XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Transmission going crazy after fluid replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020 | 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Ucinski
I have 2011 XKR with 67000 miles and decided to do ediff and transmision flush and pan filter replace at my indy shop.
Picked up my car and noticed that 2 and 3 gear shifts are jerky, also under hard acceleration from a stop transmission goes crazy like it doesn't know what gear it should be. When coming to dead stop from a hard acceleration i noticed a dip in RPMs then RPMs recover to normal idle but one time car completely died at dead stop ( had to restart and it was fine). Took my car back to the same shop, they took it to a guy with SDD that updated transmission software . picked car up and same thing keep happening. Hard shifts. Dips in rpms when coming to complete stop. Weird shifting points. All those issues are happening between 0-80mpg speeds. It drives just fine on highway… i did 250 miles since i picked the car second time from the shop and the issue didnt resolve by itself
Anyone had similar issues? I dont know what to do next ,and im afraid to drive the car …
not trying to be funny but dude...You only suppose to let the certified mechanics at the Jaguar dealership service your jag to make sure you getting the right amount fluid and the exact right type of fluid and etc. I mean when I asked the local Jaguar dealership i'm near,they say they'll change it for me.Remember this is not a toyota where you can take to any shop where they can use almost any type of transmission fluid for it and send you on your way

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 06-30-2020 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2020 | 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Barry Leftwich
not trying to be funny but dude...You only suppose to let the certified mechanics at the Jaguar dealership service your jag to make sure you getting the right amount fluid and the exact right type of fluid and etc. I mean when I asked the local Jaguar dealership i'm near,they say they'll change it for me.Remember this is not a toyota where you can take to any shop where they can use almost any type of transmission fluid for it and send you on your way
It is not rocket science and this transmission is used in lots of other makes of cars.

You just need a mechanic that knows what they are doing.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

One of the Jaguar dealer mechanics i know from high school is STILL a giant pot head that didn't have any brain cells to dim even then. There are good mechanics all over the place, not just at a dealer. There are crap mechanics all over, independents and dealers. The jaguar techs on these forums are outstanding but they can attest that every shop has at least one idiot lol.

Any shop that can't change 6HP26 transmission fluid safely and properly has stupid people on staff. BMW, JLR, Aston, and MANY other brands use this or a variant of it in a LOT of their cars.

The following 3 users liked this post by 80sRule:
barnsie (07-01-2020), Cee Jay (06-30-2020), Sean W (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020 | 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 80sRule
One of the Jaguar dealer mechanics i know from high school is STILL a giant pot head that didn't have any brain cells to dim even then. There are good mechanics all over the place, not just at a dealer. There are crap mechanics all over, independents and dealers. The jaguar techs on these forums are outstanding but they can attest that every shop has at least one idiot lol.

Any shop that can't change 6HP26 transmission fluid safely and properly has stupid people on staff. BMW, JLR, Aston, and MANY other brands use this or a variant of it in a LOT of their cars.
Well if they do it wrong at the dealership and you not taking your chances with off brand mechanic shops, you'll atleast be covered by a warranty if your transmission is jacked up after the dealership perfoms maintenance on it and wouldn't have to worry about where the money for a new transmission gone come from if they messed it up at the off brand mechanic shop, and that's the whole benefit of the doubt

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 07-01-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2020 | 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule

Pretty simple here. If the car went in and the transmission was acting normal but the customer wanted a preventative maintenance fluid change . Then if the service was done and you now have a problem the shop who did the change screwed up. Regardless if it was a dealer or private shop they own the problem. So they fix it or get sued. If a dealer has a pot head tech then they are at greater risk so I doubt they would keep an employee like that. There are a lot of good/great mechanics out there but all of them don't have all of the "tools" that a dealership has. Lets see how the lawyers handle this if the owner pushes the repair.

Old 07-01-2020 | 01:04 PM

Not trying to be funny either, but it's a strange idea that Jaguar dealers have some sort of monopoly on talent. My experience is pretty much the opposite. For decades I have had better service for my Porsches, Mercedes and Jaguars from Independents, than from any of the manufacturer's agents. YMMV of course.