XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Unhappy With My Jag Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi ,
I've posted this before! just turn on your sidelights; not too difficult!
On my US spec '07 I get both yellow and white lights on the front on each side and red lights plus number plate lights on the rear.

It's free too...............

Incidentally, Canadian spec vehicles come with DRL's as standard...................so it's probably in the CCF; my dealer wanted $125 to access this file to make my curb lights work! My answer .........I don't drive at night anymore (80yo)

Hope this helps

Cheers, Adrian

Old 10-18-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by ElGreco
My 2¢ worth on DRL, anymore they seem to be more of a brand's accent, each maker coming up with something distinct or different to set it off from a competitor's look, and less of a safety issue.
Originally Posted by britannia
Hi ,
I've posted this before! just turn on your sidelights; not too difficult!
On my US spec '07 I get both yellow and white lights on the front on each side and red lights plus number plate lights on the rear.

But neither scenario above is Jag- or Canadian-compliant spec for DLRs.

'DLR's' are headlamp low-beams only. No rear lamps. It's not equivalent to turning on the park lamps.

The following users liked this post:
britannia (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I can vaguely see they might be of some use in a largely empty country that often has poor light, though in that case the rear lights on as well would make sense.

Some idiot has decided that UK cars need DRLs. Much as I might mock our weather, the UK simply does not match the prior description other than maybe the very far north of Scotland (where something like 0.0001% of people are).

I predict more cyclists and pedestrians carelessly crossing the road will be hit due to being relatively less visible than they are now.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

SNIDE is NOT out of line here... I use this same dealership and I have serious concerns about their lack of staffing.... They have done good work for me in the past but I think they are SO LOW on staff right now they don't or cant take jobs. They are all we have in Columbus, OH.

On a side note Snide ya missed checking out my Black on Black 12 XKR with the stage 3 spires attached... not exactly sure where it is over there.

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 10-20-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:34 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

OK Lother let's break it down. Snide approached them asking them to do a "modification" not a repair to his car and at that time they refused, he didn't have to wait a period of time like yourself... very different. Whether they are under-staffed or lack the people needed to do this repair is not the case as it was in yours. He threw a tantrum and made accusations that were both immature and unjustified simply because they refused to modify his car at that time. That does not sound a related issue to what you faced.

Last edited by Leeper; 10-20-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

He may be right about the dealer (for all I can tell) but not the way he raised the matter. Sounded like a 5 yr old having a tantrum...

Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I understand everyone's point of view here... and that includes Snide's...

The dealership is either

A: Unwilling to respond
B: Unable to respond

If they are A, then they could be lying or just don't care and will say whatever they want to get customer out of their dealership without any accrued work

If they are B, then they could just be incompetent and you might have to give them a pitty party as they cry on your shoulder. At which time they wipe away the tears and say "I will have to call someone better to help you - give me a few minutes to do so".

If they are AB - They are unwilling because they are incompetent and will lie or say whatever so as to save face and get you out of the dealership while covering up their incompetency.

Only they know the truth.

That being said I have customers and I know I cant make all 100% of them happy all the time - "The answer is always YES"... but you gear them toward what you can do. I think they missed the ball here with that.

Last edited by Lothar52; 10-20-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52

The dealership is either

A: Unwilling to respond
B: Unable to respond

If they are A, then they could be lying or just don't care and will say whatever they want to get customer out of their dealership

What, do you suppose, are some possible reasons for "......want to get the customer out of their dealership" ?

Cheers
DD

Old 10-20-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
What, do you suppose, are some possible reasons for "......want to get the customer out of their dealership" ?

Cheers
DD
That would be choice C:, which would get my vote.

Doug (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks Mikey..............since I drive mainly on the freeway I want to protect my rear end as much as anything. So I think side lights are a good/easy solution for the US.

Cheers, Adrian

Old 10-20-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by britannia
Thanks Mikey..............since I drive mainly on the freeway I want to protect my rear end as much as anything. So I think side lights are a good/easy solution for the US.

Cheers, Adrian
That brings up a 'gripe' I have with DLRs, at least as seen on Canadian cars. Since the system switches on just the front lighting (no side, no rear) plus the instrument lighting, it's very common to see cars driving at night or in poor weather with only the DLRs.

There's no real clue for the driver to know any different as the instruments are lit normally and the headlamps are throwing adequate light to appear to be 'on'.

I've lost count of the number of vehicles I've approached from the rear at night with no visible lighting.

All of our cars save one have autolamp in addition to DLR. It's rare that I drive it at all, never mind at night, however I was out recently and went a good half hour before realizing that I had no rear or side lighting. Again, there was no visual clue.

DLR should include autolamp as part of the system.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased my 07 XK from Westside in Cleveland (Jaguar Westside | New Jaguar dealership in Cleveland, OH 44129). They are an outstanding dealer and took all of about 15 min (if that) to activate the Canadian specification DRL setting on my XK. I'd asked them to do this when I purchased the car so I have no idea what they'd charge someone coming in from another dealer but I suspect it would not be much. You're only a 2 hour drive, make an appointment with them. I'm on my second Jaguar with them and have also purchased a Land Rover there. Terrific dealership.

Snide72 (10-29-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 04XK8Conv
I purchased my 07 XK from Westside in Cleveland (Jaguar Westside | New Jaguar dealership in Cleveland, OH 44129). They are an outstanding dealer and took all of about 15 min (if that) to activate the Canadian specification DRL setting on my XK. I'd asked them to do this when I purchased the car so I have no idea what they'd charge someone coming in from another dealer but I suspect it would not be much. You're only a 2 hour drive, make an appointment with them. I'm on my second Jaguar with them and have also purchased a Land Rover there. Terrific dealership.
In the past I've asked my dealer (Scottsdale AZ) to change a factory setting and the answer has always been a polite no. In my case I wanted them to enable nav entry when the vehicle is moving (I understand it is actually a configuration setting).
I think their polite denial was a combination of them not wanting to vary from "official" factory Jag policy on anything, and also fear of potential liability on them in the case of an accident or whatever. I might not like or agree with it (I mean who's car is it really?) but I do understand their rationale.

The key seems to be that you asked them to change the light settings when you bought the car. I strongly suspect that if I had made the sale of the vehicle conditional on my request being met, it would have magically happened too. Theres a lesson there somewhere around things to remember to ask for when you buy a car.

Last edited by JustNiz; 11-01-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

I am pretty sure the navigation is not a dealer programmable option. There are other dealer options in IDS but they are market & model year specific. A couple of examples are the alarm chirping when locking & unlocking or global open & close. We would charge $135.00 to custom program a car with available options. The frustrating thing would be on some years you can change things & other years not. If I read the original post correctly it sounded as though he expected the programing for free. I think that is an unrealistic expectation on his part.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default No Expectation Of Free Service

For those of you who are participating in this "Bash Snide72" feeding frenzy - let me set the record straight. I read on this forum where other forum members had their Jag dealer perform this quick DRL computer setting change, and most said the dealer not only did it, but they did it at no charge. When I went to my Jag dealer, I only ask if they could perform the DRL computer setting change in question. The topic of 'cost' never came up - not by me - and not by them. When I was told that they couldn't do it, I politely said, "Thanks anyway." and I left. Contrary to what most of you have assumed, at no time did I ask for it to be done for free nor did I expect them to do it for free - especially since I did not buy my Jag at their dealership. In my 50+ years of owning cars, I've never had a dealership state that they could not or would not perform a particular function if the car I drove in was the same make that their dealership sold. Therefore, knowing that they had the computer, the software and the service manuals required to perform the function, I don't think it was unreasonable of me while driving home to wonder if one possibility was that they (for whatever reason) may have lied to me. I did not call anyone a liar, I only threw the possibility of them lying to me out to see if any of you thought that could be the case, and if so, why.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Perhaps they were simply mistaken rather than lying?

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
JgaXkr (11-01-2015), Snide72 (11-01-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
For those of you who are participating in this "Bash Snide72" feeding frenzy -

It's your second post, post #3 in the thread, that got you into trouble.

Contrary to what most of you have assumed, at no time did I ask for it to be done for free nor did I expect them to do it for free -

You mentioned the 'no cost' aspect in the first post, in upper case letters. That's like shouting. It isn't a huge leap from there to assume that having it done at no cost was important to you.

I did not call anyone a liar, I only threw the possibility of them lying to me out to see if any of you thought that could be the case, and if so, why.
FWIW...

Y'know, for many people, if you don't get the answer you're expecting, or would prefer, jumping straight to "are they lying?" isn't very cool. Especially if based on just one interaction. It just doesn't set a very good tone for the discussion. Just my opinion.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-02-2015, 03:02 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

SNIDE -

adjective, snider, snidest. 1. derogatory in a nasty, insinuating manner: I highly doubt you' ll take the moment to even consider anyone's opinion if it differs from your but here goes.

There's the dictionary's definition of the word... how well that shoe fits...

Go back and read through your initial post, then those following and have someone near you explain how it came off as accusatory with respect to you calling them a liar, then the "snide" tone thereafter. Now that you've been called out by me and others on this forum you come here in a passive-aggressive manner hoping for sympathy?!?! That's truly sad... There's was a chance that perhaps you'd learn from this but obviously the leopard doesn't change it's spots.

Again -you went to a dealership asking them to perform something on your car that is NOT, repeat NOT, something that is a standard repair on your car to which you got angry with them for not doing. Why get angry with them?!?! You couldn't just walk away you had your feelings hurt and thought coming here you'd get support which you did not. The car was not broken, they didn't break it or do anything to your car and they opted not to do so for reasons you do not know why yet you jumped to conclusions because it didn't fit your "wants" then you came here and voiced your disapproval in a perceived emotional manner, made unfounded baseless accusations after that you got called out for the immature manner you expressed your emotional incident you got more emotional, more agitated, and more immature resorting to name calling. We're not hear to dole out hugs and tell everyone how wonderful they are. Now you're "butt-hurt" and accuse us (me in particular as I was the first and major person to begin disagreeing with you) of bashing?!?!?! Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?!?!?! You "Bash" in your words, that dealership terribly but that was OK you got called out here and you seem really upset, boy if that isn't the most hypocritical thing I've heard in a long time... sure you're not a politician running for president? Time to grow a pair. Trying to defend yourself instead of taking a long hard look at the poor manner you handled this whole endeavor just pours gasoline onto the fire even more so.

Passive-aggressive behavior is the indirect expression of hostility, such as through procrastination, stubbornness, sullenness, or deliberate or repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.

If that doesn't hit the nail squarely on the head I don't know what does...

Leeper