Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Stick and paddles combo

Originally Posted by MA_XF_SC
loved the return to a stickshift style.
+1

Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately it is not a salvage/clean title issue, it is a Significant Frame Damage Issue. The car is at Dedham Automall on autotrader the carfax is -5850 from a bluebook of 52999 so thats is where i woudl probably end up on price. (25 miles from 02062). This is the link to the carfax. CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 JAGUAR XKR

Let me know what eveyone thinks. I wil only hold onto it for 2 years then it wil be going back to Jag for a used F-type S with active exhaust...

Side note, anybody know if scheduled maint is covered on a 10, My 11 was a unique year and it even covered brake pads..

Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Unfortunately it is not a salvage/clean title issue, it is a Significant Frame Damage Issue. The car is at Dedham Automall on autotrader the carfax is -5850 from a bluebook of 52999 so thats is where i woudl probably end up on price.
I'd stay away from the car. Does Herb or Kaplan have anything? I'd at least call them and tell what you are looking for.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd stay away from the car. Does Herb or Kaplan have anything? I'd at least call them and tell what you are looking for.
for 53 k it sounds very expensive, its not fair from the dealership I will say with a car fax report, I will not even want think about his warranty...

I know cars shipped oversea with a carfax report got a clear title after...

Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Any car with an accident history will be a big pain in the butt when it comes to sell it. I'd steer clear if you are wanting to trade up in just two years.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Unfortunately it is not a salvage/clean title issue, it is a Significant Frame Damage Issue. The car is at Dedham Automall on autotrader the carfax is -5850 from a bluebook of 52999 so thats is where i woudl probably end up on price. (25 miles from 02062). This is the link to the carfax. CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2010 JAGUAR XKR

Let me know what eveyone thinks. I wil only hold onto it for 2 years then it wil be going back to Jag for a used F-type S with active exhaust...

Side note, anybody know if scheduled maint is covered on a 10, My 11 was a unique year and it even covered brake pads..
The $-5,850 means nothing on a carfax report. The value of the car can only be intelligently established by carefully inspecting the car. The car has obviously been in an accident. I would take the structural damage item on the report seriously. If the car had substantial frame damage walk away. However, just because the report indicates structural damage doesn't mean substantial. It could just mean a bracket was bent. Without being able to substantiate the extend of the damage with pictures and or letters you are taking a big chance and the future resale value is effected and the resale market has decreased. This means you will have difficulty selling the car. If you plan on only keeping the car for 2 years walk away. Knowing the car may have had substantial damage (or may not have) is unclear. Without complete records (repair receipts, pictures, owners name, repair shop name, etc) you are taking a chance. Consequently, I would walk away. If the dealer is offering the car at $54,000 ask them how they valued the car with clear documentation. They just want your money and any problems--you will own. The onus is on the dealer to verify the value of the car and clearly satisfy any concern you may have. Has the dealer called Jaguar to ascertain the warranty is still good? If not, why? I'll tell you why. If Jaguar sees the structural damage item on the report they will ask questions and may void the warranty. Jaguar may already have voided the warranty. Without being able to completely and clearly document the "structural damage" I would run away from this one. A reputable dealer would have all of this documentation available. Why would a dealer purchase a car without having complete and clear documentation of the damage? Maybe they got the car extremely cheap and are trying to maximize their profit. That's what dealers do. Don't be naïve.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm still onboard with the majority... I know personally how the looks of a Jag can grip your heart, but you need to walk away from this one.

I'm in a used '07, looking forward to upgrading to a used 2010 or 2011 in two years, and you can bet top dollar i wont spend one minute considering a car with frame damage. Point is, the damage may have been fixed right, but the fact it was there at all instantly alienates 75% of your prospective buyers.
Try trading it in in a few years, and you can bet any salesman worth his pay will have you understanding that trade-in value is half what you hoped for. Not to mention how rapidly these cars deprecate. (The only reason I get to own one of these glorious machines!)

Walk away... Find another Cat with a clean pedigree, and you'll sleep better at night.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I am not endorsing them or know little about them, but this place gets a lot of Jag's and is an easy shipment to New England.

Pre Owned Jaguar XK XKR Coupe | Jaguars For Sale

Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM

Herb (Local Dealer) has a 10 XK very clean that I looked at and am leaning twords. They would certify it if I wanted but wil cost me some in trade. That number has yet to be determined. It has 27K miles on it and is ~50K. They are doing well on my trade at 39.5K . As far as the XKR with a bad carfax, I would probaly look at it when they get down to the 44K range, They are not a Jag dealer so have lots of room to wiggle I assume.. there is about a 2.5 - 3.5 diff on trade-in from non jag dealers. I really don't have the time or desire to try and get one from afar so I am limited on what is available locally. Ran out of time today to look at the S5 I have my eye on, this is exhausting. It was way easier getting the XF, 2 pictures from my wife from the dealer and next thing you know sold a kidney...

Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Herb (Local Dealer) has a 10 XK very clean that I looked at and am leaning twords. They would certify it if I wanted but wil cost me some in trade. That number has yet to be determined. It has 27K miles on it and is ~50K. They are doing well on my trade at 39.5K . As far as the XKR with a bad carfax, I would probaly look at it when they get down to the 44K range, They are not a Jag dealer so have lots of room to wiggle I assume.. there is about a 2.5 - 3.5 diff on trade-in from non jag dealers. I really don't have the time or desire to try and get one from afar so I am limited on what is available locally. Ran out of time today to look at the S5 I have my eye on, this is exhausting. It was way easier getting the XF, 2 pictures from my wife from the dealer and next thing you know sold a kidney...
This XK sounds like a much better deal than the XKR with a report. Never know where that drug dealer was when he hit whatever he hit. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM

In the end I chose a 2013 Audi S5 Cab...

It is in the photo album, I couldnt justify teh overall cost after dep and years t get to where I wanted in payment. I ended up taking a bath on the XFSC but knew that in Dec so not a new point to me. It all came down to money in the end. Jaguar woudl not let me roll more than a certain amount into my lease. Loks like a off lease F-Type -S is 30 months away. The RV was around 58% for a S model with a sticker around 91. Time will tell, They had an RS4 cab but dont really want to drive a stick and RS only comes manual.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

S5 is beautifully styled car. Congrats.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah, if the dealership is OK with the car and will honor the remainder of the warranty, I don't see it as a close contest. Over time, I suspect that you'd come to appreciate the upgrades to the XKR over the XK. You get stunning increase in performance with no hit to comfort or dive-ability...

If the other car were SL55 or something you might have need to do some serious thinking, but the 2010 XKR is pretty much the same car as the 2013. They are faster than you'd imagine, supremely comfortable in all settings (from highway cruising to twisty country roads to even grinding traffic, and dead bang reliable (in my experience owning two). Stands WAY out in a crowd, and it utterly crushes the Merc in all performance aspects, without even having to look up the numbers.

That SL is long in the tooth design wise. They've moved on to a new model, leaving the 'old' SL's (while beautiful and classy AND with the hard top convertible plus) are yesterday's news. It is a car whose look lasted a LONG time, surely a classy car, but awfully common and (at least IMO the 550) is a touch uninspiring. The Jag, on the other hand, is anything BUT uninspiring.

Even though the current XK body is a bit dated, it IS current, and 2010 saw a MAJOR upgrade to just about everything.

Barring a salvage title or visibly poorly repaired body work, I'd ****** the Jag in an instant. Can you post a link to the carfax? Maybe that'd change some of our opinions... If the body work was done under the authority of the Jag dealership, it was done right and by a body shop certified to work on the aluminum XKR. If you are at all interested, you could find out the extent of things pretty easily.

On the other hand, if the performance doesn't inspire you and the car doesn't put you in the irrational frame of mind that it should, pass on it and buy something low-key until you are ready to buy your F-Type. I wouldn't buy a 2010 XKR with low miles with the intention of trading it in two years from now. Not going to be a good deal. No, I'd get the XKR as a 4-5 year keeper, drive the HELL out of it and don't fret the carfax. 5 years from now, if the car looks and drives like it should, I don't think it'll be a huge point of depreciation.

My advice anyway

Skeeter

Old 05-23-2013, 05:27 AM

Skeeter, few posts back is the link to the carfax.I get bored with a car after a few years and always looking for something fresh. I chose the S5 because I wanted a DD and hate putting a car away for 4 months a year... I also couldnt live without soem of the niceties that I currently had. HD radio is a must and a Nav that wasnt chisled out of stone would be nice as well, but I bought the LR and Jag as well knowing fullwell the lameness of the Jag/LR navs...

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

In the end I chose a 2013 Audi S5 Cab...

It is in the photo album, I couldnt justify teh overall cost after dep and years t get to where I wanted in payment. I ended up taking a bath on the XFSC but knew that in Dec so not a new point to me. It all came down to money in the end. Jaguar woudl not let me roll more than a certain amount into my lease. Loks like a off lease F-Type -S is 30 months away. The RV was around 58% for a S model with a sticker around 91. Time will tell, They had an RS4 cab but dont really want to drive a stick and RS only comes manual.

Checked out your album. Looks real sweet. The S5 is one of my favorites. However, I drove an Audi A7 before and never liked the ride. Check out mods4cars.com, smart top. I installed one on my G37 yesterday. Adds a load of functions to the convertible top. Operate top/windows remotely from key FOB. Also, allows lowering and rising the top while driving. Enjoy.

Last edited by DGL; 05-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Oops, missed the link... Yeah, pass on that. Major damage... Not good.

LOVE the S5. Elegant, less ubiquitous most, and I think Audi is a great brand. Almost bought a V10 R8 instead of the XKR, but couldn't justify it. Love their interiors and who could complain about the AWD?

Enjoy it!

Skeeter