XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Using Plastidip on wheels and trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I'd wonder how clear it actually is. Worth $6 for a can to try it out. The black has a slight ripple texture, it's not perfectly flat or glossy, so the clear might be a bit disappointing in that respect. But for road-rash prone areas or door edges it might be ok.

On another note, here is my black coupé with black plastidip wheels and trim:
Looks great Dawg!!

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (10-29-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry
Ive been kicking around the idea of using the clear as kind of a clear bra. Seems like it would stop little chips and road rash and could be replaced anytime. I am assuming it remains somewhat soft and would absorb the impact of debris. Thought I'd try it on my Jeep first. It might even be easy enough to do just for a road trip and then remove.

Thoughts??
Look into this product from 3M. Not as cheap as plastidip, but designed to the exact task your looking for. Lots of reviews on youtube.

@amcdonal86: Plastidip has been around and used for some time now in the ricer world. It is actually quite durable considering its cost and simple application...

jchou (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's a guy that used clear coat plastidip in combination with the glossifier on his lights.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

In some pics, glossifier over flat black looks like charcoal while silver metalizer over flat black looks like gunmetal.

I just put on the 1st coat of glossifier. Hope it stays gloss black instead of charcoal.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had my rims plasti dipped for a few months. Aside from the HUGE improvement to perceived brake dust on the rims, I found an immense advantage in fixing curb rash...

I dinged my passenger side rear wheel recently, a decent scuff, and rather than having the wheel removed and repaired I just put another layer of plasti dip over it as a temporary fix. I have to look VERY hard to find the scuff now, the plasti dip seems to stick to the old layer find and really hides the scuff. I get fixated over little imperfections, so I was certain I'd have to have the rim professionally repaired, but it all but vanishes. I'll wait till I scuff it up again before having it repaired since the damage is only cosmetic and is honestly only detectable by feel.

Great product.

Skeeter

Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I heard P-dipped wheels are hard to clean and eventually begin to brown from the dirt sticking to the rubber-like texture of plastidip. Is this true?

Btw, here are some nice tips for dipping wheels with rivets... scroll down to bottom.

tips on spraying plasti dip can on face of 3 piece wheel [Archive] - DipYourCar.com Plasti Dip Community Forum

Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 PM

No browning for me after four or so months and some pretty heavy driving... I'll keep an eye out but haven't heard this. I'd think the clear coat would keep the color from changing, but who knows.

Gotta say it surprised me how good they look, especially with the red calipers. Best of all, if you don't like or if they discolor or whatever, it can be removed easily and completely.

Still considering doing the headlights... The video shows a guy putting several layers of clear pasti dip followed by four layers of glossifier. Finished product looked nice, impossible to tell there was anything on the lights. I guess I haven't given much thought to headlight damage/discoloration, or how much it'd cost to swap out a scuffed and pitted set out with new pieces from Jaguar as an alternative.

Skeeter

Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks Skeeter. What about the holes for the lugnuts starting the peel from the lugs and socket going in?

Would you have no problem doing your 3 piece custom wheels? I ask because I have no issue doing my Nevis but tend to shudder at doing my Cor wheels...

Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Hmmm...wouldn't want to give bad advice, this is not something I had to deal with... I removed the wheels before having them sprayed with the plasti dip, and they've been taken off once since with no damage.

As far as 3-piece wheels though I wouldn't know. I'm sure the folks at dipyourwheels have encountered this question before, maybe shoot them an email?

Let us know,

Skeeter

Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 PM

There is a dude locally that I met at Cars and Coffee that dos a bunch of stuff including wraps etc and is an authorized Plastidip dealer. Yes, they now have dealers and folks supposedly certified to do work. I could do it myself but given the cost of my wheels, the time I would spend etc the $200 quoted seems fair as it also includes like $40 in cans plus all the other tools he would us to do a quality job plus his labor.

May go this route, we'll see.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Definitely! I had a body shop do the job with me and they charged me close to that. They did remove the wheels and dip all the rim, even the inside...

Skeeter

Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM

So I finally installed the plastidip winter wheels on my Rover as we're suppose to get some wintery mix next week. For alittle more than $40 (4 cans of flat black and 2 cans of glossifier), you can't go wrong. Thanks to this post, I went ahead and plasti-dip my wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-b2a_zps422f7939.jpg   Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-b1a_zps98cf70d3.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, looks awesome!!! Black on black always works! I've been driving in some pretty nasty conditions over the last days, no sign of the plastidip failing yet.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 PM

Very nice Ghost. Did you remove the wheels or just do the plastic bag thing? I would have to use the wire twisty cover thingys to cover my rivets so I may need to remove my wheels.

Since I'm 3 piece I may just pay the shop.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 PM

Good to hear Marko! Hope it will last me through the winter.

Evoking....I did dip these wheels when they were off the car. These are my OEM wheels in which I use for winter so they were off at the time when I plasti-dip them.

After plasti-dip these wheels I'm planning to probably powder coat my Rover's summer wheels in gloss black and also possibly my XKR wheels. Plasti-dip is great but I prefer the gloss black look and after 3 cans of glossifier on the flat black plasti-dip, it turned out more satin black then gloss black. I can't complain though as just under $50 (4 can of flat black and 3 cans of glossifier), they turn out better than I expected and the best part is that you can peel them off if you don't like the look anymore. We'll see how durable it is going through a harsh winter.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Update: Almost one year on and I got my first tearing of the plastidip on my wheels. Should be easy to touch up since I'll just have to spray the areas that tore loose. The surface underneath looks as good as the day I put the stuff on. While I'm touching it up I think I'll add the glossifier this time.

It only tore because I put some tire-shine petroleum-based stuff to make it look wet, which I've done before, but this time I rubbed it with a cloth. Just like the bug-and-tar remover it started to come right off. Oh well, easy fix.

The important thing to note is that road and weather wear did NOT damage the plastidip at all over the past year. Only me.

CleverName (07-18-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Touching up my rims tonight. I plan on using glossifier to see if I can hold onto a bit of shine.

Attached Thumbnails Using Plastidip on wheels and trim-image-1410427110.jpg