XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Transmission Fluid drainage volume

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019 | 11:55 AM
DGL
|
Veteran Member
Default Transmission Fluid drainage volume

I'm doing a transmission fluid change. Just finished a brake flush and ediff fluid change. Only recovered about 4.7-4.8 liters after draining removing pan and measuring all oil. Most of the oil would be in the torque converter and cooler. This seems to be a small amount compared the amount I've read it takes for a change, around 7 liters for a pan drop and replace. I was hoping to change more than half of the total fluid which is about 11 liters.

Last edited by DGL; 12-29-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2019 | 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Mine took just over eight quarts.
You didn't have any leaks or anything? That's an awful low amount to have come out. Maybe low from a previous change? Low from Jump? Dunno, man.
Since "Fill to hole while operating", it will probably take at least seven liters. It doesn't matter how much is in the rest of the trans or in the Torque Converter, everything will be running, hot and full while finishing the change.
HINT:
Make sure you have enough fluid on-hand before the procedure, you don't want to use every drop and not be full. I had a case, still have 2-1/2 left.

Old 12-29-2019 | 01:21 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Mine took just over eight quarts.
You didn't have any leaks or anything? That's an awful low amount to have come out. Maybe low from a previous change? Low from Jump? Dunno, man.
Since "Fill to hole while operating", it will probably take at least seven liters. It doesn't matter how much is in the rest of the trans or in the Torque Converter, everything will be running, hot and full while finishing the change.
HINT:
Make sure you have enough fluid on-hand before the procedure, you don't want to use every drop and not be full. I had a case, still have 2-1/2 left.
Did you measure the amount of fluid that came out of your drain and pan removal? After reading some BMW forums for a drain and pan change 5 liters seem normal.

Last edited by DGL; 12-29-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2019 | 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Did you measure the amount of fluid that came out of your drain and pan removal? After reading some BMW forums for a drain and pan change 5 liters seem normal.
It is. Your's is a little light. It's what you add in the matters more. If you let it sit overnight as is normal and you're vehicle was/is level, 5-6 liters should come out.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019 | 02:31 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
It is. Your's is a little light. It's what you add in the matters more. If you let it sit overnight as is normal and you're vehicle was/is level, 5-6 liters should come out.
Car is not perfectly level. I did let it drain over night. What is most confusing is most refills take 6-7 liters for a simple drain and pan drop and what I can find for volume drained out is 5-6 liters. I'll ensure it is level on the fill procedure. I'll put a 4' level along the side sills and find a way to level from side to side. I'll like to drain as much as possible of the 11 or so complete transmission fluid. One would think there would be a safe and recommended procedure for a complete drain and refill of the cooler, torque converter and transmission since it is one system.

Old 12-29-2019 | 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Car is not perfectly level. I did let it drain over night. What is most confusing is most refills take 6-7 liters for a simple drain and pan drop and what I can find for volume drained out is 5-6 liters. I'll ensure it is level on the fill procedure. I'll put a 4' level along the side sills and find a way to level from side to side. I'll like to drain as much as possible of the 11 or so complete transmission fluid. One would think there would be a safe and recommended procedure for a complete drain and refill of the cooler, torque converter and transmission since it is one system.
There is if you do a search.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sh-diy-217150/

Last edited by jackra_1; 12-29-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2019 | 05:33 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
jackra, Thanks for the link. This is exactly what I was looking for. I was actually thinking about doing the complete fluid change through the cooler lines, but the cooler is in a very tight location in front of the left wheel by the air intake. I thought of researching more about the transmission fluid system to find another way then decided to just leave well enough alone, or just got lazy.

I did search, but limited it to the X150 section thinking this link would have shown up. It may be helpful to members to have this link in the maintenance sticky section for X150. I think I've read every thread on transmission fluid posted on the X150 section. Now that I'm doing a complete fluid exchange I may want to go with LG6 fluid (12 liters of Jaguar fluid is very expensive). I was going to purchase the fluid from Jaguar only because I don't want to mix fluids and didn't want to take the chance that LG6 is different from Jaguar fluid. There are a lot of posts and discussion about fluid compatibility. IMO the Jaguar fluid is probably identical to LG6, just repackaged and sold to Jaguar by ZF and ZF gets it from a fluid manufacture. So Jaguar brings in another distribution markup on top of ZF's markup to please ZF, the fluid manufacturer and maintain their warranty relationship with ZF. It would be nice to know the manufacturer. This gets confusing when distributors, like Jaguar, and others, advocate their version of ZF transmission fluid they use has enhanced modifiers etc to protect their market. I'm still confused because I don't know the truth.

Old 12-29-2019 | 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

There is a lot of info on the subject in here ....somewhere. Cannot locate at the moment.

Old 12-29-2019 | 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
It would be nice to know the manufacturer.
I told you but you may not have realized.
Ravenol makes the ZF fluid- Ravenol sells it directly as Ravenol brand.

Old 12-29-2019 | 06:16 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I told you but you may not have realized.
Ravenol makes the ZF fluid- Ravenol sells it directly as Ravenol brand.
Thanks. I've read this in a different thread; however, how certain are you that it is Ravenol and does Ravenol manufacture different flavors with different modifiers for ZF to sell to different Vehicle manufactures, such as Audi, BMW, Hyundai, Jaguar etc. Are they all 100 percent identical with no additional modifiers? Can you answer this question with 100% confidence?

Old 12-29-2019 | 06:22 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

I just checked the price of Ravenol for the ZF 6HP and it is very expensive. More expensive than ZF LG6.

Old 12-29-2019 | 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

I opted for ZF LG6 when I did my flush and fill and just now again as I rebuild my transmission. However I think some sellers are offering what to me looks like a knock off
ZF LG6.

I am not so worried about price as I hope I will not be doing another change for 60K miles.

Old 12-29-2019 | 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Thanks. I've read this in a different thread; however, how certain are you that it is Ravenol and does Ravenol manufacture different flavors with different modifiers for ZF to sell to different Vehicle manufactures, such as Audi, BMW, Hyundai, Jaguar etc. Are they all 100 percent identical with no additional modifiers? Can you answer this question with 100% confidence?
ZF Lifeguard 6, that only comes in one flavor, to the best of my knowledge.
CTS https://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=home only has one kind of ZF6, and they have used it on tons of Jags.

Old 12-29-2019 | 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I just checked the price of Ravenol for the ZF 6HP and it is very expensive. More expensive than ZF LG6.
LG6 is $20 a liter on sale.
Ravenol 6HP is $50 for 4 liters on sale.

Both are made in Germany, one is made by a lubrication company.

Old 12-29-2019 | 09:46 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

ZF Lifeguard 6, that only comes in one flavor, to the best of my knowledge.
CTS https://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=home only has one kind of ZF6, and they have used it on tons of Jags.
Yes,ZF LG6 sold under the ZF LG6 label comes in one flavor under the ZF LG6 brand. However, many automobile manufactures use ZF transmissions and sell their own brand of transmission fluid. The question is, is Jaguar transmission fluid ZF LG6 in a Jaguar bottle or is it ZF LG6 with modifiers to meet Jaguar standards (hence a different flavor)?

Old 12-29-2019 | 09:53 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

LG6 is $20 a liter on sale.
Ravenol 6HP is $50 for 4 liters on sale.

Both are made in Germany, one is made by a lubrication company.
On ebay.ca Ravenol is $45CAD/ litre and LG6 is $35CAD/ litre. Jaguar transmission fluid is $50/ litre from my dealer. All 3 are probably all the same. My Jaguar dealer say's they add a modifier.

Old 12-30-2019 | 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Unless you're doing a full flush, replace the fluid with the same fluid you have. Don't mix tranny fluids in the ZF. It doesn't sound like you're agonizing over the money so go with the ZF and be done with it for another 80,000 km.

Old 12-30-2019 | 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Yes,ZF LG6 sold under the ZF LG6 label comes in one flavor under the ZF LG6 brand. However, many automobile manufactures use ZF transmissions and sell their own brand of transmission fluid. The question is, is Jaguar transmission fluid ZF LG6 in a Jaguar bottle or is it ZF LG6 with modifiers to meet Jaguar standards (hence a different flavor)?
At this point I bet you are ready to pay money to find that answer.

Its right in front of you. Yes there were some ZF Transmissions that used a variation- and Ravenol points them out. All you need to know is that super secret specification JLR uses on the transmission fluid- Ravenol created that specification and they have it too.
Attached spec pdf.

Also, there are several companies that specialize in ZF service kits. Not one of them have I ever found to use friction modifier with ZF fluid.
But if you are ever looking for one, this is godsend according to everyone thats used it, including oem.
https://www.lubegard.com/products/red/#section6

Look Britpart supplies their kits with Ravenol now. Keep in mind, it makes them liable!
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR007474BPKIT

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RAVENOL_ATF_6HP_Fluid.pdf (116.0 KB, 48 views)
The following users liked this post:
guy (01-06-2020)
Old 12-30-2019 | 10:53 AM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Unless you're doing a full flush, replace the fluid with the same fluid you have. Don't mix tranny fluids in the ZF. It doesn't sound like you're agonizing over the money so go with the ZF and be done with it for another 80,000 km.
I'm doing a full fluid exchange using Don's method. My 2014 has only 14,000 miles, but the fluid is 6 years old. For peace of mind I'd rather have the fluid changed than have in churning around in the transmission. The 4.6 liters I drained was dark brown and the magnets on the bottom of the pan showed a small amount of metal which I expected. The shifts and works like new. However, the thought of having this 6 year old fluid in the transmission was enough for me to change it and than I'm good for another 6 years. I'm going with Jaguar transmission fluid specified for the car and bought from my dealer. The difference in price between ZF or any other recommended brand is negligible over six years.

The following 4 users liked this post by DGL:
jackra_1 (12-30-2019), pwpacp (12-30-2019), Queen and Country (12-30-2019), Sean W (12-30-2019)
Old 01-04-2020 | 01:53 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

I was excited to have found a transmission fluid method to change the complete transmission fluid, or I thought so. After giving Don's Transmission Fluid Flush procedure some thought I discovered it only deals with the fluid in the transmission and torque converter if the transmission has access to the fluid in the torque converter during the process through the opening and closing of valves which I assume can be achieved my running the transmission through the gears and settings. Don's procedure in effect isolates the transmission cooler and its lines from the circulatory transmission fluid system and effectively is not changed by the procedure. To change the transmission fluid in the cooler and its lines a separate procedure will need to be done to purge the fluid by way of an evacuator or pump.

Don's procedure: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sh-diy-217150/

Picture of transmission cooler and lines:

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid drainage volume