XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Unless someone can talk me out of this....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I will throw my .02 in.
It sounds like my situation was somewhat similar to yours. I have always had a Mustang or some type of muscle car as my 3rd car, but wanted to get something a bit more refined I had looked at XKRs for a while, but wanted to get a 2012 or newer, primarily because the car didn't have any major changes after that. I also wanted to make sure I found something that either was still in warranty, or was certified. I found a 13 XKR last month at a local Jag dealer and love the car, but have already had it in the shop to have the control module replaced, which would have been very pricey had it not been covered. Personally I would be leery of purchasing a car like this without a warranty, unless I set aside some reserves for any issues that arise.
Good luck!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

My advice: stop thinking about "price when you sell it" and stick to your old program of holding cars for a while. With a car like this, two years would be a tough hold-and-sell timeframe.
You sound like me: you love your car and hold it for years and put big miles on it. No problem with that. So why not hope you'll fall in love with this car, hold it for, say, five years, 80K miles, and assume you'll get maybe 12K for it then?
Almost every single person on this forum loves their car. Personally, I put a high price tag on that feeling. If someone offered me a fully loaded 2010 Toyota Celica - by all accounts a perfectly reasonable car - It'd be worth a couple hundred a month to me to keep the XKR simply for the enjoyment alone. Over time, that's at least fifteen, twenty grand worth of happiness. Just sayin.
Oh and PS: I'm in the pro-warranty crowd.

Last edited by pk4144; 11-21-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Ok, I pulled the trigger on this. Hopped a flight to FL, drove up coast, caught auto train to DC and drove to Boston. Auto train was the worst part of it. Easier transaction with $, registration, insurance than I thought it would be. Still exploring all this car has to offer... initial impressions are WoW!, I have been missing a lot in terms of luxury, technology and power. I'll post my experiences here and will probably be looking for some of the ares or items to check out further or recommendations on what new Jag owners can expect...but for now, I am happy to be an official Jaguar owner.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:13 AM

I hear you PK. After my initial experience, it is all about the experience of driving/owning this piece of automotive art. Who knows, maybe the idea would be to start a collection. My 2 college age kids many not like that response as I'd be pulling from their tuition. In any even, great responses here, keep them coming.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 916 Posts

Welcome! Good Choice!! Make sure ypu post pictures so we all can admire.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Let's see some pictures!!!

Old 11-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Old 11-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Congratulations!!

Nice machine welcome to the club

I still adore my vehicle almost after 3yrs of ownership

Old 11-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 916 Posts

Great car. Welcome to the club. Your first modification should be Jaguar Wrangler's Remote top and rear window controller. Steve is a member of the forum and all around good guy and a great inventor. Go to thejaguarwrangler.com for both a demo and when you are ready to order.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Nice! I love that color on these cars.
Where in Mass are you? Let us know if you take it out in the winter at all...

Old 11-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Sharp car, the aluminum side view mirrors would be good match. Don't install a front plate! I haven't had one in 15 years and only was ticketed twice; both while the car was parked at a meter (in Watertown Sq).

Old 11-28-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by J5hort
I have been missing a lot in terms of luxury, technology and power.
Congratulations, the pictures show a sweet machine!

Moving into this car class will spoil you, now that you have done it you are ruined for buying anything that doesn't match it's luxury and distinction.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
Moving into this car class will spoil you, now that you have done it you are ruined for buying anything that doesn't match it's luxury and distinction.
My wife uttered this exact sentiment to me this weekend

Congrats on the purchase J5hort!

Old 11-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
My wife uttered this exact sentiment to me this weekend
Yeah, me too. The XK is her daily driver. When I bought the BMW 650 back in 2009 it sealed my fate, she will never drive a "regular" car now. It just doesn't feel the same.

Of course not, these cars had a starting MSRP of $90k when new. She is not a snob about it but has become very used to this class of car!

Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks All, it is great to be a part of this ownership and forum. I plan on learning as much as I can about these cars and attend any events to support the culture.

I am in South Eastern Massachusetts and the snow will be flying soon. I have 2 explorers a mustang and a Buick, so some options if I want to keep this out of the snow. I'm guessing it is more sure footed than the Mustang GT Convertible, so I have plenty of experience driving in snow.

So, I have a few things including initial TPMS for all 4 tires, Check engine P0128 code and a dipstick fastener. I may start new threads but in a nutshell TPMS was on when I bought it and dealer said it needed a reset. I drove it 700 miles (from DC) home and found reset procedure. Decided to recheck pressure and found that tires were at about 25 psi! Filled to spec and light is out. Next was P0128 code. Needed to clear and fix for MA inspection. Decided to grab emergency thermostat at Autozone to get code cleared. Took off thermostat ousing and realized that the temporary/replacement thermostat was not correct. Appears housing has built in mount for thermostat components. Also noticed that the seal inside original thermostat was curled off.. so I placed it back on plunger seat and reinstalled. Cleared code and it has not returned. M5 nut is also missing off dipstick tube. Pretty sure I pulled the dipstick and tube up when checking oil in preparation for 40K mile service. I was driving around without the nut and there seems to be no oil leakage, pretty sure I pulled the tube up but it must be long enough so it did not vacate hole in block. This nut is in a very hard location to replace. I plan to look a little closer when I do oil change, if I can see it from below.

So far some small things, but very easy fixes and not too expensive.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,010 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by J5hort
noticed that the seal inside original thermostat was curled off.. so I placed it back on plunger seat and reinstalled.
Had the same issue with mine, but decided that if it stretched and got out of position once, its likely to do it again, so I replaced the thermostat and housing (since its plastic and could possibly crack or break either internally or externally, and you'll find that that has happened to others). I figured since it was already apart, might as well put on a new one.

Keep us informed of other fixes you do to your beauty.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome to the club! Nice colour combo for sure. Hopefully these small niggles you are having will be soon resolved and that will be the end of it.

Enjoy the Jaguar experience, you will not be looking back.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:51 PM

Ok, so I continue to go through this car and correct anything that appears to be a problem. Mostly small stuff. On the non-technical side I noticed that there was no OEM documentation so far a user manual, etc that may have come with the car. I downloaded some PDF's so I have the info I need, but may want to have actual copies that came with car. So question is, what came with this car 2008 XKR and is there any source to acquire. Can someone with similar list or take a pic of what should have been in the glove box when car was new?

Old 12-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,010 Likes on 1,343 Posts

My 2007 didn't come with OEM docs either, but I found a set on ebay. So now they sit in my glove box (and I use the PDFs on my PC for all my referencing).

Old 12-06-2016, 09:37 AM

Do you have a list or pic of everything that was originally shipped? I would like to make sure I have it right manuals, CD's or any other items that would make it more complete and original.