XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

VIC

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIC

I have a 2009 jaguar xk. Yesterday a code p2431 appeared on my dash. Is there anyone who knows what it represents and what component needs to be replaced?

Please advise.

Thx.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:17 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum VFOLZ,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XK/XKR forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I searched Google, it took six seconds to find it:
Secondary Air Injection System Air Flow/Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 PM

Thx but I had that info. Would you know what component needs replacement or how this can be rectified?

Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Default VIC

Does anyone know where the secondary air injection system airfolow / pressure sensor is located on my 2009 Jaguar xk

Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VFoltz
Thx but I had that info. Would you know what component needs replacement or how this can be rectified?
Ok, my bad. I'll look around for it.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Jags still use AIR pumps???

AIR Pressure Sensor
CIRCUIT/SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
The secondary air injection (AIR) system aids in the reduction of hydrocarbon emissions during a cold start. The system forces fresh filtered air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate the catalyst operation. An electric air pump, the secondary AIR injection pump, provides filtered air on demand to the AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly. The AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly controls the flow of air from the AIR pump to the exhaust manifold. The AIR solenoid valve relay supplies the current needed to operate the AIR solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly. A pressure sensor is used to monitor the air flow from the AIR pump. The control module supplies the internal pressure sensor with a 5-Volt reference, an electrical ground, and a signal circuit.

Other than that, I'd suppose it'd be the same Air Injection System that has been used since the mid-eighties. Specifically, for an XK, I have no idea.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

This image from the workshop manual shows where the sensor is:

VIC-screen-shot-2015-08-25-22.09.28.jpg

However, you need to check the whole of the secondary air injection system, because leaks, a faulty pump or a faulty valve can trigger that code. The sensor tells you there's a problem with SAI pressure, not where it is.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Our 2007 XK's CEL just came on for the first time since we bought it back in December. AutoZone diagnostics tool reader guy printed me out a sheet of paper from the reading saying it is "Error Codes Read: P2431 Secondary Air Injection System Air Flow/Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1" and it listed it twice... whatever that means.
There's been some discussion in an S-Type forum over this very P2431 code that the first step should be to take it to the dealer and "flash the system" for the latest software update? Does this make enough sense to anyone here to explain this to me?

Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

If the problem is known to be potentially caused by a software bug, or possibly corruption of the software image, then getting the latest software loaded (or reloaded, if you already have the latest) is worth a try. It might not cure it, but if it does, that's saved time & money getting sensors replaced for no reason.

"Flashing" the car's systems simply means erasing and reloading the software - the type of permanent memory chips used for storing it is known as Flash EPROM, hence the term.

The following users liked this post:
Geosnooker2000 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
If the problem is known to be potentially caused by a software bug, or possibly corruption of the software image, then getting the latest software loaded (or reloaded, if you already have the latest) is worth a try. It might not cure it, but if it does, that's saved time & money getting sensors replaced for no reason.

"Flashing" the car's systems simply means erasing and reloading the software - the type of permanent memory chips used for storing it is known as Flash EPROM, hence the term.
Uhhhh...... IS there a DIY on flashing the system? Because I just called the dealer yesterday, and he said 2+ hours = +/- $325 for flashing the system. I tried contacting my indy shop to see if he was set up for this kind of operation, but have not heard back from him yet. Is this something only a dealer can do? Can I do it?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I would go through a few different approaches before going to a dealer. First is to have someone erase the codes. If they come back then I would re-boot the system . This consists of removing the battery terminal and touching it to the other terminal. Then reattach it and see if the code comes back. If it does then go see the dealer or mechanic and have them check the sensors before they reflash the SW. My 2 cents here.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I would go through a few different approaches before going to a dealer. First is to have someone erase the codes. If they come back then I would re-boot the system . This consists of removing the battery terminal and touching it to the other terminal. Then reattach it and see if the code comes back. If it does then go see the dealer or mechanic and have them check the sensors before they reflash the SW. My 2 cents here.
"First, have 'someone' erase the codes."

Someone meaning, like, autozone dude with his code reader? When I want to erase codes on my 1999 Explorer, I just unhook the battery for about 10 minutes. Essence of my question: how do you erase codes, and with what apparatus?

"If they come back then I would re-boot the system . This consists of removing the battery terminal and touching it to the other terminal."

Which one? Are you saying remove the, let's say, negative terminal lead and touch it to the positive terminal while it is still attached? My limited knowledge of electricity tells me this will discharge any charge inside the motherboard of the computer, correct?

Old 04-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, Geosnooker, that's what touching the battery terminals together does, it discharges all the volatile memory from all the systems. It's the short way of disconnecting the battery and waiting for 10-30 minutes.
Also, erasing the Engine codes with a code checker like the Autozone dude does ONLY erases the codes and does not reset any of the other electronics. Code readers/live data readers are quite cheap nowadays, like $6 for the Bluetooth and free Torque App for phones and tablets.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Yes, Geosnooker, that's what touching the battery terminals together does, it discharges all the volatile memory from all the systems. It's the short way of disconnecting the battery and waiting for 10-30 minutes.
Also, erasing the Engine codes with a code checker like the Autozone dude does ONLY erases the codes and does not reset any of the other electronics. Code readers/live data readers are quite cheap nowadays, like $6 for the Bluetooth and free Torque App for phones and tablets.
But again, I'm asking if it is okay to leave the one side attached to the battery, and if so, which side? Sorry to be so specific, but I cannot afford to go frying motherboards and ruining $200 batteries due to my own ignorance.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Geosnooker2000
But again, I'm asking if it is okay to leave the one side attached to the battery, and if so, which side? Sorry to be so specific, but I cannot afford to go frying motherboards and ruining $200 batteries due to my own ignorance.
OK lets make this specific. Remove BOTH battery terminals. Then touch and hold the 2 wires together for 10 seconds. Then reattach each battery wire to their correct terminal. Now go to Autozone or any auto parts store and tell the clerk you want a cheap OBDII code reader that will erase the codes. They are nice to have for future use on all OBDII cars. If you saw where the AZ guy plugged his reader in this is where you need to also. When you touch the wires you will most likely lose all of your radio , seat and BT settings. You'll need to reset them all.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:47 PM

What are BT settings? Not familiar with that abbreviation.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

What are BT settings? Not familiar with that abbreviation.
Blue Tooth BT

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Geosnooker2000 (04-22-2017), ralphwg (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:36 PM

Okay, weird.... Went to dinner tonight in the Jag. No CEL. My wife, who drives it on the daily, said that it has been off for the last two days. Just went out to check again with the ignition on start-up... bulb's not blown. Strange.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Okay, weird.... Went to dinner tonight in the Jag. No CEL. My wife, who drives it on the daily, said that it has been off for the last two days. Just went out to check again with the ignition on start-up... bulb's not blown. Strange.
If the module that generated the code does not reproduce that code after 3 cycles of the ignition typically the fault light will not return. The cluster lights are LEDs by the way. Resetting the car via the method mentioned above would be the next step if the light and code return. Also make certain the battery is either been tendered or new and these cars as well as many modern cars are sensitive to battery voltage drops. A good OBD scanner or dongle with an app is also recommended. And lastly anything software related to the car must be serviced via Jaguar specific diagnostic and service equipment.

Quick Reply: VIC