XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Transfer VVT to a non VVT engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 07:09 AM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
If i'm not mistaken, it was not the entire bank damaged, only this one cylinder? In which case a poor injector not delivering enough fuel would cause a lean condition in that cylinder, and with the other three cylinders on that bank being fuelled correctly, the AFR reading from the O2 sensor on that bank may not have been far enough out for the ECM to see it as lean.

Not leakage, but blockage. Not enough fuel = lean.

I have seen similar damage to pistons on motors running nitrous oxide, too lean, too hot, hole burnt through at the skirt.
The pistons are aluminium, the rings are steel, as are the valves, you know the properties of Alu compared to steel...

I'm not saying this is what happened, i'm saying you should check the injector flow rates to rule it out as a possibility.
Yes could be a possible reason for that fault. I will definitely check the injectors to avoid damage in the new block and pistons. :-)

Old 11-19-2019, 02:28 AM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello guys,

I have good news, our Jag is running now
We have replaced the old engine with a used one (about 85.000 kilometers)

I know this thread is about VVT but the discussion came up here so I want to give you also information about the damaged engine.

I have checked all the injectors with a special machine and they all were in very good condition. But one thing was really broken, it was the thermostat.
The leaking seal of the thermostat was really in bad condition. I thnik the thermostat clamped sometimes because of the damaged sealing. The car had also overheating problems sometimes but only for a short period of time.

What I do not understand is, why this car hasn't any gauge for the cooling water temperature You only get the information that the engine is too hot but this information comes little bit too late in my opinion

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

You have couple of choices.
Install a thermocouple and put a small led meter inside the cabin.
OR
Use a ODB device, which not only gives you temperature display but most crucially sounds an alarm when temp reaches over your set amount. (a forum member gave me one of these, they are just brilliant, I have it on side my seat in unused space)

Fantastic thread thanks for let us know the conclusion.