to keep testing the new TPMS.

I don't use it as a daily driver and in our small city, once I get across town which is no more than 6 to 8 miles, there is nothing for another 45 to 60 miles. I live in the desert.

What was impressive is when I pulled the XKR out of the tire shops bay, I got the icon of the car on the center of the instrument panel and the red warning moving from one tire to another. Within 2-3 minutes 2 went out and after 5-6 minutes all dash warnings went out. I have never seen this icon before. So, I know the TPMS slowly picked up the pressure in each tire and are working correctly.

So far that is. I will report back after putting a few more miles on the XKR.

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
ralphwg (06-28-2016), Stuart S (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Richard,

Thanks for the info about the TPMS icons. I wondered how the system works and, thanks to you, now I know each tire is separately displayed when low.

I still have the original OEM sensors (rebuilt when my new tires were installed) and never had any TPMS issues even though those batteries are now over 7 years old.

My TPMS batteries must be getting recharged by my CTEK!

Stuart

Old 06-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

I have now driven the XKR 131 miles without any TPMS problems. I am convinced the last set of TPMS ORO-TEK brand was not a compatible set for the 09 Jag XKR.

The VDO53001 TPMS have worked perfectly.

If you're getting intermittent readings on the instrument panel and the flashing tire icon, consider replacing your old with new Siemens VDO53001 sensors.

You have no idea how happy I am to get this past annoyance out of the way.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I am experiencing the Tire Pressure System Fault warning that has been discussed at length here. I had a minor accident recently that required the body shop to replace the front bumper. Ever since, the fault light has intermittently appeared. Someone mentioned that it could be a crimped wire behind the bumper and I'm thinking something occurred during the repair to my XK. In order to check the wire in question, do I have to again, remove the bumper, or is it something I can get to easily?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
I am experiencing the Tire Pressure System Fault warning that has been discussed at length here. I had a minor accident recently that required the body shop to replace the front bumper. Ever since, the fault light has intermittently appeared. Someone mentioned that it could be a crimped wire behind the bumper and I'm thinking something occurred during the repair to my XK. In order to check the wire in question, do I have to again, remove the bumper, or is it something I can get to easily?
Take out the right headlight. You can see down inside where the bumper bracket and harness are fairly easily seen.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:51 PM

Cee Jay, thank you for the feedback. Is there not an initiator on either side of the bumper? If I were to remove the fender lining in front of each forward wheel, could I not access the appropriate wiring to make sure there are no crimped or bad connections? I removed the headlight once before to replace a parking bulb and it wasn't an easy task aligning the headlight again when I reinstalled. I had to have it done by my indy.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Syd:

Each wheel has a TPMS sensor transmitter. Simply remove the wheel and tire, then use an appropriate Torx screwdriver to remove the screws which can seen easily. You will then remove the wheel well liner to see the transmitter. You will find the TPMS sensor transmitter easily. It looks like a tennis racket. These are very low priced to replace.

From there you can follow the wiring, but not all the way. There is a strong possibility that a loose wire connecting the transmitter is causing the problem, They have a simple wire connector that may be loose.

A few questions...

1) What type of dash warning are you getting?
2) Do you see an icon of the car and the 4 tires in the center of the instrument panel?
3) Do you see just the tire that flashes then goes SOLID in the right round instrument panel?

Click the image to enlarge and then click again for full screen.

Perhaps one of the transmitters came loose. Perhaps on the TPMS sensors got damaged upon the damage with the car.

You can replace the transmitter or replace the TPMS sensor seated in the wheel with the Siemens VDO 53001 from Amazon.com.

Attached Thumbnails TPMS System Fault-jaguar-tpms-transmitter.jpg   TPMS System Fault-jaguar-tpms-vdo-53001-sensor.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by richzak; 07-12-2016 at 12:08 AM.
ndy.boyd (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:29 AM

Thanks, Richard. I think that one of the initiators might have been disturbed during the bumper replacement process, as the trouble started immediately upon receiving the car back. Here's the message I am seeing.

Attached Thumbnails TPMS System Fault-tpms-error.jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Thanks, Richard. I think that one of the initiators might have been disturbed during the bumper replacement process, as the trouble started immediately upon receiving the car back. Here's the message I am seeing.
Yes, I think you may be correct as the warning light in the center will come on immediately when starting the car, then the tire icon to the right will blink on and off for 18 seconds then go solid.

The warning is NOT showing that any individual tire pressure is low otherwise, you would get the car icon in the center showing a "red" indicator moving from one tire to the next.

Most likely it's either the racket shaped transmitter or the TPMS sensor itself.

You should be able to go to any major tire dealer and have each TPMS sensor read.

You will be able to pin point which sensor is not transmitting to the main unit behind the rear seat.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too had a bumper pulled and painted due to a minor ding (first day with the Jag) which is another story. I'm getting the TPMS System Fault warning immediately after getting the car back from the body shop. I also have no fog lights now. I'm thinking a bunch of stuff is not connected. Not had the time to pull the bumper due to another restoration going on, but will get to it this weekend maybe and report back.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

Fog lights and antennas are the same harness.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post1236497

The following 2 users liked this post by flyc2c:
macon6500 (07-14-2016), ndy.boyd (07-15-2016)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS problem solved (for me)

I had a problem with my TPMS (2010 XFR). It started throwing warnings randomly while tyre pressure was OK.
I finally tracked it down to a dodgy Ebay USB charger plugged into the cigarette lighter in the center console.
I Unplugged it and the warnings went away after 10 mins and didn't return. I plugged it back in again and the warnings reappeared within minutes.
I tried plugging it in and disconnecting repeatedly and there is no doubt that this was causing the issue.
The USB charger is in my wife's car now where it doesn't cause any problems.

Quick Reply: TPMS System Fault