XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Unusual Dashboard Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Wow. That sucks. DEFINITELY should have been disclosed.

And I will follow this thread with interest. Personally, if everything functions correctly and is readable (gas gauge, oil level, etc), I'd wait a month. You'd be surprised the things you get used to...

Old 11-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by khsjsilver
Will do. Thanks!!

Ken
Disregarding the odometer the question I have is can you just plug and play the used gauge set and will the car start and run . That would be the best option as the odometer could most likely be reset to your old mileage which you don't know.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
I have to believe that if you did the hardware change over that jaguar could them do any programming that is needed.
The curse is if you violate the PATS protocol the car will no longer start and may not start if you go back to the original setup. Ran into this with a friend on a '99 ish Mustang a couple years ago.

It's one of those is the juice worth the squeeze type things and are you a gambling man?

Old 11-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
The curse is if you violate the PATS protocol the car will no longer start and may not start if you go back to the original setup.
Well, at least you sold OP that odometer before telling him this.
Someone somewhere thanks you. lol

Old 11-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Well, at least you sold OP that odometer before telling him this.
Someone somewhere thanks you. lol
It wasn't mine dude. Sometimes you're horrible.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Ken, if you want a used center panel, you are welcome to have my spare one. Dash cluster can be removed in minutes and parts swapped in 1-1/2 hours max. Unfortunately I can’t tell you if your car will register mileage or if it will even start after. When swapping clusters on older Mercedes, if the mileage on the cluster did not match the ECU, the mileage reading had lines through them but apart from that everything worked.
I can tell you I took out my cluster, changed the piezo speaker and put it back together and all was good.

Last edited by Mufc; 11-04-2017 at 05:03 PM.
khsjsilver (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

You could contact these guys. https://www.autotronics.co.uk/jaguar...er-repair.html
Shows repair for XF but the cluster is the same. Worth giving them a call.

khsjsilver (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

You could contact these guys. https://www.autotronics.co.uk/jaguar...er-repair.html
I will definitely give them a call this week. Sounds like they should be able to answer the questions about the odometer. Thanks!

Ken

Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Active Matrix LED

The Active Matrix display fried. The bubbles are where something shorted, and overheated the top polarized plastic screen of the center LCD. Very easy to change just the LCD you disassemble Instrument Pod.

LCD is...
TPO Displays Corp
TJ035NC04AA Active Matrix Module
Visteon Part VP9W8F-17C272-AC
ZD00 110926 (Date code) A2414202GDACC1 Z138544e

I cannot be sure, but this is probably generic between XK and XF, possibly XJ.

It connects to the Instrument pod via wire ribbon cable VP9W8F-18B966-AA

ralphwg (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Active Matrix Display

Oh, I forgot...The inside Active Matrix LCD will not affect the vehicle specific encoding that is in Instrument Pod. The NVRAM an such that contains that is on the POD backplane - changing JUST the LCD in center (preferably from used or broken pod!) should not affect the immobilizer or security bits

The following 4 users liked this post by ctsemicon:
Queen and Country (11-06-2017), ralphwg (11-05-2017), Ranchero50 (11-05-2017), Sean W (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
Oh, I forgot...The inside Active Matrix LCD will not affect the vehicle specific encoding that is in Instrument Pod. The NVRAM an such that contains that is on the POD backplane - changing JUST the LCD in center (preferably from used or broken pod!) should not affect the immobilizer or security bits
So the question then becomes where is the milage stored? If it's in a chip on the board, then you can likely swap the chip as well or for those more code savvy, pull the chip and correct he mileage. I'm guessing of course.

I'm believe there are specific tools/ service providers who will perform this without removing the chip. Also, I'm not sure if SDD has the capability.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

In several places and cross-checked...

Old 11-07-2017, 12:46 PM

I've been in touch with Autotronics. They will replace the LCD panel, not the whole module, so it won't affect the mileage. The repair is not cheap (£266 plus Vat plus Shipping). Shipping will also be expensive since they want you to send the entire instrument cluster. It's still a lot less than replacing the whole instrument cluster. Also, since it's the same instrument cluster, I don't need to worry about reprogramming the keys.

Just not really crazy about shipping my cluster to the UK and back.

I receive the instrument cluster today that I bought on eBay. Next step is to see how easy (or hard) it is to take apart the instrument cluster and pull out the LCD from the donor LCD module.

Ken

Last edited by khsjsilver; 11-07-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I've been in touch with Autotronics. They will replace the LCD panel, not the whole module, so it won't affect the mileage.
Ken, can you elaborate on this? What do you mean it won't affect the mileage? To be clear do you mean the current mileage of your car will display correctly? I assume that's what you meant. Were you able to identify where the mileage is stored?

The repair is not cheap (£266 plus Vat plus Shipping). Shipping will also be expensive since they want you to send the entire instrument cluster. It's still a lot less than replacing the whole instrument cluster. Also, since it's the same instrument cluster, I don't need to worry about reprogramming the keys.

Just not really crazy about shipping my cluster to the UK and back.

I receive the instrument cluster today that I bought on eBay. Next step is to see how easy (or hard) it is to take apart the instrument cluster and pull out the LCD from the donor LCD module.

Ken
Surely there's a U.S. counterpart that does this service?

Old 11-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Ken, can you elaborate on this? What do you mean it won't affect the mileage? To be clear do you mean the current mileage of your car will display correctly? I assume that's what you meant. Were you able to identify where the mileage is stored?
What I read from ctsemicon's post is the mileage is stored on a chip in the base cluster board and the LCD just plugs into that board via a ribbon cable. Seems like it would make sense that the display is just a monitor, not part of the I/C board processor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
ralphwg (11-07-2017), Sean W (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
What I read from ctsemicon's post is the mileage is stored on a chip in the base cluster board and the LCD just plugs into that board via a ribbon cable. Seems like it would make sense that the display is just a monitor, not part of the I/C board processor.

I believe Ranchero50 and ctsemicon are correct.

I asked Autotronics whether they will be repairing the LCD and is that why the mileage is not affected or will they be swapping out the entire module? They replied that they will just replace the LCD and that's why it doesn't effect the programming. Also their quote listed the labor cost and the cost of the LCD Panel.

I started taking apart my donor instrument cluster following Mufc's instructions. Unfortunately when I get to the final step, I can't release the circuit board to get to the LCD since it looks like it's held on with several tiny Torx screws and I don't have a Torx screwdriver small enough.

As for finding someone local, I started googling "instrument cluster repair". I found a local speedometer shop and gave them a call. They are doing some research and will get back to me. They would consider taking the LCD from my donor cluster, but would rather put in a new LCD.

Ken

Sean W (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Lowes sells a little blue Kobalt screw driver all in one tool that has tiny torx bits down to T4 which is pretty darned tiny.

This guy...
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-18-P...driver/4176915

Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Harbor Freight has this set https://www.harborfreight.com/33-pc-...set-68459.html which may be suitable.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Default Unusual Dashboard/Instrument Cluster Problem Resolved

After much work over that last few months on my bad Instrument Cluster, I have finally come to the end. I am happy with the result even though it was more expensive than I had hoped. So here is when I ended up:

1) I had ordered a replacement instrument cluster off eBay. After much searching, I found a local car electronics guy. Although he had never worked on this particular model of Jaguar before, I gave him the eBay instrument cluster to check out. He came back to me and said that taking out the LCD panel was something he could do and was willing to swap out the LCD in my car if I brought him my bad Cluster.

2) At the same time, I brought the car into the local Jaguar dealer. They had never seen an instrument cluster go bad like this before. I ask them to contact Jaguar Corporate and a case was opened. After some back and forth, Jaguar Corporate agreed to pay half the cost of replacing the bad instrument cluster with a new one. I think the fact that I owned another Jaguar helped the negotiation.

So I had a choice. Go with the local electronics guy. Clearly the cheapest solution. Or go with Jaguar. I decided to go with Jaguar. It ended costing me $1,350 to have the cluster replaced with a new one.

If I had went with the local guy and something went wrong, I would be in a hole lot of trouble. It could end up costing me the full cost of replacing the cluster.

At the end, I am satisfied. That to all of you for your help and advise.

Ken

The following 4 users liked this post by khsjsilver:
Brian123 (05-03-2018), kj07xk (04-27-2018), ralphwg (04-28-2018), Sean W (04-27-2018)
Old 05-29-2022, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is still looking at this thread I had to do the same repair on my 2006 XK. The same "burnt out" symptoms on the center display. Been living with it for a few years but it just got worse.
It's NOT the same unit as in the XF as mentioned earlier. At least not in my car, they may have changed in later years.
Search Ali Express for the part number in the picture below. Mine was around NZ$70.
Replacement was simple once you get over the nerves of pulling the thing apart. The most challenging bit was getting the instrument needles to come off. Found the two spoon technique on Google and that worked fine.
One caution, there is a piece of trim above the steering column casing that needs to come out. It has two springs and seems to rotate around two pegs. Mine was very brittle and just came apart as soon as I touched it. Be very careful.

center cluster screen for 2006 jaguar xk
The actual screen I got from AliExpress had a slightly different part number. The only difference was the mounting points on the metal casing. I was able to swap the new screen in to the old mounting box.

Hope this helps someone.