XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tune went back to stock again

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

This is interesting....hope it can get resolved.

I am wondering if it's related to the later cars using Bosch ECU's, and the earlier ones having Denso's. It's been mentioned a few times that 2013MY onwards have Bosch, and the 2012MY & earlier is Denso. Is that correct?

Funny that nobody with an F-Type that's been tuned has mentioned anything about them reverting back to stock power levels.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
...Funny that nobody with an F-Type that's been tuned has mentioned anything about them reverting back to stock power levels.
The question really is if anyone else did the kind of objective testing (repeated dynos, track acceleration tests...) that Max had done? Otherwise, it could be difficult to tell just from regular street driving.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

I feel your pain Max. You're a warrior and enjoy your ride like no other. You've invested a lot of time and resources into setting your car up to the way you want it. I hope this gets resolved soon.

bigdhenderson (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Whether or not it gets resolved, there is simply no excuse for poor customer service. I'm sure that had you received a prompt return call or email, even if they were stumped and said that they were researching a solution, you would have been happy that your requests weren't falling on deaf ears.

Delayed or no response causes resentment which is rarely overcome. Sorry for your experience. Inexcusable!

I am considering a similar tune on a 2010 XKR I just picked up last week. I think I will see how it turns out with your car before I make that decision.

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution. Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Tune went back to stock again-dscf1187-1280x960-.jpg  
MaximA (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

They want me to ship the car to them which isn't going to happen so they win, they got rid of me. So this is a dead end, once again.

So RSC gets another try at it on Tuesday as the actual tuner will be in town. I'm taking the entire day off so he can tune my car first thing in the morning and then I can go drive it a few hundred miles and come back to see how it performing.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
This is interesting....hope it can get resolved.

I am wondering if it's related to the later cars using Bosch ECU's, and the earlier ones having Denso's. It's been mentioned a few times that 2013MY onwards have Bosch, and the 2012MY & earlier is Denso. Is that correct?

Funny that nobody with an F-Type that's been tuned has mentioned anything about them reverting back to stock power levels.
This is the part I'm not understanding it and made more frustrating by two tuners tuners telling me two different things. One will talk to me the other just writes me off and offers no help. That's the frustrating part.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Whether or not it gets resolved, there is simply no excuse for poor customer service. I'm sure that had you received a prompt return call or email, even if they were stumped and said that they were researching a solution, you would have been happy that your requests weren't falling on deaf ears.

Delayed or no response causes resentment which is rarely overcome. Sorry for your experience. Inexcusable!

I am considering a similar tune on a 2010 XKR I just picked up last week. I think I will see how it turns out with your car before I make that decision.

Hope you get a satisfactory resolution. Good luck!
A return to my email and call would have been nice. Instead now they don't take my calls or return VMs and tell me I have to send the entire car to them.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
They want me to ship the car to them which isn't going to happen so they win, they got rid of me. So this is a dead end, once again.

So RSC gets another try at it on Tuesday as the actual tuner will be in town. I'm taking the entire day off so he can tune my car first thing in the morning and then I can go drive it a few hundred miles and come back to see how it performing.
I would ask RSC what is it that they intend to do DIFFERENTLY from Eurocharged?

MaximA (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Is Eurocharged refunding your money?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Sorry for your pain Max. Eurocharged never returned my calls when I tried to make an appointment after our initial sales talk. So I never got it done.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Of course not they refuse to acknowledge it as an issue, I could care less about the refund I just want a car that works as advertised. How can it be making 530 at the wheels and running the exact same times it ran stock? Its clearly not making more than 9LBS of boost so that obviously is the tune as it was making 11LBS after it was tuned.

So this just tells me the car makes great HP on the dyno and nothing on the street or track. I'm going to dyno it again and see what the results are.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
I would ask RSC what is it that they intend to do DIFFERENTLY from Eurocharged?
I don't know they said there was another "section" of the ECM that needed to be flashed as well not just the EPROM..

At this point I've lost confidence in all the tuners and doubt anything will actually work more than a week or two as this been my experience with 2 tuners. At least one of them is trying, thats about the only positive thing I can say.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Sorry for your pain Max. Eurocharged never returned my calls when I tried to make an appointment after our initial sales talk. So I never got it done.
At least I know I'm not the only one not receiving phone calls. Guess they are too busy expanding to talk to current customers.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

So I just got off the phone with the RSC guys and the tunner. He said clearly there are two banks that contain the cars tune and only one is flashable. When you flash the EPROM it runs just fine unless the car is run hard, as mine is... If it fails certain safety checks, i.e. detonation, temperature etc. it will revert back to the non flashable tune as a fail safe so the engine does not get damaged. At this point the ECU thinks something is wrong with the "working" tune which could also be a bad/incompatible factory update and reverts back to what it knows to be "safe"

He said there is no way to stop this from happening and once it does this the only way to resolve it is to reflash the EPROM and the system defaults back to the that bank. If parameters are out of spec again it will switch back to the backup bank.

He said specifically he's only seen this a few times in cars that are tracked and driven hard. They bump lets say the knock sensor 3 time in a row and and you are reverted back to the second bank with the stock tune. So this tells me the tune was a bit aggressive for track driving but that just speculation at this point.

So we are going to try colder plugs with a smaller gap to start with.. Any other suggestions you guys have please let me know. Luckily he will be in town for a few days so I can get it tuned, tested on the track and then see where we are after that. If we need to make changes to the car we can do so while he is here.

The following 2 users liked this post by MaximA:
axr6 (06-11-2014), jahummer (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

Max - thumbs UP for you being such a great trooper for not giving up. Many of us would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. It has now become a fascinating, ongoing issue where I actually look forward to the next episode - as if it were a suspenseful TV series :-).

This would explain why some tunes are maintained while others revert back to stock. Of course, I look at that explanation as a theory, waiting to be proved, which you seem to be volunteering for. At the least, it suggests that the aggressive tune is taking the car to mighty close to the edge of safe operating parameters. Indeed, you reported some overheating conditions during some of your track runs which would back up this theory.

MaximA (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Albert, I'm not quitting until I get this resolved as the car is just perfect when running correctly tuned. Something is causing this and I have to figure out what it is.

At this point it is a theory as another tuner is saying its impossible but I didn't bring up any of the overheating issues or anything else with RSC. I can say that the shop that did the dyno on my car mentioned they had an issue with a car keeping its tune as well but I can't remember the model so that backs up what I'm being told as well.

My feeling is the tune was on the ragged edge and tracking the car sent it over that edge triggering the failsafe. Makes sense but again I'm not the ECU guru when it comes to these cars and can only listen to what the tuners are telling me.

axr6 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Max- PM sent about the tuning.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Max, my workshop manual doesn't go far enough forward to be able to confirm that story about the default tune sitting in ROM, but it certainly sounds plausible. Otherwise, where would it come from? If no-one has manually flashed the EEPROM, the only explanation is that the ECM has done it, and it could only do that if it has a backup stored somewhere.

The explanation of why it would do that also seems reasonable - if the map you have is causing the engine to operate beyond predefined 'safe' parameters, the logical conclusion from the ECM's perspective would be that you have a corrupted map. After all, the ECM doesn't know it's running a hotrod map - deviation outside the expected envelope means an error.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Max, my workshop manual doesn't go far enough forward to be able to confirm that story about the default tune sitting in ROM, but it certainly sounds plausible. Otherwise, where would it come from? If no-one has manually flashed the EEPROM, the only explanation is that the ECM has done it, and it could only do that if it has a backup stored somewhere.
I have very little doubt that there is a backup copy of the default tune.

As I mentioned in an other post, years ago I accidentally erased my ECU of my '05 XK with a code reader where it was showing the progress of erasing. The car went into limp mode following that. An hour later when I dejectedly came back to the car, to my greatest surprise, the message was showing something like, "ECU programming in progress" and, the ECU was reprogrammed with the default tune. I had to stop by the dealer to update that flash later.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Done some digging in the manual; there's several references saying "the ECM defaults to base mapping" when various error conditions occur. It's not clear if that simply means it clears any adaptions but retains the map, or whether it dumps the current map.

Have you checked whether the engine is reporting any codes indicating possible 'malfunction'?

MaximA (06-12-2014)

Quick Reply: Tune went back to stock again