XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

VelocityAP AJ34S 4.2 XKR Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

So, how about this crazy weather everyone has been having lately???? I know, right? Too hot, then too cold, then there's those dang cyclones and hurricanes all over. Too bad most of the low-lying land area will be under water in a few decades though..........

The following 4 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
badicedog (09-27-2019), JagRag (09-27-2019), kj07xk (09-27-2019), Panthro (10-17-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Auto manufactures always advertise the HP and torque their engines make and do so under controlled conditions that are used industry wide to guarantee their products minimum power claims. No tuners do this. Why? Because if their customers actually saw what they actually gained or even lost with the expensive tune they just purchased they would have no customers and would be out of business.
Still no tuners have posted their graphs with the only change being the tune. And guess what, none will.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:31 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Alex I will try to make it crystal clear.

I don't care about your dyno numbers, they are as inflated as your ego.
I don't care about your 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, density altitude or correction factors.
I don't care who you sell your tune to.

We picked it quite early that you were not trustworthy, so we didn't want to have anything to do with you.
Your antics since that time have just reinforced that we made the right choice.
I never said a word about you, your tune, your car, your activities, and until yesterday you seemed smart enough to not talk about me either.

You've been constantly trying to get your hands on our tune, pestering everyone you know who has it, very recently too, even in the time that you've been selling your own.
Fortunately for us everyone you tried to get it from is more ethical than you are. But an attempted theft is just as bad as a successful one in my books.

If your tune is so bloody awesome, why do you keep trying to steal ours? Or are you going to deny this fact too?

The following users liked this post:
TM08XKR (08-03-2022)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:35 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
Auto manufactures always advertise the HP and torque their engines make and do so under controlled conditions that are used industry wide to guarantee their products minimum power claims. No tuners do this. Why? Because if their customers actually saw what they actually gained or even lost with the expensive tune they just purchased they would have no customers and would be out of business.
Still no tuners have posted their graphs with the only change being the tune. And guess what, none will.
My Dyno of before and after is with same setup with added high flow cats which maybe added a Max of 10-15 hp. Same Dyno , same operator, gain of around 70 to the wheels, so tune adds a lot , my times went from 13.3 to 12.6 on same Las Vegas track that is a huge improvement.
Just out of curiosity who did you get your tune from? Did you test you car on track or Dyno before and after ? What year is your car? Don't know if you seen my thread 2 years ago where I bought several tunes and ended up loosing hp with one tuner and gained minimal with another. These cars are tricky if you don't know what your doing , so it doesnt surprise me at all . Actually a tune from Eurocharged on my car felt absolutely not a bit different than stock. Also none of the two tuners even managed to change wot Afr ratio which is a big one so you got to deal with tuner who knows your car and actually tested and made the tune for that specific car.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

As Moscow Leaper said, the terminal speed in the standing quarter mile is one of the best indications and is also pretty hard to fake.

My car when stock was doing a best terminal speed of 115.73 mph for the quarter mile. If you put that in to the 'Calculate HP From Weight and MPH' field of this calculator, along with a weight of 4215lbs for the car plus me, you get the calculated bhp of 503.42 which is around what Jaguar published for the 5 litre XKR.

ET-MPH-HP Calculator

My best terminal speed after adding a tune, the XKR-S exhaust mid section and a smaller supercharger pulley is 124.63 mph. If you put that along with 4215lbs in to the calculator, the estimated bhp is 628.73. The exhaust and pulley change alone isn't going to give you 125 bhp so that is the only proof I need!

Panthro (10-17-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

11.925@120.59,= 569.00hp on your calculator

Old 09-28-2019, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

By the way, during a development I’ve found that one single mistake (one variable, 1byte long) could lead to HUGE oil consumption, literally I’ve lost 2liters during 200km (but I was checking oil level daily), after fixing this variable the consumption was ZERO again.

This is one of the most useful pieces of information ever, not just on this thread. (thank you)
Clearly Nick is experimenting in ways Jaguar wont......
All this time there has been mysterious oil consumption, even on brand new Ftypes that Jaguar cant explain.
Everybody thought that it had to be something mechanical, or physical.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 09-28-2019 at 12:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Panthro (10-17-2019), Ranchero50 (09-29-2019), SinF (09-30-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

Something is askew with that calculator...

"Your HP is 491.26 computed from your vehicle weight of 4215 pounds and ET of 11.925 seconds."

Old 09-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

WHEEL vs CRANK???

Old 09-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Received 339 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
This is one of the most useful pieces of information ever, not just on this thread. (thank you)
Clearly Nick is experimenting in ways Jaguar wont......
All this time there has been mysterious oil consumption, even on brand new Ftypes that Jaguar cant explain.
Everybody thought that it had to be something mechanical, or physical.
Well, im doing pretty much development/reverse engineering every day and i can see a lot of mistake/ flaws made by JLR.
As for an engines - the only engine, affected by a tune issue i've wrote is 4.2.
As for AJ133/AJ126 the reason of an oil starvation is quite diffrent (however it is diffrent between Denso and Bosch PCMs) and i don't really want to publish it. The publication of the issue may cause a lot of lawsuits against JLR and, from a JLR's point of view, i would be a primal cause of these lawsuits (and i don't want this to happen, since im working on these cars for a living - not only by recalibrating a tunes, but also making a retrofits, various tuning and complex repairs. If someone at JLR would be angry at me - i have too much to loose tbh). The only advice i could give - check oil level as often as possible and keep it as high as possible. Also, replace a PCV valves every few years, that should increase an engine life for quite a long time.

P.S. Sometimes i really wonder - why they made a things in a wrongest way possible. I.e. - during a reversing a software of X351 IPC i've found some amazing things
-All of the images are stored in a RAW format in a one huge file. All of the images have a diffrent size/resoulution, so to draw evey single line the software MUST know an offset from a beginning of this file.
-There's software, which responsible for a CAN-bus comms, and this software commands to set a needles to a needed position (like it was in an older, gauge type IPCs on X150 or X250), then a diffrent software in separated CPU draws a needles in a needed position.
-While pre-2016 and post-2016 IPCs have exactly a same CPU and PCB (except for a CAN-bus drivers) the software is diffrent. And Range Rovers, having a same IPC PCB/CPU as a X351, uses yet another totally diffrent software.
Now i can understand why there's so many glitches and why these cars are so expensive at a development. And that's only one example of a many....

The following 3 users liked this post by MoscowLeaper:
JagRag (09-28-2019), Panthro (10-17-2019), SinF (09-30-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Sponsor

As to trap speed being an exact indicator of power , there is no such thing. It's only for approximately estimating the gains, and once again only if you have before and after runs. Snapshot of simple DA correction factor used, notice that same car can run 112mph on one track and as much as 117mph and 12.5 1/4mi and 11.9 1/4mi on another only due to DA factor. This is exactly why all dynoes spit out corrected numbers and only corrected numbers are used. So whomever is trying to convince ppl that trap speed is best indicator of power is misleading or doesnt know what they are talking about. Sure you can use it, but if your comparing tracks , always must use correction factors to be somewhat acurate at least .

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-28-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

My car is traction limited. It should be doing mid 11's, possibly less, if I could get off the line cleanly. I have to pull away in second gear to minimise wheel spin.

Max mph is a better indicator because you are accelerating a known mass over a known distance. Wheel spinning for a few seconds off the line has a huge impact as a percentage on the standing quarter times but less on the terminal speed. Standing quarter timed can vary by 10-15% but terminal speed generally by only 1-2%.

The standing quarter times for my max speed run of 124.63 mph were 12.450 with a 60 foot time of 2.267. Both of those are hopeless compared to what the car can do but the terminal speed shows the underlying raw power available. That was done on a cooler day at the end of the season so the tyres weren't getting good traction but the supercharger was loving the cooler air. I had also fitted a more powerful intercooler pump just before that session which would have helped.

Panthro (10-17-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 02:50 PM
Received 339 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
My car is traction limited. It should be doing mid 11's, possibly less, if I could get off the line cleanly. I have to pull away in second gear to minimise wheel spin.

Max mph is a better indicator because you are accelerating a known mass over a known distance. Wheel spinning for a few seconds off the line has a huge impact as a percentage on the standing quarter times but less on the terminal speed. Standing quarter timed can vary by 10-15% but terminal speed generally by only 1-2%.

The standing quarter times for my max speed run of 124.63 mph were 12.450 with a 60 foot time of 2.267. Both of those are hopeless compared to what the car can do but the terminal speed shows the underlying raw power available. That was done on a cooler day at the end of the season so the tyres weren't getting good traction but the supercharger was loving the cooler air. I had also fitted a more powerful intercooler pump just before that session which would have helped.
Totally agree. And notice, that the temp. matters for forced induction engines, but while density is still in some acceptable range (you're not 5000m high) it doesn't affect the trap speed that much (NA engines are a totally diffrent story).

The following 2 users liked this post by MoscowLeaper:
Panthro (10-17-2019), steve_k_xk (09-29-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Sponsor

My before modifications and after times on same track. Notice how the slower the take off or 60ft the higher trap speeds were on before modifications runs.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Alex I will try to make it crystal clear.

I don't care about your dyno numbers, they are as inflated as your ego.
I don't care about your 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, density altitude or correction factors.
I don't care who you sell your tune to.

We picked it quite early that you were not trustworthy, so we didn't want to have anything to do with you.
Your antics since that time have just reinforced that we made the right choice.
I never said a word about you, your tune, your car, your activities, and until yesterday you seemed smart enough to not talk about me either.

You've been constantly trying to get your hands on our tune, pestering everyone you know who has it, very recently too, even in the time that you've been selling your own.
Fortunately for us everyone you tried to get it from is more ethical than you are. But an attempted theft is just as bad as a successful one in my books.

If your tune is so bloody awesome, why do you keep trying to steal ours? Or are you going to deny this fact too?
No response to this at all.

MoscowLeaper (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Sponsor

No response to this at all.
Respond ? Why don't you respond first to why your falsy implying that my tune had something to do with customers engine damage when you knew this wasn't the case? This is coming from sopesedly a trustworthy individual or you didn't know that my tune had nothing to do with it?

Old 09-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJag
Respond ? Why don't you respond first to why your falsy implying that my tune had something to do with customers engine damage when you knew this wasn't the case? This is coming from sopesedly a trustworthy individual or you didn't know that my tune had nothing to do with it?
You can't respond, because it's absolutely true that you've been trying to steal our tune.

As for your customers engine damage, it's already been explained that one little mistake in the 4.2 tune can cause excessive oil consumption. And what I do know, is that you don't know what that mistake is.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

YYYYAYAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to your corners and think about what naughty kids you've both been!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
AlexJag (09-28-2019), JagRag (09-28-2019), SinF (09-30-2019), Stuart S (09-29-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 04:17 PM
Sponsor

You can't respond, because it's absolutely true that you've been trying to steal our tune.

As for your customers engine damage, it's already been explained that one little mistake in the 4.2 tune can cause excessive oil consumption. And what I do know, is that you don't know what that mistake is.
Lol wow just wow, bravo Cambo! Yes the little mistake , the one 1 byte which all of sudden increases oil consumption through the roof never seen but the myth exists and overriding all mechanical sense of an engine!
Your tuner should apply to work at Jaguar instead or working for pennies on the dollar, finding mistakes like that , I'm sure Jaguar is willing to reward your tuner greatly.
If you bring it up in that context , question for you; how come your Guru have failed to see a problem with his own engine which led his pistons melting? Another factory defect ? Too bad your guru didn't spot it in time, or maybe he created it by an accidental key stroke ? That deadly one byte. Just wow! Kudos to your Guru!

2013 XJ 5.0 Supercharged, (stock with Alpha Jag ECU tune), estimated power: 600+ hp, 7.7sec 1.8th mi/95mph

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-28-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJag
Lol wow just wow, bravo Cambo! Yes the little mistake , the one 1 byte which all of sudden increases oil consumption through the roof never seen but the myth exists.
Your tuner should apply to work at Jaguar instead or working for pennies on the dollar, finding mistakes like that , I'm sure Jaguar is willing to reward your tuner greatly.
If you bring it up in that context , question for you; how come your tuner have failed to see a problem with his own engine which led his pistons melting? Another factory defect ? Too bad your guru didn't spot it in time, or maybe he created it by an accidental key stroke ? That deadly one byte. Just wow! Kudos to your Guru!
Actually, he did work for Jaguar Land Rover in the past.

How many times are you going to dodge the fact that you have been trying to steal our tune?

Or is being a blackmailing thief standard business practise for you?

Quick Reply: VelocityAP AJ34S 4.2 XKR Dyno tune