XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Upgrade for touch screen ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021 | 04:21 AM
|
Default Upgrade for touch screen ?

Hi all,

The touch screens on our cars are one of the most common problems - whether that being just temperamental or simply not coming on. I'm not a regular user of the Satnav but the lack of screen means I lose access to the heater/air con controls (plus other less used functions). I came across a site earlier today relating to a product called 'Jagdroid' which is a UK based company supplying upgraded screens with improved functionality and extra options such as rear camera, better Satnav etc. Unfortunately they don't list X150's but do supply the units for X Type, S Type and X350/X358. As the technology is the same (I think) I'm wondering if this could be the solution to all our problems. The cost seems to be around £600 - £700 - certainly cheaper than a replacement genuine unit (Jaguar quoted £1,500 !!)

Old 05-13-2021 | 04:39 AM

Have you heard of the 12.1“ Tesla style unit? :-)

Old 05-13-2021 | 04:45 AM
|

Hi Peterv8,

Yes, but I think it looks awful - I would only consider something that looks attractive and fits in the original space. I daresay as time goes on there will be more options for upgrades from different manufacturers (might just have to wait - technology moves on so fast these days). Kind regards Keith

The following users liked this post:
guy (05-14-2021)
Old 05-13-2021 | 05:49 AM

Keith,

Looks like a great upgrade to the OEM touchscreen, if it works in the XK. I agree with you that the Tesla-type screen takes away from the overall look of the interior.

Suggest you email JagDroid and ask what challenges fitting the unit in an XK might present. If it's workable, I would consider getting one.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2021 | 05:59 AM
|

Hello Bill,

I've sent them an email. I did watch a short video that the company posted on their website and (certainly with the X Type they were showing) it appears that the AC controls are on the screen but it reverts back to the Jaguar screen view - unlike the Tesla screen which is all on their high-tec screen. Their write-up does say that they modify the screen to a higher resolution LCD one so that may resolve the issues a lot of us seem to get. I'll let you know what the company say when they come back to me.

The following 3 users liked this post by CaptainQ:
Bill Mack (05-13-2021), johnymac60 (05-13-2021), tberg (05-18-2021)
Old 05-14-2021 | 03:59 AM
|

Good Morning All,

Just heard back from Ben at Jagdroids. Unfortunately his upgrade cannot be applied to the X150's as it uses a different system to the X, S and X350. I know that there lots of suggestions on this forum as to how to resolve the screen problem - guess I'll just have to work through them one by one. Eventually I'm sure someone will bring out a unit that will bolt straight in - the technology is obviously out there, it's just a case of reducing the size. My screen comes on when I open the car for about five seconds, it then goes off for a couple of seconds, then back on for five seconds and then off permanently. Some months ago I found that it came on permanently if it was dark outside so I adjusted the 'manual' brightness to below 50% and that seems to fix the problem (for a while). I've now fitted a new AGM battery as it was suggested that slight voltage variations can cause problems - unfortunately that hasn't resolved the issue. Looking at the wiring diagram I'm now wondering whether the light sensor on the dash is the culprit - it's used for auto headlamp and, presumably the dimming mirrors, so it may also serve the touch-screen (not clear on diagrams). Any electronics wizards out there like to comment ??

Bill Mack (05-15-2021)
Old 05-14-2021 | 06:25 AM
guy
Veteran Member

I submit the argument that there is no temperamental operation. Short of a electronics fault, it is simply a case of rightful voltage and success with power on self tests. That is to say,
1. A properly charged battery. no need to expand on this.
2. All modules and relays operationally consistent. I am in the habit now of shutting all options down prior to shutoff. Likewise, not connecting any bluetooth device until after the successful startup of engine and screen.
3. All connections including GND solid. This one surprised me.

I have personally experienced a fault of each of the 3. Once corrected, there is no issue.

But you do raise another useful point. Availability of the options. For this reason I do prefer switches to ‘pages upon pages’ of video screens... I drive with my eyes on the road and surroundings... the number of people I see everyday not paying attention because they are fiddling with some electronic gizmo... The manual switch approach is intuitive and efficient. And thats just not an option here.

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
Hi all,

The touch screens on our cars are one of the most common problems - whether that being just temperamental or simply not coming on. I'm not a regular user of the Satnav but the lack of screen means I lose access to the heater/air con controls (plus other less used functions). I came across a site earlier today relating to a product called 'Jagdroid' which is a UK based company supplying upgraded screens with improved functionality and extra options such as rear camera, better Satnav etc. Unfortunately they don't list X150's but do supply the units for X Type, S Type and X350/X358. As the technology is the same (I think) I'm wondering if this could be the solution to all our problems. The cost seems to be around £600 - £700 - certainly cheaper than a replacement genuine unit (Jaguar quoted £1,500 !!)

Last edited by guy; 05-14-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Bill Mack (05-15-2021)