XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Warranty is done....Time to tune!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mjsammon..
I live up the highway from you in Albany. I know my jaguar/range dealership wanted to take the supercharger off my xkr to do the pulley and charge me 900.00 dollars and not one tuner up here would touch my Eaton supercharger on the jag even though the audi and corvette tuners all have to deal with Eaton superchargers on a daily basis. Being as how I went with Eurocharged for my tune. They have a tuner shop that sells and deals with their products and tunes in NJ. The name is powerhaus performance. They seemed to have a kick *** operation down there. It's beyond child's play easy to flash your own car with the tuner tool that a jerry sends you or you can have powerhouse do it for you. They got my pulley off and the new one on is roughly an hour and thirty minutes. It came to like 180.00 in labor. I'll be bringing my car down there to install a pulley and insert the mid piece exhaust section I just bought shortly. **** maybe if we both go we can coax jerry to come up to jersey and tune the cars himself. If it's worth his while. He's been to do that from time to time

Old 03-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Old 03-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

Consider a Stage 3 Spires exhaust active or non-active like mine. It single handedly made my XKR more fun to drive then my XKRS!!!! Pops snaps and growls like no other... personally I say leave the engine bit alone and adjust the pipes

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (03-14-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm working on an air intake system for mine, i want to hear some supercharger whine. Exhaust is done other than high flow cats, pulley and tune were done as soon as I purchased it. I would like to have a new tune from Jags as soon as I'm done with all my mods though.

bklynchris (03-14-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SalsaCat83
Mjsammon..
I live up the highway from you in Albany. I know my jaguar/range dealership wanted to take the supercharger off my xkr to do the pulley and charge me 900.00 dollars and not one tuner up here would touch my Eaton supercharger on the jag even though the audi and corvette tuners all have to deal with Eaton superchargers on a daily basis. Being as how I went with Eurocharged for my tune. They have a tuner shop that sells and deals with their products and tunes in NJ. The name is powerhaus performance. They seemed to have a kick *** operation down there. It's beyond child's play easy to flash your own car with the tuner tool that a jerry sends you or you can have powerhouse do it for you. They got my pulley off and the new one on is roughly an hour and thirty minutes. It came to like 180.00 in labor. I'll be bringing my car down there to install a pulley and insert the mid piece exhaust section I just bought shortly. **** maybe if we both go we can coax jerry to come up to jersey and tune the cars himself. If it's worth his while. He's been to do that from time to time
SalsaCat83, thanks for the info. It looks like powerhaus does exhaust mods also which is on my list of things to get. Count me in if and only if this guy can guarantee the flash will stick. I've read on other threads where the ECU reverts to stock flash under certain conditions.

Mike

Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Changed the air filters, now the right MAF sensor failed

Hi Forum,
Starting the mods and I figured I'd go ahead and change the air filters since that's a 5 minute job..at least for a mechanic. I bought K&N high flow filters as I read somewhere on this forum that there isn't a very big difference between using K&N and BMI filters. Anyway, the drive home was fun and I believe she had a little extra "pep," at least my butt dyno thought so. I went out later that evening and the check engine light comes on and she's sputtering. When I accelerate slowly, she does a herky jerky thing in 2nd gear, but it smooths out after she shifts. Its not every time I take off, but approximately 50% of the time. My mechanic says its the MAF sensor that has failed. Did he possibly miss a step when replacing my air filters or is this something that commonly happens. Should I have reset the ECU? I'm getting the sensor replaced tomorrow and getting the exhaust done on Thursday. I should be getting her tuned and the pulley done on Monday of next week, but I'm concerned now that my check engine light is on.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:08 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

There should be no need to touch the MAF sensors (there are two, one on each side) when changing the air filters.

For me it's no coincidence that not long after fitting oiled air filters, you would might get a MAF fault. If the sensor/s have been fouled with oil it shouldn't be too much trouble to clean them. When I refresh a K&N filter I usually go back a day or two later and clean the MAFs with MAF-Cleaner, just to be sure...

What codes did your mechanic see to make him decide it is a MAF problem?

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
bklynchris (03-15-2016), kj07xk (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Hi Forum,
Starting the mods and I figured I'd go ahead and change the air filters since that's a 5 minute job..at least for a mechanic. I bought K&N high flow filters as I read somewhere on this forum that there isn't a very big difference between using K&N and BMI filters. Anyway, the drive home was fun and I believe she had a little extra "pep," at least my butt dyno thought so. I went out later that evening and the check engine light comes on and she's sputtering. When I accelerate slowly, she does a herky jerky thing in 2nd gear, but it smooths out after she shifts. Its not every time I take off, but approximately 50% of the time. My mechanic says its the MAF sensor that has failed. Did he possibly miss a step when replacing my air filters or is this something that commonly happens. Should I have reset the ECU? I'm getting the sensor replaced tomorrow and getting the exhaust done on Thursday. I should be getting her tuned and the pulley done on Monday of next week, but I'm concerned now that my check engine light is on.
Think about this , when you bought the car in for service did it run OK. If it did and all the mechanic did was change the filters and now the car doesn't run right then it's a no brainer. He did something that caused the problem you now have. Unless the K&N was soaked in oil it should not have caused a MIL. I've used K&N on various cars and never had a MAF issue. He needs to recheck his work before you get other mods done and compound the problem. If you start throwing parts at it now when he does the pulley and tries to do the tune you will run into more problems. Find and fix what is wrong now. I still find it hard to believe the MAF just went. To coincidental.

bklynchris (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I am highly against using K&N filters.
Here's why, because there is such a wide possibility of error. Too much oil and it will endup downstream- guarantee it. Too little oil and you are letting debris land on the maf sensor. Now here is the kicker- there is no set amount of oil that is supposed to be applied.

Not many folks know that all filters used to be oil soaked cotton like K&N- there is a reason folks got away from it and went to more expensive paper. And why you wont find it stock on any ultra engineered car like a Veyron.
Bottom line, why take the chance with inferior filtration that has really no gain.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
bklynchris (03-15-2016), kj07xk (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Also, one huge consideration for Jaguar owners. Which do you think gets dirty and clogged-up faster, something that is oil free or something that is as sticky as Ted Cruz's hair. The air filters on a Jaguar XK150 arent exactly easy to get to. To top it all we have a supercharger that will suck like a 510hp vacuum cleaner.

bklynchris (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Think about this , when you bought the car in for service did it run OK. If it did and all the mechanic did was change the filters and now the car doesn't run right then it's a no brainer. He did something that caused the problem you now have. Unless the K&N was soaked in oil it should not have caused a MIL. I've used K&N on various cars and never had a MAF issue. He needs to recheck his work before you get other mods done and compound the problem. If you start throwing parts at it now when he does the pulley and tries to do the tune you will run into more problems. Find and fix what is wrong now. I still find it hard to believe the MAF just went. To coincidental.
I agree. I think the mechanic did something to the MAF sensor that caused it to go bad and isnt owning up to it. Or it could be dirty. He did try to clean it with compressed air, not sure if that's the best way to clean it though.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Also, one huge consideration for Jaguar owners. Which do you think gets dirty and clogged-up faster, something that is oil free or something that is as sticky as Ted Cruz's hair. The air filters on a Jaguar XK150 arent exactly easy to get to. To top it all we have a supercharger that will suck like a 510hp vacuum cleaner.

I probably should have went with the BMI filters....Live and learn

Old 03-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I probably should have went with the BMI filters....Live and learn
You probably already know that you have 2 MAF sensors.

K&N has a guarantee, try to take it up with them. Lots of people have. I dont know the outcome. P.s. they have more complaints against them than Trump University. (where I got my doctorate, should have bought the one on ebay)

bklynchris (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Just checked out BMI filter- no!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I changed the MAF sensor and she's back to normal...I'm going to proceed with getting the exhaust done either Thursday or Friday, then decide on the tune after that....

Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 PM

I was just researching about your problem today. So I could possibly help you out.seems your answer was the most obvious one. Which exhaust did you go with btw? Did you choose a tuner for pulley and ecu remapping?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

You probably already know that you have 2 MAF sensors.

K&N has a guarantee, try to take it up with them. Lots of people have. I dont know the outcome. P.s. they have more complaints against them than Trump University. (where I got my doctorate, should have bought the one on ebay)

I wish I had checked in before I bought them but so far so good...if nothing happens, I'll probably swap them out at my next oil change or something.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Just checked out BMI filter- no!

why not and what filters are you using?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SalsaCat83
I was just researching about your problem today. So I could possibly help you out.seems your answer was the most obvious one. Which exhaust did you go with btw? Did you choose a tuner for pulley and ecu remapping?

Hey SalsaCat83, I went to my muffler guy, he did the exhaust on my Tahoe and my Jag STR, and showed him the pictures from the forum....that shows the XKR-S exhaust . He's going to install an X-pipe and run bigger pipes out of it back to the muffler. Basically going to mimic the pics. I figure I'll try that first, since its only a couple hundred bucks and if I dont like it or its not doing anything in terms of extra power, then my plan B was to do the Spires stage 3. I'll probably still go that route at some point if I know myself. As far as the tune, I'm going with jags at ETG. I was tempted to use Eurocharged, but I want them to do the install and its quite a hike to Houston. I was actually thinking about making that trip, but it wouldnt be a good time to take a week off. LA is only a few hours away. I have an app't to get the tune/pulley done on Monday...YAY!!!!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

I've had my K&N filters in my XKR for several years now, cleaned and oiled them twice so far but those were both really unnecessary as they were both pretty dang clean at the time. I've checked my MAFs also, and those are both still spotless.

bklynchris (03-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Warranty is done....Time to tune!!!