XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Track Day at Mosport Int’l Raceway…XKR Truly Excels

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Great write and experience. I was wondering how the OEM Dunlops performed. Need to plan a vacation around meeting you at a road course sometime!

Jay
Now that could be fun!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Bruce,

I'm now looking at what tires to get next... My XKR isn't my daily driver, (I've found I appreciate the feeling of driving it much more when I dont use it as a daily driver). I just use it odd weekends and car club events, including the occasional track event.

You said that your Sport Maxxs are good on track so I'm really interested in your reasons for switching to Mich. Super Sports. Do you think they'd be better or worse for tracking than Sport Maxxs?

I'd like tires that are good for the occasional track day but also comfortable enough for touring-style rally runs (which is the more usual events I do). I live in Phoenix so all-season tires are pretty much redundant. My first thought was Pirelli P-Zeros as I always thought they were pretty much the benchmark, but looking around the internet I'm surprised at how often they get some really bad reviews from owners. Did you consider P-Zeros for you car?

I agree with your shift paddle comments. Last time I was on a track I tried using the paddles but because of the amount of steering input was often way more than half a turn, for me at least finding the paddles again in a timely manner, especially without looking down and/or punching myself in the crotch turned out to be possible only about 1 in 3 times so basically unuseable. Thank goodness DS sport mode is so good. I still wish Jag would provide a conversion kit to mount the paddles on the column instead though. They should have done it right from the factory. In my opinion they also should have used a smaller wheel and made the steering ratio more aggressive but thats a whine for a separate post.

I have another track day coming up so this time will try turning DSC completely off like you did. Is the car noticably more squirly with DSC off and do you think the risk of adding some custom styling to the bodywork goes up much?

It also occurred to me that perhaps leaving DSC on could actually result in faster lap times as it might be doing some gentle differential braking in corners at some threshold below generally noticeable. What do you think?

Last edited by JustNiz; 10-24-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

JustNiz,

I'm glad to hear you're interested in probing the car's limits as well, and look forward to your feedback.

I've been looking forward to trying the Michelin Pilot Super Sports even before buying the XKR. A track friend's family member worked on that tire's development, and his enthusiasm and great reviews that have come out since all tell me this is a tire I have to try. It's less expensive than the Dunlops ... and I expect it to be terrific. If not I would go back to the Dunlop's because they do everything I want really really well. So it's not that I'm looking to improve on the Dunlop's performance at all...just an itch I have to scratch. I've not considered the Pirreli's and know nothing about them.

I think the paddle shifters rotating with the wheel is the most effective for high performance driving...when used under the following conditions. I drive with my hands placed on the wheel at the 10 and 2 positions, and I am able to use the paddles easily. I am able to keep my hands in this position even in hairpin turns. While you can get away with shifting mid-corner without losing control when driving well below the limits of adhesion, I just wouldn't attempt it when the wheel and paddles are rotated that far around. If I drove using a 9 and 3 hand position, or if I didn't keep my hands on the wheel as I turned it, then I might find the paddles awkward.

DSC Off definitely makes the car more squirrelly...and a lot quicker. Both put the bodywork at greater risk. I had commented on how the back end slid out under power the first time I turned the DSC off on corner exit, but after that I managed it safely and effectively. Maximum tire grip is actually generated with some amount of slip (slip angle), and the skilled driver also sometimes intentionally induces slip to assist steering the car with his right foot, either with extra throttle to bring the back end out, a throttle lift to pivot the car in a tight corner, or a combination of both to maintain the desired line without changing steering angle through a long sweeper when taken at the limit. None of that is possible with DSC ON, and Trac DSC isn't much better. They are however extremely effective at keeping you safe in normal use, and I particularly don't recommend anyone drive with DSC Off without a high skill level and a safe place to experience the difference... and become proficient at controlling the car without a safety net.

Have a great time at your next track day, and let us know how you make out!

Bruce

Edit: I don't know what differences would be found with tires and DSC functions on my '10 vs your '08. Differences in spring rates, dampers and sway bars I've heard changed the car's handling balance in corners, and the addition of the e-diff will affect power application on corner exit. Please let us know your experience.

Last edited by Bruce H.; 10-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Bruce H., couldn't some of the XKR's "excellent" track performance just be due to your awesome driving skills?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Bruce H., couldn't some of the XKR's "excellent" track performance just be due to your awesome driving skills?
I consider my skills to be barely adequate...to think otherwise could be very dangerous on the track. The guys who think they have awesome driving skills often get themselves in trouble when they suddenly realize they've run out of talent half way around the corner. Thanks for the prop though!

Bruce

Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Great write up. I'm headed to Miami for the Jag R Experience driving event in Dec. I suspect it may rekindle my love for the big cat. BTW, I have some PSS and love them.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evoking
Great write up. I'm headed to Miami for the Jag R Experience driving event in Dec. I suspect it may rekindle my love for the big cat. BTW, I have some PSS and love them.
That's great. Maybe that's where you'll get a glimpse of the beast you're looking for! There's so much going on the first time out though I think you'll have to book some events at Road Atlanta to more fully appreciate it

Edit: Ooops, wrong city...but I believe you have local tracks including a spectacular new one (C.O.T.A.).

Last edited by Bruce H.; 11-05-2012 at 06:47 AM.