XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Warms My Heart

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Welp, I COULD have started a new thread, but this one seemed already on the subject. So, here it is;

I just put in a fairly large bid on a 2016 AM Vanquish Volante. Probably not big ENOUGH, but who knows?

This is the one;
2016 AM Vanquish Volante on eBay

I'm not getting my hopes up, because my offer is probably less than the Reserve Price. Regardless, it's a very pretty car.
If by chance I get it, I'd probably sell the XKR because Too Many Toys.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Do you have the Gaydon era Aston book? I forget the proper title, but it's the definitive guide to those cars. I have a copy, but wish I had one before I bought my first Aston. Manual DB9 has to be in the 50's to start, no? V12 Vantage is quite buy in the used Aston market.
Have had it for about two years, definitely worth the buy. The manuals seem to mostly just be less common, not really a big difference in price the time I've been looking. I'd settle for an automatic at the right price, but the manual has fifty percent more pedals and ergo is better .

My problem with the Vantage in any form is that to me it suffers from design language trickle down. The DB9 and the early 2000s Vanquish were the cars that stylistically set the tone. The Vantage is shorter yet they work to match the design language, which to me looks off compared to the longer DB9. Objectively, they are nice cars, and the backseat in the DB9 is worthless, but I feel the looks in the longer car work better.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Welp, I COULD have started a new thread, but this one seemed already on the subject. So, here it is;

I just put in a fairly large bid on a 2016 AM Vanquish Volante. Probably not big ENOUGH, but who knows?

This is the one;

I'm not getting my hopes up, because my offer is probably less than the Reserve Price. Regardless, it's a very pretty car.
Good luck!
But won’t you miss us?

Cee Jay (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hellz, I've been in the forums for.... six years now? Started with an XK8 and graduated to my XKR. Yes, I'm in here quite a bit just nosing around and since Vanquishes no doubt have a lower Forum clientele, I'm sure I'd not do this nearly as often as I do now.

Course again, all speculation if I get it or not.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Care Jay. The current bid on that 16 AM is $12,400 for a 365,000 MSRP car with 6 days left on the sale. I assume you are placing your bid close to the end of the sale. Good luck but somehow I feel you’ll be around this forum.

Last edited by bocatrip; 02-21-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Cee Jay. The current bid on that 16 AM is $12,400 for a 365,000 MSRP car with 6 days left on the sale. I assume you are placing your bid close to the end of the sale. Good luck but somehow I feel you’ll be around this forum.
Similar cars sell for between $160k and $260k. That particular one has been for sale at that same dealer for over six months now from when I first saw it.
I have a preliminary bid in now to track, and I'll raise it when closer to the hammer.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

This is the one;

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not a fan of any black cars with black interiors and carbon fiber. Ever been in a hearse? Neither have I and I don't want a dress rehearsal (pun intended).

Yeah, I know that I'm behind the times. And I'm not alone. To me, Aston Martin is the epitome of a British gentleman's luxury sports car, oozing with real wood veneer and leather with contrasting piping. Like this one: https://www.hgreg.com/used-car/aston...ource=cars.com

Old 02-21-2019, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

THIS is an Aston we can all agree on ...

LoudHogRider (02-23-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Maybe you should download that picture and make it your desktop background.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not a fan of any black cars with black interiors and carbon fiber. Ever been in a hearse? Neither have I and I don't want a dress rehearsal (pun intended).

Yeah, I know that I'm behind the times. And I'm not alone. To me, Aston Martin is the epitome of a British gentleman's luxury sports car, oozing with real wood veneer and leather with contrasting piping. Like this one: https://www.hgreg.com/used-car/aston...ource=cars.com
White cars look like they should be on a lake to me. While I don't mind black, I would rather have blue.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Brilliant brilliant brilliant one of my favourite clips

Queen and Country (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

It's not a real AM ad though. AM can provide a factory warranty to cars up to 10 years old. Exact same warranty as when its new. The car has to be inspected and certified by an AM dealer and then different length warranties can be purchased.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Similar cars sell for between $160k and $260k. That particular one has been for sale at that same dealer for over six months now from when I first saw it.
I have a preliminary bid in now to track, and I'll raise it when closer to the hammer.
Good luck. I hope you get it. You’ll be a hero! Keep us posted.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Good luck. I hope you get it. You’ll be a hero! Keep us posted.
There are a few nice Vanquish Volante's for sale currently. They're one heck of a buy all considered! I'd like to see a coupe in my garage some day! No door dings with the carbon fiber...

Old 02-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Have you seen that volcano red one that is for sale? Excellent condition. Have you driven both the manual and automatic DB9's?
I actually have NOT driven both. I have only driven the Auto, which I will say I enjoyed and at the right price, I would bite. I'd be getting rid of my X100 for it, which is really an 8k car, and not factored in to my budget. I don't EVER buy a car expecting money from the car it replaces; and that logic has served me well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Aston-...awaq:rk:3:pf:0

Is it that the one? That's actually, REALLY reasonable. I'm budgeting 40-45k for acquisition and 5k for parts to repair because there's ALWAYS something. Hmm. That's a lot newer than I thought I could get too. You have both hamsters spinning their wheels flat out up in my head right now...

This blue over tan example at the same dealer was more what I was thinking I would end up with (but in grey over black guts), but honestly, that red example is a lot more appealing color combo and optionwise;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Aston-...GW~:rk:29:pf:0

It'd be cool to test drive both at the same dealer.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
This blue over tan example at the same dealer was more what I was thinking I would end up with (but in grey over black guts), but honestly, that red example is a lot more appealing color combo and optionwise;
The blue over tan is the right color, somehow Aston and Jags own this color.

Red is stunning but can work against it sometimes. Like a red dress. But women can get away with anything.

The blue is like a big athlete with a humble sport jacket that can go anywhere.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I actually have NOT driven both. I have only driven the Auto, which I will say I enjoyed and at the right price, I would bite. I'd be getting rid of my X100 for it, which is really an 8k car, and not factored in to my budget. I don't EVER buy a car expecting money from the car it replaces; and that logic has served me well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Aston-...awaq:rk:3:pf:0

Is it that the one? That's actually, REALLY reasonable. I'm budgeting 40-45k for acquisition and 5k for parts to repair because there's ALWAYS something. Hmm. That's a lot newer than I thought I could get too. You have both hamsters spinning their wheels flat out up in my head right now...
Yes, that is the one. One thing to keep in mind, if they are valved exhaust you can buy a remote that turns it on or off. Open valve on the automatic is really terrific. Don't miss a manual at all since installing it.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

Sucks being 1 inch away from Aston Martin status. Sometimes ya gotta just say eff it and do it if thats what you desire. No wishing.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:10 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

You guys in the Sates with your cheap Astons... it's a totally different story here in Australia.

Before I bought my 4.2L XKR I was looking long & hard at ticking that box, I really wanted an Aston, but in the end I made a sensible decision and got the XKR, and i'm still glad I did.

It would have been $40k AUD more (at the time $30k USD) to get into an 06/07 4.3L Vantage manual, than what i paid for my 09 XKR.
To get a 4.7L Vantage it would have at least $60K AUD ($45K USD) more, and that would have been an Auto/Sportshift, good luck finding any 4.7L manuals for sale here...

The 4.3L Vantage is slow, my XKR leaves them for dead. And short of throwing a supercharger on the 4.3L, they will never be as fast as the XKR

The first cars from 2006 had a terrible audio system in them, no bluetooth, no iPod/USB, no DAB+, reverse camera, TV, surround sound, all the gadgets I have in the XKR.
It got a bit better with the 4.7L which had some technology upgrades from the factory, but still nowhere near the tech as what's in the XKR now...

Most of the tinkering i've done in the XKR would not have been possible in a Vantage, even though I have the AML-WDS dealers diagnostic tool, and we figured out how to unlock the Car Configuration File editing, there is still very little that can be done in the way of upgrades...

Performance upgrades are hell-expensive. Parts are expensive. $5000 USD for a clutch!!!

They have the looks, and the badge, and the prestige, and when you push them through a corner, the sports car vs GT difference shows. But the XKR is so much more car for the money...

Stuart S (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

I agree wholeheartedly with all the Cambo stuff above..... but there is a difference, and that'd be that there IS NO XKR anymore! If there WAS (will be) a good Jaguar replacement for the X150, I'd MUCH rather get one of those and save half my money.
Sadly, as of now, no such luck. AND, by the state of Jaguar's finances right now, I don't foresee anything worth a crap coming any time soon.

That leaves the Vanquish, and possibly a DB, as the only viable alternative. Vantages are gross.

Quick Reply: Warms My Heart