XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Vandals! Damage to window trim.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:10 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Vandals! Damage to window trim.

Happy New Year. Mine has not started well.

Someone tried to break into my '07 XK coupe at a park during daylight hours. The trim around the window was damaged, most likely because they were using an object to force the small (rear) driver's side window open. Obviously an amateur job, and clearly they gave up quickly or just got spooked off by people in the park.

Thankfully, the window and the paintwork are completely fine. The only damage was to the trim. The seal around the window (which may be part of the trim piece) is also misshapen but possibly not so bad as to need repair. See attached pictures. I share this to commiserate and to seek your thoughts and advice.

Here are my questions:
1) Any likelihood of simple dent removal? (I'm doubtful because this is not a painted finish and the metal is so thin but would welcome other opinions)
2) For those who have replaced this part or removed the rear window or trim (Reverend Sam, possibly?), how difficult would installing a new piece be? Is this something I could do myself?
3) I believe this is the right part number: C2P16885. It looks like XKR's had a "satin" instead of "chrome" finish for this part. Can anyone confirm this?
4) I've found the part here: https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...lding-c2p16885 It looks like it this would be the metal piece that I would need. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for your help. My car was in concours-condition before this and I'm eager to get it back.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Sorry to see this. In my experience, the trim piece can not be repaired to perfect. The dent will never be invisible. You will need to replace it.

Vandalism is covered under comprehensive insurance and won't raise your rate. It may be cost effective to make a claim if your deductible is low enough.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Wonder why they didn't just tape the glass and smash it. Last time my car was vandalized, the windshield was damaged, I'm guessing a hammer or rock, though the hood was unharmed. Insurance carrier didn't investigate but my rates went up. Hope yours don't if you go that route.

I looked into this awhile back. There's a thread (I think it's the what did you do to your XK today) where a gent in the UK? had his removed and painted. I sent him a PM asking if he would give me the contact info of the body shop. For whatever reason, he didn't. Anyway, the reason I asked is that I understand from others that the retaining clips break while removing the trim and you can't get them from Jaguar.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-03-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:04 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by winstonsalemncxk
It looks like XKR's had a "satin" instead of "chrome" finish for this part. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes, that is correct. My 2008 XKR has the satin trim finish.

Commiserations too - there is always some b*****d out to spoil things for others.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Are you certain it was vandals. Just does not make a lot of sense.
I am having a hard time understanding how they got any leverage in that spot to make any dents.

mosesbotbol (01-06-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Wonder why they didn't just tape the glass and smash it. Last time my car was vandalized, the windshield was damaged, I'm guessing a hammer or rock, though the hood was unharmed. Insurance carrier didn't investigate but my rates went up. Hope yours don't if you go that route.

I looked into this awhile back. There's a thread (I think it's the what did you do to your XK today) where a gent in the UK? had his removed and painted. I sent him a PM asking if he would give me the contact info of the body shop. For whatever reason, he didn't. Anyway, the reason I asked is that I understand from others that the retaining clips break while removing the trim and you can't get them from Jaguar.
They usually put a small fragment of spark plug ceramic on the end of a stick, simple tap and the windshield is gone. A guy at Firestone showed me 20 years ago with a junker out back, broke off a small fragment, tossed it at window and pow, it was gone. Quick entry method!

Sean W (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Are you certain it was vandals. Just does not make a lot of sense.
I am having a hard time understanding how they got any leverage in that spot to make any dents.
Queen and Country,

I don't have video, but I know it occurred during a short time frame and my car was parked next to a friend's car on that side. There was no where to walk to by going between the cars, so I believe the damage was intentional. No reason for anyone to between these two cars other than mischief. I think it was either a lousy, amateurish attempt to get in the car or just someone's desire to cause damage. I tend to think the former since when people intentionally vandalize something they usually cause more damage. Any other suggestions are welcome, but that's my best reconstruction of the damage to date.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:45 AM

Thanks, barnsie, for confirming the trim difference. If you have a moment to snap a quick close-up photo of the satin trim, that would be helpful for me to see the difference and make sure I know exactly what not to buy since I need the chrome finish.

Thanks again!

Peter

Old 01-03-2020, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Queen and Country,

I don't have video, but I know it occurred during a short time frame and my car was parked next to a friend's car on that side. There was no where to walk to by going between the cars, so I believe the damage was intentional. No reason for anyone to between these two cars other than mischief. I think it was either a lousy, amateurish attempt to get in the car or just someone's desire to cause damage. I tend to think the former since when people intentionally vandalize something they usually cause more damage. Any other suggestions are welcome, but that's my best reconstruction of the damage to date.
My motivation for mentioning it is that you might be looking in the wrong direction.
Carefully look for any other damage, there also seems to be scuffing on same spot.
The more I look at it, the less likely it appears to be a break in attempt.
Look for something that may have fallen on it, of something from the car next to it protruding. Use a high powered flashlight.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with Q&C. With no visible damage to the inner seal, this looks more accidental.

Hypothetically speaking I could see someone with, say a child in a child seat or heavy object (grill with feet?) in hand thinking they could rest on the trim (rather than the paint) to reposition their grip.

Sad to see regardless, and I wish you the best in getting your sweetheart back to pristine!

Old 01-03-2020, 12:57 PM

CleverName,

I concede that you and Queen and Country may be right. Whatever it was was not light, for sure and came down with some force. There is an area where you can feel the backing beneath the rubber seal was also pushed down.

I'll likely pay for this out of pocket since my deductible is close to the part cost, then I'll eat the labor since there are varying opinions on insurance costs going up and I just last month had a claim with a tree branch falling on one of my other vehicles.

I look forward to getting the Jag back in top shape and will post photos when the work is finished.

Cheers,

Peter

mosesbotbol (01-06-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

What bothers me is; look at the angle of incident, its the opposite of what it should be if you were prying the glass.
Now follow that angle of incident and see if there are any chips/ crushed paint on the rear haunches.
If there are your insurance claim just got easier. Look for the same on the roof. As a wild example, someone could have leaned a 2x4 against your car than fell on to the trim.

Yeah we need tougher laws against children and their undisciplined parents.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

CleverName,

I concede that you and Queen and Country may be right. Whatever it was was not light, for sure and came down with some force. There is an area where you can feel the backing beneath the rubber seal was also pushed down.

I'll likely pay for this out of pocket since my deductible is close to the part cost, then I'll eat the labor since there are varying opinions on insurance costs going up and I just last month had a claim with a tree branch falling on one of my other vehicles.

I look forward to getting the Jag back in top shape and will post photos when the work is finished.

Cheers,

Peter
Personally, I would never even consider contacting an insurance company unless you had substantial damage on anything. Why take even the slightest chance of them raising your rates? They are in business to make money regardless of comprehensive or not. I wouldn't chance it. I'd buy the trim piece and any clips that might be needed and find a body shop that you know.........and ask very politely to have him install the trim. Whatever it costs it's worth it. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:23 AM

Thanks, barnsie, for confirming the trim difference. If you have a moment to snap a quick close-up photo of the satin trim, that would be helpful for me to see the difference and make sure I know exactly what not to buy since I need the chrome finish.

Thanks again!

Peter
Hi Peter,

I am away for the weekend, but in the meantime if you look at threads I have started you will see one specifically about the window trim, with photos. Otherwise I'll be happy to take a pic for you when I get home on Monday.

All the best,

Barnsie
​​​​​​Try this link to the thread I mentioned.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/2008-xkr-window-weather-strip-installation-223782/

Last edited by barnsie; 01-04-2020 at 09:25 AM.
winstonsalemncxk (01-04-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Vandals would've put a big old scratch or several on your car. Not sure what happened, but I am with @Queen and Country on this one.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:07 PM

Thanks to everyone for your input. Whether the damage was accidental or purposeful, I'm going to have to replace the trim piece. I'll update you with the final result and pictures of the before and after.

Cheers,

Peter

The following 2 users liked this post by winstonsalemncxk:
DGL (01-07-2020), Sean W (01-06-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 05:43 AM

Thanks to everyone for your input. Whether the damage was accidental or purposeful, I'm going to have to replace the trim piece. I'll update you with the final result and pictures of the before and after.

Cheers,

Peter
I agree - regardless of how it happened, it has to be fixed. Be prepared for a fairly expensive item. I was surprised at the price of the piece of trim I replaced on my car (as per the thread mentioned before). Would love to see your update once you have fixed it (and how much the part cost).

Old 01-07-2020, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Can you find a used trim piece?

Old 01-07-2020, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Can you find a used trim piece?
Good idea if he can as the part is quite expensive. I tried to go down that route but couldn't find an 'as new' trim item. The part was easy to fit so I did it myself and saved some cash that way. Not sure if that would be the case with the more complex rear side window trim.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:31 AM

The part (new) is about $575 with shipping. Here's a link to what I believe to be the right part:

https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...lding-c2p16885

Does this look like the right piece? I believe the picture below is what is depicted in the parts diagram.
I have read that sourcing a used part is complicated since there are clips that hold it into place and these tend to break on removal. I don't see clips in the picture so I can't confirm this. Does anyone know if there are clips holding the trim in place? If so, what do they look like? Are they attached to this main piece directly?

Quick Reply: Vandals! Damage to window trim.