XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tune Issues and Resolution

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
You need the Jag tools to do so, mine would erase it but it would come back.

Disconnecting the battery resets the ECM so eventually the code pops up and if it doesn't clear itself after a certain amount of time the ECM makes an adaptation. At least that's how I understand it. The code has not been back at all lately and I have no idea what caused it to begin with.
Okay now I see...Thanks for clearing that up.

As I've mentioned before, my car has felt the same since the original tune so I imagine I have not thrown any codes that would revert my tune to a stock setting.

After reading about your car "losing" the tune, almost every time I drive I find a place to romp on it for a bit and it still pulls like a freaking freight train and I'm instantly in triple digits. I remember how it was fast before the tune, but nothing like that. I'll still plan to do a dyno later this year to double check and will post the results.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
As a potential customer not involved with this situation, I don't think Max's concerns were with your tune, in fact he has defended your tune multiple times and even said that your tune worked great up until the point it stop working, whether that had anything to do with your program was not the concern. The concern was your lack of response to Max's questions & issues with his car and/or tune when it stopped working. If this is incorrect then please defend this with an acknowledgement that you made every effort to make it right and provided a solution. That is what customer service is all about.

If there was nothing wrong with your file, then what did the UK tuner do to fix it?

I am not trying to stir anything up but again as an outside observer and potential client I would like to see some answers so I don't have to go through the same trial and error.

Thank you very much in advance for your follow up.
Thank you for taking the time to ask questions. I’m reading this as there was an issue with my product and RSC / their consultants have fixed the issue with my product.

“The Eurocharged tune was still in place but not being used as it was not properly referenced in the "mapping table" in the ECM.”

“The Eurocharged tune is awesome but it caused an intermittent misfire”

“Once he cleared the misfire, changed the checksum he found a problem in the Eurocharged tune.”

“but missed some steps that ALL tuners with Jags are missing as they are not the ones writing these tunes, but maybe modifying them. “

“He made a couple changes to the Eurocharged tune so we don't cross have the same problem again”

I admit that Max may have not received a phone call back. Max would email and call about the same time. I replied to his emails and those answers he was not happy with. I didn't feel a need to pick up the phone and call him regarding the same issue I just emailed about. I also travel quite a bit and can sometimes be in countries with a 12 hour time difference. It’s not always feasible to pick up the phone and call. It’s very hard to diagnose a car remotely.

My last reply to Max was on 6/10/2014 and he sent no email after this one. I explained to him that he could be hitting a protection limiter or something else that is keeping the power down. I also suggested to him that he could ship the car to us for diagnosis.

“If there was nothing wrong with your file, then what did the UK tuner do to fix it?”

I would like the UK Tuner and RSC to answer your question. I was told over the phone that there was nothing wrong with my file. I have the phone call recorded and will be glad to post up the sound clip… I just need their permission.

Thank you for giving me the chance to discuss this with you.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wlw@RSC
We can't seem to figure out why Eurocharged is insinuating that were dragging his company through the mud.

Further than that lets stick to the facts. Customer brought car to Eurocharged to tune vehicle.

Customer was not satisfied with performance of vehicle after tuning, and believed the tune was no longer installed.

Customer comes to us and asks for help because he could not attain proper support from Eurocharged.

All we did was try and help a fellow member of the jaguar community free of charge.

We will follow this up with a phone call to Jerry @ Eurocharged
Further than that lets stick to the facts. Customer brought car to Eurocharged to tune vehicle. – Yes, Max brought the car to us to tune after RSC failed at creating any power at all with the car previously. In fact, the RSC tune on the car was stock when we read the ECU. The customer paid you for a stock tune.

Customer was not satisfied with performance of vehicle after tuning, and believed the tune was no longer installed. – This is not true. He is 100% happy with the performance of the tune. Yes, he does believe the tune was no longer installed.

Customer comes to us and asks for help because he could not attain proper support from Eurocharged. – His emails were answered and he chose not to accept what we said. He wasn’t ignored and we attempted to help.

All we did was try and help a fellow member of the jaguar community free of charge. – Free of charge? Max admits to paying you for a tune that he never received. I have the emails stating this and I read the ECU off and saw the file was stock! Again, you’re making yourself out to be the hero here and you know for a fact that you are not. Quote from Max - “The problem is I had to pay two separate companies to get one tune to work. “

Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

After four phone calls and that two emails why would I try again? You told me to ship you my car, and that will never happen in 100 years, and you knew that so that's the option you gave me. At that point I wrote you off parked the car and almost sold it.

Then I got a call from RSC, we think we know whats wrong with your car. The tuner has replicated it on other cars. Will you please let us try with your car again. In all my desperation and frustration I said yes. What else was I to do?

The UK tuner changed the fuel trim as the car was to lean and the base O2 value for the rear O2 sensors. That made it run even better, and he also tuned the TCU.

He also cleared the code that had always been there, stay working past a few hundred miles. Your answer was to ship my car to you, you had my ECM you would have seen the code Its been in the ECM history since I bought the car.

He didn't change your tune he changed base values you never even looked at and made the car run better than it did with only your tune.

All this is about is a tuner responding to a customer... Your asking the same questions over and over and they are in this thread.

No ones a HERO, you both gave me tunes that didn't fully function at the beginning... The difference is one company came back and fixed my ECM to use your tune.

To us customers "tuning" means more than loading a file, but also making sure it works as advertised and still works down the road. If not some support would be nice as we obviously can't go to the dealer.

Last edited by MaximA; 08-14-2014 at 02:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
Panthro (08-05-2016), Swimref (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaximA
After 4 phone calls and that email why would I try again? You told me to ship you my car, and that will never happen in 100 years, and you knew that so that's the option you gave me. At that point I wrote you off parked the car and almost sold it.

Then I got a call from RSC, we think we know whats wrong with your car. The tuner has replicated it on other cars. Will you please let us try with your car again. In all my desperation and frustration I said yes. What else was I to do?

The UK tuner changed the fuel trim as the car was to lean and the base O2 value for the rear O2 sensors. That made it run even better, and he also tuned the TCU.

He didn't change your tune he changed values you never even looked at and made the car run better than it did with only your tune.

All this is about is a tuner responding to a customer... Your asking the same questions over and over and they are in this thread.
Max - We have cars shipped to our facility from all over the USA. There are many cars here now that are less expensive than yours here for work and diagnostic issues. It is not uncommon for customers to ship us cars when asked. I'm sorry that this option was too far out for you.

Who told you the fuel trim was too lean? I think you are being fed information that is incorrect. The fuel trim you referenced of -4.7% will constantly change. There is no way to lock fuel trims at -4.7% across the entire RPM band. The fuel trim is in place so the ECU can adjust the AFR (air fuel ratio) as needed for the surrounding environment. Please go get any OBDII scanner that can access the PID’s of the ECU and you can check the Fuel Trims.
For the record, -4.7% is well within factory specs and is even tighter than the stock file on some cars. You can drive this same car up to Atlanta in December and the fuel trims would change to +5.0% or more.

I was told something completely different on the phone with the UK tuner.

I'm very sorry that the communication between you and I was not handled accordingly. I apologize that you had to bring the car back to RSC to have it diagnosed. I'm not mad at you, Max. I'm upset that you were fed bad information. In the end, I'm happy that the car is running right and that Eurocharged was a part of it. If I can ever do anything for you, please let me know. We even have a new XKR-S GT race car variant file that we will be rolling out to customers soon.

The following 5 users liked this post by Eurocharged:
Matt in Houston (08-14-2014), Ngarara (08-14-2014), Panthro (08-05-2016), TraxtarXKR (07-29-2019), WaltB (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Jerry,

Thank you very much for the call, it was very much appreciated after all the heated discussions starting yesterday. That took some guts to call me and goes a long way with all of us, I'm sure.

Guys hes sending me over corrections for the first post to better explain what was going on with my ECU and is willing to show me around the software. Once I've done this I can better explain ECU functionality and we won't end up in this mess again.

I'm hoping this will add to the community and put all these ECM questions to bed. Soon as I have the vetted information I'll post it and hopefully we are all the wiser about our cars after the fact.

Thank you all for the comments, exchanges and I hate it got to this point as I just wanted a working car. Yes the Eurocharged tune works we all knew that but getting down to the why does it stop working was the issue. Both RSC and Jerry did contact the tuner and he explained the issue. Soon as I have everything officially explained I'll update the original post with the corrected information and we can all have 600HP jags

The following 7 users liked this post by MaximA:
axr6 (08-14-2014), jahummer (08-14-2014), Matt in Houston (08-14-2014), Mulmur (08-14-2014), Ngarara (08-14-2014), Norri (08-14-2014), panels (01-15-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Thanks for all involved and I definitely hope that an explanation will follow that most of us can comprehend. I've been interested in a tune but, has been discouraged by the troubles listed in various posts. If you guys can put my (and other's) mind to rest regarding the viability of the tunes, I'll be ready.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

I'll do what I can Albert, and feel free to send me questions and I'll do my best to get all the information together.

This is one car that has no good public information when it comes to tuning, and why I went on this mission as I always have to understand how things work. Tuning has to be the most asked question on the forum..

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Thanks, Max & Jerry, for burying the hatchet and getting towards some resolution on this. I'm very interested in what the situation with ECU tunes is, how they might be 'lost', and how to make sure that a tuner understands the issue and how to avoid it. Since I'm on the other side of the pond, I want to know what questions to ask, to be sure I'm dealing with someone with the right knowledge.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm more interested in the transmission tuning... more on that please

Old 08-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Hmm, yeah - how do we stop the TCM from sticking its oar in and cutting the torque? And how can I get the R-S tune into the ADC and ABS modules? My car has the same hardware as an R-S, but no-one seems to be able to give me the later software.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

I'm glad everyone is talking about this with the objective to find a tune that works on these cars considering both the ECM and TCM. This will benefit everyone. With all of the threads and discussions on tuning the 5L SC engine to work with the TCM I personally am not convinced a stable product is available and supported. However, progress is being made; as painful as it may be it is still progress. To buy into an ECM/TCM tune to put on my $100,000 car the tuner must demonstrate competence in the product and be able to back it up with customer support. All tunes should be sold with full documentation of the product (what the customer gets, technical details of the tune and how it works on the car with existing protection software, etc.) and what support is included. I have not seen any documentation from any tuner-WTF. Consequently, I'm inclined to believe, the tuner only wants to make a quick $1,000-$2,000 and doesn't know what he is doing and worse doesn't care. I'll keep my money before giving it to some hack to f...k with my car. What would it take for a competent tuner to document his product? I don't think this is asking for too much, unless he doesn't understand it. Any astute business person or customer as a minimum should expect a well document product. Without a well developed product and supporting documentation everything is BS. This is why we keep visiting this topic. Doesn't any tuning shop know how to market a "good" product for the 5L SC engine? I keep seeing offerings to grab $1,000-2,000 from Jaguar owners with no product documentation. Can you imagine if all business was conducted this way what a mess society would be in. We would all be in the scamming and fraud business.

Tuning shops: Get your act together before asking someone to pay you $1,000-$2,000 for something you don't document. I can't believe people are paying this for something that could be BS. Run your business like a business should be. Let the customer know completely whnt he is paying for, how it works, the shortcomings and what support is offered.

Last edited by DGL; 08-14-2014 at 06:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
jahummer (08-14-2014), ralphwg (08-15-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I'm glad everyone is talking about this with the objective to find a tune that works on these cars considering both the ECM and TCM. This will benefit everyone. With all of the threads and discussions on tuning the 5L SC engine to work with the TCM I personally am not convinced a stable product is available and supported. However, progress is being made; as painful as it may be it is still progress. To buy into an ECM/TCM tune to put on my $100,000 car the tuner must demonstrate competence in the product and be able to back it up with customer support. All tunes should be sold with full documentation of the product (what the customer gets, technical details of the tune and how it works on the car with existing protection software, etc.) and what support is included. I have not seen any documentation from any tuner-WTF. Consequently, I'm inclined to believe, the tuner only wants to make a quick $1,000-$2,000 and doesn't know what he is doing and worse doesn't care. I'll keep my money before giving it to some hack to f...k with my car. What would it take for a competent tuner to document his product? I don't think this is asking for too much, unless he doesn't understand it. Any astute business person or customer as a minimum should expect a well document product. Without a well developed product and supporting documentation everything is BS. This is why we keep visiting this topic. Doesn't any tuning shop know how to market a "good" product for the 5L SC engine? I keep seeing offerings to grab $1,000-2,000 from Jaguar owners with no product documentation. Can you imagine if all business was conducted this way what a mess society would be in. We would all be in the scamming and fraud business.

Tuning shops: Get your act together before asking someone to pay you $1,000-$2,000 for something you don't document. I can't believe people are paying this for something that could be BS. Run your business like a business should be. Let the customer know completely whnt he is paying for, how it works, the shortcomings and what support is offered.
Yes... and the file is almost pure profit. Clearly the R&D hasn't been done and I've seen people tune cars from scratch.... It's not like is 100's of thousands of dollars to do it. 500 bucks should be the high end of the tune cost. It's BS to charge 1K or more for no more work than other tunes that cost 500. And if you charge anything at all then GET IT RIGHT - FIRST. Our cars out of production - there has been ample time.

The following 2 users liked this post by R_Rated:
DGL (08-14-2014), Panthro (08-05-2016)
Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Ok, that's enough, I'm glad that Max issues have been resolved but this thread is done.

I said keep it civil, but obviously that was asking too much.