XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Six months! No way could I wait that long. I'm an impulse buyer, and I needed to fill that impulse!
I can attest as an avid Jag Forum member, Jagtoes looked at quite a few cars, had numerous questions on the forum over a long period, and I for one was wondering if this guy was really serious about buying or just dreaming of a late model Jaguar XKR.

But he ended up doing it right, patience was important to him, finding the right color and match. Just go back and review many of his first posts here, and probably the first 50 or so.

I think he followed great discipline in the buying process, as cars like the Jaguar brand can become an impulse item quickly. There is an aura between the Jag brand of prestige and quality. Patience is the virtue and he certainly proves this point. He found exactly what he wanted and somewhat at the price he wanted. Granted he is much more mature in age than the OP and has had a good background and experience owning quality vehicles.

We all have many things in life to learn, and have to learn via the school of hard knocks. Wisdom comes with age, something that Jagtoes has vs the younger OP.

We all wish him well, but I must attest, that many of the reply's come from members of the Jag Forum that have been seasoned car owners and Jaguar owners also. Hopefully, the purchase goes well for him, but if not he has been warned from all that have replied. As the old saying goes, "Buyer Beware".

Old 02-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Well said Rich, I think perhaps this post ought to be in the other thread but like still won't resonate. I started my search back in Feb 2014, checked out many, made a few offers. Lost one definite gem probably another but in December wound up purchasing my car in Detroit driving it back to San Diego (I asked and it is MUCH happier in this weather!). "Ignorance has its costs" -With no game plan/strategy/idea of exactly what criteria you're looking for, if you go in with limited knowledge, and seek only to affirm your desires versus what is actually there, and do not know what questions to ask when, then lastly have a solid idea of what the true value of the car is you're only gambling.

Years ago a guy had a business in my office building of finding people cars, sounded good to me so I engaged with him. I told him that I wanted a BMW M3 1999 vert with under 60K miles, 5 speed, heated seats, met blue w/ white interior, low# of owners and in excellent to showroom condition... he said "well we don't take orders like that, we just get cars for people", meaning nothing more specific than perhaps make and maybe model but nothing else... that was the last time I ever spoke with him. Waste of time and effort.

Just on the initial couple minutes of the call I can eliminate probably 90% of the cars out there. I have a long Excel listing of cars on various sites including year, options, color combo, notes, price, date listed and date sold, etc for the Jag and had one for my last Porsche too - this was VERY valuable in assessing value and negotiating this Jag purchase. For each car I create a checklist of questions to ask (smoker? Why are you selling? How long have you had it? Where did you get it? What makes this car anything other than showroom condition? To name a few) that I asked or emailed each prospective person who's car I was interested in. I also had a very comprehensive list of things to do and look at when I get to the car (read OBDII codes, verify Vin's, very body panels are straight and without any paint work and that their VIN's match, etc). Little logical things like this do wonders for stacking the odds of making a good purchase in my favor each time. I like to play poker once in a while but I won't gamble when it comes to purchasing cars. I've been paid to both negotiate a few new car deals and also acted as a paid PPI person for out of state person looking to get a car (it was pretty well trashed).

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (02-05-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

What's the status on the sale? or purchase?

I see the auction ended at $ 22,100 today. I am assuming the Jag forum member in post#1 bought the car, but not sure.

The Reserve Price was not met.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned my 2010 XKR for a little over a year. Not really looking for an R but I wanted white. Only 27K miles when purchased for $42,000.00. Showroom condition. When I was looking for an XK I was told by my dealer to try and buy a 2010 or newer as it was much improved over the previous years. Not knowing anything about Jaguars I also purchased a 4 year extended warranty ($5K). The car already had an extended warranty because it was a certified car but it was about to expire. The car is very quick (510 HP). The ride was a little firm for me so I replaced the Michelin tires with Continentals. Doesn't handle as well but a smoother ride. I don't plan on taking it to a track. The car is white. I had the wheels painted light gray and bits and pieces painted black. Looks really good. Here is a list of repairs and such I have had so far... Oil change, $110.00. Sensor, under warranty. Painter, $3,300.00. Brake pads, $700.00. Rear struts and assemblies due to squeak, under warranty. Tires, $967.00. Mounting 167.00. Currently I will be replacing some sort of pump in the rear. Should be under warranty. New battery, no charge. A bump in insurance. For me I would have preferred an XK instead of an R. Hope this helps
Lar's
/Users/larry R/Desktop/2010 Jaguar XKR.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-jaguar-almost-done.jpg  

Last edited by Lar's; 02-09-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Lar's,
$700 for brakes? Dang... I replace my fronts AND rears, with new rotors, for under $300 and about 1-1/2 hours "labor". Did a Jag Dealer do your work? $400/hour seems like an awful lot for labor.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Lar's,
$700 for brakes? Dang... I replace my fronts AND rears, with new rotors, for under $300 and about 1-1/2 hours "labor". Did a Jag Dealer do your work? $400/hour seems like an awful lot for labor.
There are those that can do , those that can't do and those who don't want to do. I would believe that by the price of your parts they are not OEM Jaguar which is neither good or bad but if you go to a dealer that's what they use and charge for. As for the labor the dealer charges what's in the book regardless of how long they take. Then the hourly rate is what is charged to cover their overhead like bricks and mortar along with salaries and benefits. Just simple math so you either pay the freight or do it your way.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Jaguar dealer did the work! May I ask, where did you get your brake work done for $300.00?

Last edited by Lar's; 02-09-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Pick your OEM brake parts and add up the dollars.
BRAKE COMPONENTS for 2010 Jaguar XKR

Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Banned

See what happens when you don't do your homework. You wrote "brake pads $700" not including rotors... you got taken badly. Like was said earlier that service was MAYBE 90 minutes to do both front and rear including a brake fluid change

Amazon Amazon
- $116 for EBC fronts
SNG Barret - $58 for fronts
two examples of what the parts could costs.

IF I was to ever seek a dealer for my service, can't think of anything other than having my key reprogrammed that I'd need to, ALWAYS buy your parts else for at least a 40% savings. They are getting a huge mark up on the parts AND charging a realistic $400+/hr for their service charge of actual time performed. Any decent indi could have done that job every bit as well but still buy your parts elsewhere. Unles you take pride in telling others of the high price you pay for repairs there's zero reason to spend excessively as you're not getting "better" quality at a dealership you're just paying for their marble to be polished, country club payments, etc

Cee Jay (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Lar's
Jaguar dealer did the work! May I ask, where did you get your brake work done for $300.00?
In my garage. . . If you can open a jar of pickles without injuring yourself, you can change the brakes on an XKR. Things screw off and then they screw on.
Jaguar "Factory" parts remind me of an HVAC guy did to my Homeowners Warrantee for appliances and building materials that I got when I bought my house. The boiler had a faulty valve on one zone so here comes a guy and fixes it cuz I don't want to cuz it's free. Anyway, he does the work and leaves. I see on the itemized receipt that it was $1500. Parts that cost literally $5.50 at any local hardware store he charged $75 bucks for (Gator Bites, look it up). Not kidding. The zone valve that cost $60 (Taco Zone Control Actuator) he charged NINE HUNDRED. This is NOT an exaggeration.
Dealer markup is ridiculous.
Pay people to do what I can easily do myself with very little effort??? Hell No! It has nothing to do whether I can afford to do it myself or not, which I can, but nobody is going to rake me over the coals money-wise just because I'm lazy.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Banned

Don't forget CeeJay many people actually find happiness in paying more than others. I couldn't believe it when was dating rather wealthy women that they were proud of over-paying for everything - I'm not being sarcastic here. As if it were a game to see who could pay more for the same item... totally against my philosophy but hey it spurns the economy and they can't take it with them! Also many people have company cars so it's only a signature nothing directly out of their pockets.

With regard to paying dealerships - an extreme mark up on parts and $400+/hr labor rates aren't my thing but good for those who flock to them and do so! If you don't do your homework you pay the piper

Old 02-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
Don't forget CeeJay many people actually find happiness in paying more than others. I couldn't believe it when was dating rather wealthy women that they were proud of over-paying for everything - I'm not being sarcastic here. As if it were a game to see who could pay more for the same item... totally against my philosophy but hey it spurns the economy and they can't take it with them! Also many people have company cars so it's only a signature nothing directly out of their pockets.

With regard to paying dealerships - an extreme mark up on parts and $400+/hr labor rates aren't my thing but good for those who flock to them and do so! If you don't do your homework you pay the piper
Guys we need to consider that Lar's can't do the work himself and maybe he doesn't have the time or doesn't want to search around for parts and maybe get the wrong ones. There are thousands of people who can't do the work regardless of their personal wealth. Then again maybe these people are a lot smarter in other professions that we can't do. So they pay for auto service and we pay for something like dental service ( I don't think I can fill my own cavity). As you may have seen my alternator post I gave the dealer the OK to do my yearly oil service. Now I can do it myself as I have an oil extractor but for documentation and CPO warranty coverage I'll give them the $175 to do it. Considering it's winter here and with yesterday's snow I can't play golf I'll use the money for the oil change. When I hit 80 years old I'll pay someone to do all of my service work if I make it that long. It's all about priorities.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Banned

Again my last post was not being snarky or sarcastic in that I've known many people who take pride in over-paying. I'm not beseeching or judging them they are just different than me in that regard... fun to party with!

I don't know anything about Lars - perhaps he was in a hurry, maybe he only trusts dealers, maybe his company pays the repairs, maybe he had a bad experience with an indi, maybe no indo places near him, lots of reason why someone might chose a dealership over an indi or DIY but for those who are not aware of the other options and avenues available maybe this will enlighten them should they not wish to pay over list price for parts and $400/hr for labor. For many that is not an issue for others is comes down to them simply not knowing their options.

BTW - you doing your own oil has nothing to do with your CPO warranty as mfg's cannot decline coverage if you can prove you did it and did it right (all you need is the receipts for teh oil and filter and log it whenever you get around to it). $175 for an oil change breaks down to $50 worth of oil , $12 filter so $110 labor for maybe 20-30 minutes worth of work that's a bit different than paying $400/hr. Your car was already there so no time delay and you knew and accepted the options presented knowingly... where the dealerships make their money is most often by people not having information/education. That doesn't make them "stupid" most often that just makes them ignorant of the fact that they do not HAVE to pay that inflated cost.

What might help others in the same boat is others posting where they bought the parts for considerably less and perhaps DIY's as well done as that latest one on the diff replacement and the tranny pan/oil replacement... it's when people like that are so kind and detailed that it allows others to have confidence in tackling projects that dealers would normally try to gouge well over $1000 just in labor. When we see stuff like Lars here if others can chime in with where they bought their parts for far less that will directly help others in the near future and that should be the foundation of why we are here - not only to take pride in our cars but to help others achieve what they want in the cheapest and best mode available hence why I hyperlinked options of where the parts can be had for a lot less than what was paid.

Last edited by Leeper; 02-09-2016 at 07:04 PM.
jagtoes (02-09-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default caveat emptor

The issue of parts pricing is an interesting one, and I assume the US is similar to here in the UK : you can source genuine manufacturer spare parts and you can also source pattern parts from motor factors at a fraction of the price.

My experience with all kinds of vehicles is that pattern parts are usually lower quality than OEM, occasionally just as good, and rarely (but sometimes) better.

A good example of the latter might be brake pads, where EBC pads are better than factory originals on any car with a few thousand miles on the clock. This is because they are manufactured with an abrasive coating on the pad face which serves to clean the rotor surface of loose rust and speeds bedding in. They also come in different grades depending on what you intend to use the car for.

At the other extreme, here is a cautionary tale about pattern parts: on the X-Type there is a downpipe which connects the rear manifold, the front manifold and the centre silencer. This needs to be removed for all kinds of work but the clamp pinch nut is usually corroded away and as it is almost impossible to access, the pipe often needs to be cut off.

You can source a genuine Jaguar pipe (p/n C2S9550) which retails at £GBP 128 (about $US190). OR you can source a pattern part from a well known and respected brand leader, Klarius. This retails at about £GBP60, circa $US90. None of the above prices necessarily include carriage.

Easy choice? Well on closer inspection the Klarius pipe is cheaply made and where the two pipes join the gasflow is badly constricted. See pics below. Centre is the new pipe throat, far right the old.

Conclusion? Be careful when buying pattern parts. For some passive components such as panels, pipes, etc it is better and less stressful to buy from a breaker.

Caveat emptor: low price is not always best in the long run so make your buying choices wisely!!

Attached Thumbnails Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-comparison-pipes-comp.jpg   Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-new-pipe-comp.jpg   Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?-old-comp.jpg  

Last edited by Bogbrush; 02-10-2016 at 09:09 AM.
ralphwg (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Banned

Good point however there are many resources here in the states where you can purchase genuine OEM Jaguar parts for FAR less than a dealership will gouge you for... In most cases you can get those very same parts and bring them to your mechanic, dealer or Indi, saving yourself a lot of $$$. After that the question then arises does the work needed/desired require a dealer's help (extreme hourly rate), Indi (you need to know and trust they are competent), or do you possess the aptitude, tools, time, inclination, facility to take it yourself? I'd find it very hard to believe that anyone on this forum would ever need to spend $150+ at a dealership to change the cabin air filter which is at one end of the spectrum... The prizes get bigger as the game goes on!

Old 02-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

I have owned my 2010 XKR for a little over a year. Not really looking for an R but I wanted white. Only 27K miles when purchased for $42,000.00. Showroom condition. When I was looking for an XK I was told by my dealer to try and buy a 2010 or newer as it was much improved over the previous years. Not knowing anything about Jaguars I also purchased a 4 year extended warranty ($5K). The car already had an extended warranty because it was a certified car but it was about to expire. The car is very quick (510 HP). The ride was a little firm for me so I replaced the Michelin tires with Continentals. Doesn't handle as well but a smoother ride. I don't plan on taking it to a track. The car is white. I had the wheels painted light gray and bits and pieces painted black. Looks really good. Here is a list of repairs and such I have had so far... Oil change, $110.00. Sensor, under warranty. Painter, $3,300.00. Brake pads, $700.00. Rear struts and assemblies due to squeak, under warranty. Tires, $967.00. Mounting 167.00. Currently I will be replacing some sort of pump in the rear. Should be under warranty. New battery, no charge. A bump in insurance. For me I would have preferred an XK instead of an R. Hope this helps
Lar's
/Users/larry R/Desktop/2010 Jaguar XKR.pdf
Lar's just to clear something up for us do you have the breakdown of the $700 brake pad repair. Was it just pads or were there rotors replaced or turned. Do we assume it was both front and rear and they use OEM parts. Then what was your dealer labor rate and how many ours of labor did they charge. Just interested to see the different rates across the US and maybe the world.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:52 AM

JT,

Never looked at this till now. Looks like rear pads only! Not sure about hourly labor charge but I see the number 1.20 in the description of the work done, which would be ($225.00/hr).

Replace rear pads, 85607 CPJG, $270.00
1 C2D2976, brake pad sensor, $61.00
1 C2D3792, Kit-brake pad, $135.50
BGSTOP Apply BG Stop Squeal to brake pads, $18.11

29736 rear brake pad & sensor 1.20, replaced rear brake pads & sensor - applied BG Stop Squeal t pads - test drove

Labor amount, $288.11
Parts amount, $236.50
Misc, charges, $118.90
Sales tax, $55.50
Please pay this amount, $699.01

Lar's

Old 02-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Banned

$700 for rear brake pads... wow just wow. Like I've said several times that works out to @$400+/hr labor charge let alone the extreme dealer mark upon parts (at least 40% higher than could have been had for the very same parts). That also did not include a brake fluid change which likely should have been done due to this being a recent purchase. This story plays itself out every day and unless people are informed it will continue to happen

Old 02-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

JT,

Never looked at this till now. Looks like rear pads only! Not sure about hourly labor charge but I see the number 1.20 in the description of the work done, which would be ($225.00/hr).

Replace rear pads, 85607 CPJG, $270.00
1 C2D2976, brake pad sensor, $61.00
1 C2D3792, Kit-brake pad, $135.50
BGSTOP Apply BG Stop Squeal to brake pads, $18.11

29736 rear brake pad & sensor 1.20, replaced rear brake pads & sensor - applied BG Stop Squeal t pads - test drove

Labor amount, $288.11
Parts amount, $236.50
Misc, charges, $118.90
Sales tax, $55.50
Please pay this amount, $699.01

Lar's
OK thanks for the info. I guess one question I would have is what is the $118 charge for. Other then that I can see the labor and parts even though they are high but that is the going rate > I noticed my dealer is at $75/half hour= $150/hr rate.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
13 pages of beautiful cars, but not one XKR vert in my preferred color... Guess I'll continue to enjoy my XK.
I think I found you an appropriate XKR...

Jaguar XKR Base Convertible 2 Door | eBay

kj07xk (02-14-2016)

Quick Reply: Want to buy this XKR--- any reason not to?