Using wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts
Default Using wheel spacers

Hello fellow members:

Subject: Using Wheel Spacers..........

I ordered some wheels made by TSW, Coventry brand made for Jaguars.
Today the wheels came in at the Tire & Wheel distributor.

The wheels look awesome (Coventry Whitley Hyper Silver w/ Chrome Lip).

The problem is the offset. The rear wheel rubbed the Alcon brake calibers slighty, and cannot be fitted properly. Coventry only makes 2 offsets for a 20" x 10" wheel. 25mm and 45mm. These were the 25mm offset.

The only way I see to have these wheels fit and avoid rubbing the Alcon brake caliper is using or consider using a 1/4 - 5/16th Billet Aluminum Hubcentric wheel spacer. My bolt pattern is 5 x 4.25" or 108mm. Centerbore 63.4MM

What's your opinion about using wheel spacers? Should I go this route?
I love the wheels, but I am concerned about overall safety of using a wheel spacer.

Wheels for my 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition are hard to find due to the oversize brake calipers made by Alcon.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. I am sure there are some Jag owners who may have taken this route.

Advise. I am open to all suggestions, negative or positive.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I've been running wheel spacers on my wife's VW Passat for about 2 years now maybe, this from when I retrofitted my old wheels off my A6.

Probably covered around 20k miles I guess, with zero issues.

Firstly as you have rightly said, make sure they are HUBCENTRIC!!

I'm sure you wouldn't even consider using the sub standard cheap n nasty washer type?

Mare sure you don't skimp and DO purchase a set of longer wheel bolts

Do this and I'm sure you will be absolutely fine.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I run them on the back and they are just fine.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,354 Likes on 3,482 Posts

Richard,

Sorry to hear that they didn't fit right out of the box.

Have you tried using the 7mm (9/32") hubcentric spacer that Lenny Jr. at Motorsport Technology made for your new spare wheel? See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-brakes-67260/ If that works, you would only need to get another one.

My biggest concern is having enough thread left on the OEM wheel studs after you insert the spacer for the lug nuts to safely secure the wheel.

I don't have a problem with marginal thread safety if you're only using the spare for a very short-time. But when it comes to full-time use of wheels with spacers, I'd want to be sure that they're safe.

You spoke with a Coventry Wheels authorized retailer (Discount Tire) and asked if the Whitely would fit on your 2009 XKR Portfolio with Alcon brakes. Since that merchant represented to you that they would fit with no problems, I would tell them that you want to return the wheels to them at their expense unless they agree to reimburse you for the cost of spacers, lug bolts (if necessary), and labor in order to make the 2 rear wheels fit.

If you paid for the wheels with a credit card, you can dispute the charge in writing and request a "charge back" refund from your credit card company. See: How to dispute a credit card bill with a merchant I'm sure you're familiar with the process.

You relied on their representation to purchase the wheels from them. You should not be responsible for incurring additional costs in order to make them fit.

Just my

Stuart

Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Richard,

Sorry to hear that they didn't fit right out of the box.

Have you tried using the 7mm (9/32") hubcentric spacer that Lenny Jr. at Motorsport Technology made for your new spare wheel? See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-brakes-67260/ If that works, you would only need to get another one.

My biggest concern is having enough thread left on the OEM wheel studs after you insert the spacer for the lug nuts to safely secure the wheel.

I don't have a problem with marginal thread safety if you're only using the spare for a very short-time. But when it comes to full-time use of wheels with spacers, I'd want to be sure that they're safe.

You spoke with a Coventry Wheels authorized retailer (Discount Tire) and asked if the Whitely would fit on your 2009 XKR Portfolio with Alcon brakes. Since that merchant represented to you that they would fit with no problems, I would tell them that you want to return the wheels to them at their expense unless they agree to reimburse you for the cost of spacers, lug bolts (if necessary), and labor in order to make the 2 rear wheels fit.

If you paid for the wheels with a credit card, you can dispute the charge in writing and request a "charge back" refund from your credit card company. See: How to dispute a credit card bill with a merchant I'm sure you're familiar with the process.

You relied on their representation to purchase the wheels from them. You should not be responsible for incurring additional costs in order to make them fit.

Just my

Stuart
Stuart:

I agree on the safety aspect and my thoughts were EXACTLY the same as yours. I feel comfortable using the 7mm hubcentric spacer from Motorsport Tech (Lenny Jr.) for the spare tire which is limited use and time on the wheel, but have my doubts using the spacer full time. I don't want to have to pull the brakes and have extended wheels studs put in either, just for the sake of new wheels. I won't make the new wheels an impulse item.

I did not pay for the wheels. Discount Tire was very good about that. They shipped them in and acknowledge the responsibility of the order. They will call TSW Wheels (who was closed today, Friday) on Monday who makes the Coventry wheels and see what they say about fitment. The front wheels fit which were 20 x 8.5, with an offset of 42. For now the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 tires were mounted on the OEM Jaguar Selena wheels. The TPMS's were rebuilt. Original lug nuts put back on the Selena wheel.

The problem was the rear with the Coventry 20 x 10. Our OEM Selena wheel is a 20 x 9.5 with ET (offset) of 26mm. The TSW was a 20 x 10 with an ET of 25mm. It rubbed slightly against the Alcon brake caliper.

It is very difficult to find aftermarket wheels for our 2009 Portfolio Edition especially with the option Alcon braking system.

If I can't get the Coventry Whitley wheels to fit properly, I will bypass the idea and keep the OEM Selena wheels on the car.

I will say however the Coventry Whitley wheel in the Hyper Silver w/ Chrome is one awesome looking wheels. I mean awesome.

So I will see what Discount Tire comes back to me on Monday with their response. Honestly, I am not hopeful as Coventry does not have a 20 x 9.5 wheel only the 20 x 10 for the rear. I am not sure if changing the offset from 25 to 45 will work.

The Hankook Ventus V12 tires on the other hand, provide a nice ride. I am pleased with the purchase, but really wish the rear wheels would have fit.

On the bright side I got 50% of what I was hoping for. Throw in the front Coventry Whitley wheels and was 75% there.