XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Used car market

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Used car market

Bargains to be had shortly as market will crash Global, downside yours will be worth less

Old 05-01-2020, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Rarely sell so no matter. I am looking forward to the next one though which will be at a much reduced price. 510 H.P. here I come.

The following 5 users liked this post by 1 of 19:
Cee Jay (05-01-2020), guy (05-01-2020), Sean W (05-02-2020), SinF (05-04-2020), steve_k_xk (05-02-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Exactly.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

way ahead of you! i stare lovingly at the search results on https://bringatrailer.com/jaguar/ every weekend. wish i could afford to add that white XJS convertible to the fleet.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

One good thing though. The market seems to indicate that my 2010 is still sellable for $25,000 or maybe a bit more. I got it six years ago for just over $30k, so I've experienced very little depreciation on my particular vehicle choice....... so far. Who knows what the future holds.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Here ya go. If you can get it out of Canada. If it was built here in the US, should be easy but I once tried getting a series 3 from across the border and it was nuts because of the emissions standard differences for a Canadian built car.
I dunno how they line up anymore or if it's even an issue. But back then, US customs told me if the car was built for Canada, the cost to modify to meet US standards wasn't cheap and different States had different rules. When I talked to the powers that be here in MN, I couldn't justify it. I do not recall the specifics. It was a long time ago but the car was mint and already priced at the high end so that plus shipping.....

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...115300101.html

Old 05-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Here ya go. If you can get it out of Canada. If it was built here in the US, should be easy but I once tried getting a series 3 from across the border and it was nuts because of the emissions standard differences for a Canadian built car.
I dunno how they line up anymore or if it's even an issue. But back then, US customs told me if the car was built for Canada, the cost to modify to meet US standards wasn't cheap and different States had different rules. When I talked to the powers that be here in MN, I couldn't justify it. I do not recall the specifics. It was a long time ago but the car was mint and already priced at the high end so that plus shipping.....

Reminds me of the pre emissions days.......1967 and older....The good old days!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
Sean W (05-02-2020), Tracee (05-02-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 04:23 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 792 Posts

I dunno how they line up anymore or if it's even an issue. But back then, US customs told me if the car was built for Canada, the cost to modify to meet US standards wasn't cheap and different States had different rules. When I talked to the powers that be here in MN, I couljdn't justify it. I do not recall the specifics. It was a long time ago but the car was mint and already priced at the high end so that plus shipping.....

i have brought many a car into Canada. All Jags and LR require merely a reprogramming issue easily handled at Jag/LR. In fact, even the warranties were transferred for me.
cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I want to buy a 2nd car and plan to wait towards the end of this year or next year. Too much up in the air right now and sports car market seems more flooded with cars every time a I look.

80sRule (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
i have brought many a car into Canada. All Jags and LR require merely a reprogramming issue easily handled at Jag/LR. In fact, even the warranties were transferred for me.
cheers!
I was referring to getting it out of Canada and into the US, but guessing the emissions standards are maybe not so different anymore? California would be problematic I would think.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I want to buy a 2nd car and plan to wait towards the end of this year or next year. Too much up in the air right now and sports car market seems more flooded with cars every time a I look.
Exactly. I've been watching for an early DB9 (preferably Volante, good on most colors, prefer manual but will do the auto; so very flexible) , and there are plenty of solid choices around 35k, and occasionally nice ones with ok miles for 30k. It's getting bad and I'm hoping to add one this year or next. With everything up in the air, it's a holding pattern unless a real steal of a deal comes up.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Did you check the VIN? Perhaps it was a US car to begin with. Other than a CCF edit for the headlights, I believe the emissions are identical other than a US EPA cert which is obtainable, if needed.

Sean W (05-04-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 03:00 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
@mosesbotbol A second car?? Don't I see 2 Astons, 2 Jags, a Lotus and a LR in your signature? I do yearn for that carriage house where I have one for each day of the week... depending on weather.

Cheers!

Old 05-03-2020, 03:13 PM
guy
Veteran Member

I was referring to getting it out of Canada and into the US, but guessing the emissions standards are maybe not so different anymore? California would be problematic I would think.
its just a reprogramming... I've done this with 4 cars to date.
As long as the car hasn't been meddled with. Like changing out the Cats.
1. My approach (that works flawlessly, btw) Contact Jag (local country) HQ and tell them what you want to do... and steer them a bit.
2. Inform them that the car will leave named Jag shop on one side of the border and be delivered to the Jag shop on the other side of the border.
3. I let the shops worry about transport. (You might save $250 if you do it, and spend 16 hours dealing with borders, transport companies, etc)
4. Let the Jag shop handle the safety's, licensing, and anything else they throw at you. And if they insist in charging $1 for the warranty transfer... let it go.
5. Drop off a case of beer for everyone when you pick it up.
Can't imagine a software managed car any different... again, unless its been meddled with.

Cheers!

Last edited by guy; 05-03-2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typo
Sean W (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 04:16 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Just a heads up on getting a car from Can to US. The wife and I just moved from Can (Winnipeg actually where that lovely XKR linked above is for sale, might buy it if I was still there!) to the US in 2018 and brought both our Jags with us (03 STR and 05 SV8). There is absolutely NO issue with bringing these cars over the border. I had to get a recall clearance letter from Jag Canada. I called them up, gave them the VIN's and within 12 hours had both letters in my email (they were on official letterhead and perfectly acceptable to customs). When I officially imported the cars after settling in down here, I just had to show US customs the clearance letter, and two filled out forms (something to do with emissions and something else). Basically, Jags are built for the North America market, meaning all cars meet all standards for both the US and Canada (including California). Both our cars have a sticker in the engine bay saying meets all emission standards in all 50 states (or something to that effect). The process was super easy. As all Jags I have seen that still have the classic speedometer, like XK's still seem to have all the way up to 2015, (not the digital ones) have both mph and kph on them, and all cars for Canada have DRL's active, but so do most cars down here it seems too and from what I understand (feel free to correct me on this!) lots of Jags in the US have their DRL's on from the factory (at least that's what a dealer told me). Since that XKR is of the same vintage as our cars, it would cross the border and need NOTHING done to it to register it anywhere in the US (as long as it's stock, but other than CA, the inspector would have to actually notice something like the cats aren't stock). For our cars, they barely even looked at them when importing them. Basically they made sure the car I said I was importing was the same one I was actually importing. In fact, I am considering telling my parents (who still live in Winnipeg) to have a look at it. My dad may be interested, or maybe tell him to get it, then I'll get it down here for me when I've got some time!

The following 2 users liked this post by WinterJag:
ralphwg (05-03-2020), Sean W (05-03-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

That 2008 XKR Portfolio convertible looks great, but I'm not so sure about those brake rotters. Obviously, brakes wear but I ve never known Alcons to rot. Maybe it's the frigid Canadian winters. Or a typig misteak.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I highly doubt depreciated, enthusiast cars will take much of a hit at all. The bang for the buck dollar in some ways becomes even more appealing in difficult times.

I would not want to be looking at selling a 2017-2019 luxury car right now though.

Cee Jay (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
cheers!
Have you done this recently? Couple years back the process for US border to sign-off on cars got really complicated. I had to register as shipper to import cars into Canada. Absolutely, stupidly ridiculous.

I imagine reverse process is as painful, as US has 25 year thing...

Old 05-05-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
@mosesbotbol A second car?? Don't I see 2 Astons, 2 Jags, a Lotus and a LR in your signature? I do yearn for that carriage house where I have one for each day of the week... depending on weather.

Cheers!
Only one is current LOL; the Rapide. I just keep the British cars listed since this is a Jaguar forum. My garage can hold 4 cars if I put a lift in it.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

JLR have announced that some of its workforce are back from today after measurements have been put in placed to safe guard the work force. Don't know why ? Already have a glut of cars that no one wants 1,000s sit in car parks. Over here in the uk the market has crashed to an all time low for new cars

Quick Reply: Used car market