XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

VelocityAP AJ34S 4.2 XKR Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

1/4 tank fuel , open diff , 20" senta and I ran 13.9 with a custom Dyno tune then 13.7 with the old Jag tune also .

Both runs had the same 60ft

With Dyno figures with the first tune I was at 200kw at the rear wheels however every Dyno is going to spit out different figures

Old 09-26-2019, 07:22 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Are you OK? You seem a little upset?

I haven't replied to a single message, email or forum post of yours, in at least a year or so, since you threatened and tried to blackmail us (we still have all those messages, btw).
Upset? Why would I be? I have higher Dyno gains and numbers than your tuner achieved (at least on the 4.2sc car, In progress with other engines,) so I'm actually the opposite. I was upset 2 years ago when instead of helping me to tune the car which you told me you would do, you and Nick backed out when I told you that I had a friend with tuning equipment. All I wanted was a tune on my car and work together not be your competitor Cambo so if anyone is upset maybe it's you? When you started giving me excuses why you can't and won't help , I told you I will aquire all that I would need and start selling tunes myself, which I did and I'm happy that I did, I learned a lot more than I ever thought I would and am enjoying the process. So Cambo thanks for not selling me your tune 2 years ago no hard feelings I understand the tuning world now much better and how tuners must protect their work, but sometimes its better to work together .You contributed quite a bit of knowledge to the forums and I respect and apriciate you for that

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-26-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:25 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
1/4 tank fuel , open diff , 20" senta and I ran 13.9 with a custom Dyno tune then 13.7 with the old Jag tune also .

Both runs had the same 60ft

With Dyno figures with the first tune I was at 200kw at the rear wheels however every Dyno is going to spit out different figures
Yes every Dyno has different correction to crank hp and some dynoes can be off, but before and after on the same Dyno is the most accurate measure of gains

Old 09-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexJag
Upset? Why would I be? I have higher Dyno gains and numbers than your tuner achieved so I'm actually the opposite. I was upset 2 years ago when instead of helping me to tune the car which you told me you would do, you and Nick backed out when I told you that I had a friend with tuning equipment. All I wanted was a tune on my car and work together not be your competitor Cambo so if anyone is upset maybe it's you? When you started giving me excuses why you can't and won't help , I told you I will aquire all that I would need and start selling tunes myself, which I did and I'm happy that I did, I learned a lot more than I ever thought I would and am enjoying the process. So Cambo thanks for not selling me your tune 2 years ago no hard feelings I understand the tuning world now much better and how tuners must protect their work, but sometimes its better to work together .You contributed quite a bit of knowledge to the forums and I respect and apriciate you for that
Uh huh...

Nevermind that you contacted everyone you could find who had the tune, and tried to get it from them.

Alex:
Hey guys .
As you probably know , I now have the the damos files for the xkr . Had to dig for it since you did(n’t) want to sell me your tune. At this point I'm still trying to get the best tune for the car and wondering if you want to work with me on this or I have to go at this in a different direction and possibly distribute the info that I have and possible sell it. Let me know your thoughts.

Alex:
Nicolay hello!
How does your cat run?
I bought all the devices, I learned to use wine. Plus I have the weight of a damos file to this car, and almost all the starters. I wanted to ask you if you wanted to cooperate with me to help with setting up my car. Of course I can put on the forums the damos and settings all, and this can complicate your tuning sales. But I'm not interested in selling, just a good setup. Waiting for an answer ...

Nikolai:
With blackmailers I do not talk, post it. Difficult to sell? Yes, and I do not care, 4.2 is only 10 percent of them. And the sense to spread that in what most did not have not enough mind to understand?

Alex:

Nikolai, I'm not blackmailing, I tried to get in touch with you before to help the settings. There is not enough time to figure it all out. Maybe if everything is laid out then there are those that will help you figure it out. This is where my position comes from. All maps, there is. I changed the catalysts to 200 cells, but I was not happy with the loss of power sensation, I exhausted the exhaust back preasure map by -15% a little low. Added torque maps, the power at the bottom appeared, but also from time to time the code, the throttle code actuator engine shutdown, began to fade.

Nikolai:
Such a statement of the question is already called blackmail. As for the rest, I've already said everything.

Alex:
blackmail is so blackmail, I do not earn money on this, I have nothing to lose, but you do

This is just one example of why we refused to have anything to do with you.

Do I need to go on?

Good luck to you, and anyone who gives you money.

BTW what happened to the guy in San Diego who lost a motor, that had your tune in it?

Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cambo
Uh huh...

Nevermind that you contacted everyone you could find who had the tune, and tried to get it from them.

Alex:
Hey guys .
As you probably know , I now have the the damos files for the xkr . Had to dig for it since you did(n’t) want to sell me your tune. At this point I'm still trying to get the best tune for the car and wondering if you want to work with me on this or I have to go at this in a different direction and possibly distribute the info that I have and possible sell it. Let me know your thoughts.

Alex:
Nicolay hello!
How does your cat run?
I bought all the devices, I learned to use wine. Plus I have the weight of a damos file to this car, and almost all the starters. I wanted to ask you if you wanted to cooperate with me to help with setting up my car. Of course I can put on the forums the damos and settings all, and this can complicate your tuning sales. But I'm not interested in selling, just a good setup. Waiting for an answer ...

Nikolai:
With blackmailers I do not talk, post it. Difficult to sell? Yes, and I do not care, 4.2 is only 10 percent of them. And the sense to spread that in what most did not have not enough mind to understand?

Alex:

Nikolai, I'm not blackmailing, I tried to get in touch with you before to help the settings. There is not enough time to figure it all out. Maybe if everything is laid out then there are those that will help you figure it out. This is where my position comes from. All maps, there is. I changed the catalysts to 200 cells, but I was not happy with the loss of power sensation, I exhausted the exhaust back preasure map by -15% a little low. Added torque maps, the power at the bottom appeared, but also from time to time the code, the throttle code actuator engine shutdown, began to fade.

Nikolai:
Such a statement of the question is already called blackmail. As for the rest, I've already said everything.

Alex:
blackmail is so blackmail, I do not earn money on this, I have nothing to lose, but you do

This is just one example of why we refused to have anything to do with you.

Do I need to go on?

Good luck to you, and anyone who gives you money.

BTW what happened to the guy in San Diego who lost a motor, that had your tune in it?

Wow Cambo ,such a low blow maybe you didn't deserve the respect I gave you after after all. As I said and as seen in your messages all I wanted was a tune for my car which you all of sudden you wouldn't sell after I told you my friend has "kess" equipment and I preferred to load the tune that way since I already had access to it vs SDD that your wanted to use.
Re Andrew loss of his engine fact that you bring this up without even checking your facts is a big minus for you, please check your facts and I will take an apology if you really didn't know that Andrews engine failure had absolutely nothing with my tune but with him running low on oil and not checking in time , he was 5 qrts low. Ask him yourself ,ask his mechanics , check his threads,
And if we are talking about real facts , btw I never cared to bring this up, but Cambo your implying on someone to have lost an engine due to a tune when in fact your tuners engine blew on his x150 xkr 4.2 This is Old Jaguars cars pistons , or maybe he didn't care to share this with you?

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-27-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Man, this thread is getting ugly.
AlexJag: I had thought if I got to the point of wanting to try a tune in my 4.2, I’d give you a shot. But I don’t think so now. Sorry.
Cambo: In my book, you’re still the go-to guy for in-depth knowledge on these toys.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Man, this thread is getting ugly.
AlexJag: I had thought if I got to the point of wanting to try a tune in my 4.2, I’d give you a shot. But I don’t think so now. Sorry.
Cambo: In my book, you’re still the go-to guy for in-depth knowledge on these toys.
I got nothing to hide. Was it the fact the Cambos tuners engine blew up that made you change your mind ? Or the fact that Cambo brought up engine failure which had nothing to do with me?

Old 09-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Just in defense of Alexjag whom I know nothing of other than posting here , its hard to believe that you are trying to pin a blown engine on his tune, it could have blown for a multitude of reasons. Why do you suggest his tune was the culprit?

The following users liked this post:
badicedog (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadacat
its hard to believe that you are trying to pin a blown engine on his tune, it could have blown for a multitude of reasons. Why do you suggest his tune was the culprit?
Just to help you out.
Its the ethics that's come into question, (the tone not the tune) of someone who says they are willing to hurt your livelihood if you dont give them x.
Like someone saying to a restaurant; I will post your recipe online and hurt you, unless you teach me how to cook this dish.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Yup their's blackmailing go on, slanderous allegations, he said she said. Making of a True Detective magazine.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Both have promised me a tune, only one has responded to my further inquiries.

The other has been beyond helpful in other matters, however.

Dunno, man.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cee Jay

Dunno, man.
I'll be happy to answer any questions and help with the tune

Either way , There is no blackmailing anyone here. All was said that basically I need help and if not I can do what you do and better, so here we are. I got my own Dyno developed tune , got lower temp thermostat developed and other mods in progress. Competition is healthy thats how capitalism works.
if telling someone I will start making money on this product which I don't care to do but your leaving me no choice if I can't get help, if thats "blackmail" I think someone needs a vocabulary refresh.
The fact the Cambo brings all of this up after over two years and tried to put a shade on me that someone engine was blown just because he had my tune and avoiding the real facts that tune had nothing to do with it and that car has been 5qts low on oil and that was the cause. Just because he is a moderator that gives him more credibility somehow so he tries to ruin reputation of his competion? That's just not cool. What's next he will sensor and ban members that say something against him or directly compete with him?

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-27-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:12 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

It seems to me that these engines just do not respond well to tunes. Jaguar in their latest version of the SVR only list a 25hp increase from the old XKR-S. A lot of the Jaguar tuners claim all kinds of power available 50hp for example, yet not one of them show before and after dyno runs on the same dyno on the same day with the only difference being the tune. There is a very big reason for this. Save your money, if you want to go faster, buy sticky tires or a different car.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mufc
It seems to me that these engines just do not respond well to tunes. Jaguar in their latest version of the SVR only list a 25hp increase from the old XKR-S. A lot of the Jaguar tuners claim all kinds of power available 50hp for example, yet not one of them show before and after dyno runs on the same dyno on the same day with the only difference being the tune. There is a very big reason for this. Save your money, if you want to go faster, buy sticky tires or a different car.
You are mistaken I have before and after dynoes and have significant gains , check my threads, went from 359 with pulley only to the wheels to 432 to the wheels after tune and added high flow cats. Also have before and after track times, again significant gains in a 4.2 engine.

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-27-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay

Dunno, man.
Sorry about that. I basically stopped providing tunes to people in the US because Alex has been contacting everyone he knew that had our tune and asking for a copy of it, either the file that we sent or to plug in to the car and read it out.
I never said anything about this, I just stayed quiet, as I have for the last year or so, but finally enough is enough. Maybe staying quiet was not the best idea, since it leads to where we are now, which is the last thing I wanted.

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Just to help you out.
Its the ethics that's come into question, (the tone not the tune) of someone who says they are willing to hurt your livelihood if you dont give them x.
Like someone saying to a restaurant; I will post your recipe online and hurt you, unless you teach me how to cook this dish.
Thanks, you've summed it up better than I ever could.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cambo:
Cee Jay (09-27-2019), Ngarara (09-27-2019), Panthro (10-17-2019), Queen and Country (09-28-2019), Ranchero50 (09-29-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 02:26 PM
Sponsor

This is pointless . Cambo if your butthurt that I got better results on a dyno with my tune ( built from scratch, lots of tweaking and testing and dyno time) , suck it up and do better, improve your tune show some Dyno gains. Just don't blow up the engine like your tuner did.
All I got to say.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

What's ironic is this thread was supposed to be about the results of working with VelocityAP...

The following 6 users liked this post by jahummer:
Cee Jay (09-27-2019), Dcdeuce (04-10-2022), Ngarara (09-27-2019), Panthro (10-17-2019), SinF (09-30-2019), TexasTraveler (09-27-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-27-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexJag
You are mistaken I have before and after dynoes and have significant gains , check my threads, went from 359 with pulley only to the wheels to 432 to the wheels after tune and added high flow cats. Also have before and after track times, again significant gains in a 4.2 engine.
If you could post the dyno graph's for all to see it would no doubt boost your sales of tunes. If you have before and after dyno graphs for the 5.0 superchaged engine I would be interested to see it as the tune I have made little to no difference.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Received 339 Likes on 190 Posts

Ok, going to chime in here for a one single time. My name is Nick AKA OldJaguar and I’m a guy, who makes a calibration work on these tunes.

First of all, there were a speculation that I’ve blew mine engine up, want to make a things clear about that.

The failure was in a cyl.1,2,8 pistons. The primary reason of a failure was a sticking piston pin in cyl.1 piston. Since the pin was sticking in some position the piston was damages. To be honest I can’t find any way to damage a single piston pin with a tune.

The second reason was a too tight intake valves gap on cyl.8. While there should be .18-.23mm (sorry, im a metric guy)mm of gap I was able to put only .07mm gauge. The only reason why the valves wasn’t damaged/burnt is that these was intake (cooled, huh) valves. Well, the mixture in a cyl.8 (a hot one) was way off.

And last, but not least, if you’ll look on a firing order of a aj-v8, the problem in a cyl.1 would give an increased load on a cyl.2 and cyl.8

I was a first to disassemble this particular engine, so that was a good old factory issues.

Don’t forget that this engine (mine own engine) was a test-bed for a tunes, to get a highest/safe borderline and I was beating a hell out of it every single day (there’s not so much speedcams over here and the fines a low enough) and it still managed to survive for a good 50000km. Guess that with gentle driving it was possible for it to last for a twice more, at least.

If anyone could tell me, how a tune can damage one piston pin and 3 pistons, while leaving others in a mint condition – I’d be very appriciated, since there’s almost no way for a such a thing.

There’s even more – up until the moment, when I’ve started to remove an engine – the car was 100% drivable, still making a good power, no noises, no issues. Just an occasional blue smoke (cats were removed) was troubling me. And, if I blew up an engine due to the tune – would I make a post about it in a social network (come on, it was mine car and a repair was finished in a day or two)?

By the way, during a development I’ve found that one single mistake (one variable, 1byte long) could lead to HUGE oil consumption, literally I’ve lost 2liters during 200km (but I was checking oil level daily), after fixing this variable the consumption was ZERO again.

As for a AlexJag (or AlexXKR on a few different forums) – he was trying to blackmail me (constantly whining that he just want a tune for himself, he’s not going to sell it, that it’s not for making money, e.tc.) , that if I don’t provide him a tune for a discount price in an a raw binary form (without any kind of protection) he will post a damos (that’s a description of all maps and variables in a tune) and power settings (actually with that info anyone can make a tune for himself) on a forums for free (hey, I still have all these messages, some of them are in english, some in russian, but these can be translated). Well, I don’t want to mess with a blackmailers and for me it’s easier to loose a part of a market (4.2 engines don’t gives me a lot of income anyway, im more focused on a 3.0/5.0SC engines and a JLR diesel engines) that messing with someone, who tries such an unhonest things. And I have a few reports from a customers, who told me that AlexJag was asking them to download mine tune from theirs cars and send it to him for “imrpovemet”. Ok, such a espionage is common in this kind of business, but I can’t call it a honest way of making it, it’s a dirty way.

If anyone is interested – I have a photos (not a screenshots, photos. With geotags and other metadata – just to proof that it wasn’t photoshopped. These are saved in both languages – Russian an English, since AlexXKR occasionally tried, for whatever reasons, to write in Russian.) of these conversation with AlexJag. If he have “nothing to hide” he probably would give an approval to post these somewhere, so the public could judge – if it was a blackmailing or not.

As for a dyno graphs… These makes no sense at all in terms of power, let me explain you why:

-The one can make a run in a 3 gear instead of 4. That would give bigger power graph, while less actual power

-It’s easy to fill a tank with E85 (or another chemical additives), make a special tune, put an ice bags over the IC and a dyno would be over the roof, but such a tune won’t be safe (and comfortable) for daily driving.

The only thing matters – is acceleration and terminal speed at the end of a quarter mile or a mile. The more power you have – the slower 60ft (without rollout) and 1/8mile you’ll be (if we’re talking about street legal cars, on a street legal tyres) and the bigger terminal speed at the end of a quarter mile you’ll get – you can’t fool a physics.

That’s all, folks

P.S. BTW, I still can’t see a free damos/settings posted by AlexXKR on any forum…

The following 4 users liked this post by MoscowLeaper:
Dcdeuce (04-10-2022), Panthro (10-17-2019), Queen and Country (09-28-2019), SinF (09-30-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Sponsor

Funny ,, Nikolay You can try to spin this in whatever way you want and of course, as you are Cambos tuner and you both make a buck on this. Cambo has posted the conversation I had with you above I got nothing to hide there. Once again need to brush up on what blackmail is. I didn't ask for a discount or else ,that's Bs and you know it. You guys refused to help In any way as soon as I told Cambo that I have a friend with tuning equipment that I could borrow to load the file. And yes there was no plan to sell anything all I wanted was a faster car, but I ended up spending so much time and effort on Dyno, tracks and development and got amazing results I figured why not help others and get some apriciation that way. Bottom line is Tune was developed by me, not you Nick , it's not a tune copied from yours, never seen your tune
,as you can tell by a much better Dyno result compared to a car tuned by you. Believe it or not Dyno was on 91 crappy CA gas and 3rd and 4th gear 4th gear was only 6hp difference. Same Dyno , same operator and around 70hp to the wheels gain. My 1/8 mi and 1/4mi show it as well.
On your car I could care less how or why your tuned engine blew up, the only reason I brought it up is due to Cambo bringing up a failed engine that had my tune as if my tune had something to do with it which is plainly a lie, and he knows it.
On your 1/4 mi time , any drag racer knows you can not compare time slips from different tracks unless you take in account conditions and Density Altitude. You can't take a sea level track and compare it to one thats 1500 ft above see level ,terminal speed will be off, time can be off by as much as a second ,same car different track, but apparently your trying to mislead there as well since Cambos track is at Sea level. Heck if can get Mickey Thomson's drag tires and go on same track that I was 12.5 on street tires at can easily hit 11.9 that's a fact , would that mean I gained a bunch of power ? Please..

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-27-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP AJ34S 4.2 XKR Dyno tune