XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Vandals! Damage to window trim.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:52 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 791 Posts

I don’t know of this piece precisely but all other trim pieces I sourced from Jaguar required the optional clip package.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:58 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by winstonsalemncxk
The part (new) is about $575 with shipping. Here's a link to what I believe to be the right part:

https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...lding-c2p16885

Does this look like the right piece? I believe the picture below is what is depicted in the parts diagram.
I have read that sourcing a used part is complicated since there are clips that hold it into place and these tend to break on removal. I don't see clips in the picture so I can't confirm this. Does anyone know if there are clips holding the trim in place? If so, what do they look like? Are they attached to this main piece directly?

That is the entire trim strip from the front window/A pillar to the back of the car. On my model there is a join about 15 inches from the right end (on the curve) so I am assuming mine is in two pieces. Is yours a single piece of trim? Check it out because it will be much cheaper if you only need the smaller piece.

On the side window trim the part is held on by friction fit to a small 'ledge' on the door (see my other thread). When I removed it, there were two small metal clips but they had rusted and I threw them away as they seemed to serve no purpose - the trim was a really, really tight fit on the ledge, so there's zero chance it will ever come loose. How does the trim item fit on your car? Is it the same as my window trim? If so, then chances are the clips will be redundant for you too. If not, there are eBay suppliers (in the UK anyway) who sell just about every kind of automotive fastener imaginable.

EDIT: I just looked again at your photo in the original post and it does seem that your trim piece is one huge piece. Wonder why mine is two parts? Maybe it's different on the XK-R or maybe they just changed it during production as sometimes happens if external suppliers are changed during the production run for some reason. This really is such a shame and I feel your pain - bad enough when you have to shell out due to something you did yourself - when it's entirely none of your fault and someone else caused the problem, it's more than twice as bad.

Last edited by barnsie; 01-07-2020 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 01-07-2020, 10:13 AM

I just checked the part number on SNG Barratt in the UK and they have some different images.

As you can see here, it looks as if the clips are essential for the fitment of the part, so I would ask your supplier to include the required number in your order. Seems to be a totally different fitment method to my similar part on the side window.

The following 2 users liked this post by barnsie:
MarkyUK (01-07-2020), winstonsalemncxk (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Could be just the vantage point of the picture. The clips look built into the trim, no?

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Could be just the vantage point of the picture. The clips look built into the trim, no?
mosesbotbol, I think what you are saying is right. It looks like the clips are built in and we just can't see them from the other images/perspectives.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:04 PM

Barnsie,

Thanks for going above and beyond in your help here. It is hard to tell from my picture above, but my part is also in two sections. There is a small seam just above the rear quarter panel glass, probably just like on yours. I've not seen anywhere that that section is available just by itself.

However, and here's the great news: I went to a top-rated auto body shop that I've used before (including just last month when a tree limb fell on another one of my cars). They are going to do the whole job for $300, which includes the part and labor. I was floored. The part has been ordered (they came up with the same part number I did) and once it arrives, they'll put the top trim person on the job. It is looking like in a week or two my car will be back to pristine condition, and for way under the cost of what I was expecting. Further updates and pictures when I have them.

It is (for now at least) seeming like much less of a crisis than I originally anticipated.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Peter

The following 3 users liked this post by winstonsalemncxk:
kj07xk (01-07-2020), mosesbotbol (01-07-2020), ralphwg (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Great outcome. Good for you!

Old 01-07-2020, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Peter, Many who've removed the trim have confirmed the clips break. So no reason to believe yours won't too which in your case, irrelevant.

Could you do us a great favor and ask the body shop how they break or if there's a way to remove the trim without breaking? Maybe some real life pics of where/ how they mount onto the body too? It would be very beneficial for the group as more ethan a few of us would like to remove and refinish ours v.s. buy new. A big ask i know.

Queen and Country (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by winstonsalemncxk
Barnsie,

Thanks for going above and beyond in your help here. It is hard to tell from my picture above, but my part is also in two sections. There is a small seam just above the rear quarter panel glass, probably just like on yours. I've not seen anywhere that that section is available just by itself.

However, and here's the great news: I went to a top-rated auto body shop that I've used before (including just last month when a tree limb fell on another one of my cars). They are going to do the whole job for $300, which includes the part and labor. I was floored. The part has been ordered (they came up with the same part number I did) and once it arrives, they'll put the top trim person on the job. It is looking like in a week or two my car will be back to pristine condition, and for way under the cost of what I was expecting. Further updates and pictures when I have them.

It is (for now at least) seeming like much less of a crisis than I originally anticipated.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Peter
Good news Peter! It will all be nothing but a distant memory soon! And your car will be back to its former glory. I know exactly how you feel because I am the same about my car too.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Peter, Many who've removed the trim have confirmed the clips break. So no reason to believe yours won't too which in your case, irrelevant.

Could you do us a great favor and ask the body shop how they break or if there's a way to remove the trim without breaking? Maybe some real life pics of where/ how they mount onto the body too? It would be very beneficial for the group as more ethan a few of us would like to remove and refinish ours v.s. buy new. A big ask i know.
Great idea Sean! Add me to those who'd like this.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:22 PM

If they will let me watch and take pictures, I certainly will. If not, I'll ask that they document with pictures and offer them a gratuity for the service. I wouldn't mind watching, learning, and supervising!

The following 2 users liked this post by winstonsalemncxk:
barnsie (01-07-2020), Sean W (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I changed mine to gloss black a couple of years ago and if I recall it was screwed in at each tab.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Barnsie is an ideal example of why a 'thank' button as well as a 'like' is needed on this forum

winstonsalemncxk (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Barnsie is an ideal example of why a 'thank' button as well as a 'like' is needed on this forum
Our "Thank" button became the "Like" button a while back. Not sure why mods did that, but I treat it the same.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Our "Thank" button became the "Like" button a while back. Not sure why mods did that, but I treat it the same.
All Internet Brands owned forums changed from Thank to Like.

CleverName (01-08-2020)