XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Warranty is done....Time to tune!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
why not and what filters are you using?
Mahle paper filter. highest quality filtration producer. Even on oil filters.
Good enough that its used in many supercars.

BMC is cotton garbage and frankly a scam. These are actually very inexpensive to manufacture. Fram used to make them under the HOG brand when they did they were $12bucks!

If cotton was a good filtration medium then you would not have to use oil. And its not just the presence of oil- its the lack of adequate filration and most important of all- oily things need to be cleaned every 90 days, you going to take the wheels off and wheel wells off every 90 days to get to the filter?

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Be a chess partner. Show me how this $16 filter is any different than the identical cotton filter selling for $100.
Amazon.com: FRAM PPA3916 Air Hog Panel Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: FRAM PPA3916 Air Hog Panel Filter: Automotive

The answer is that they have figured out its a disease with us. To psychologically believe in a $100 product that absolutely no technical car company in the world use. They are right, we probably would not buy a Buggati Veyron filter if it was $15bucks and contained no mystery oil.

bklynchris (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Be a chess partner. Show me how this $16 filter is any different than the identical cotton filter selling for $100.
Amazon.com: FRAM PPA3916 Air Hog Panel Filter: Automotive

The answer is that they have figured out its a disease with us. To psychologically believe in a $100 product that absolutely no technical car company in the world use. They are right, we probably would not buy a Buggati Veyron filter if it was $15bucks and contained no mystery oil.

LOL. you're probably right

Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

The scam is that they want you to think manufacturers are too cheap to use K&N. LOL.
When it comes to performance, does Jaguar use the cheapest components? Moreover K&N would be FREE for them to use, because K&N would give their right arm to get an endorsement form any manufacturer- they dont have any!! go figure.

bklynchris (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Since 20 years I am using K&N filters in

E 50 AMG, 1x Corvette C5, 4 x Corvette C6, 2xLand Rover Discovery4, an now in my XKR.

Never ever any problems.

bklynchris (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Jags from ECU Tuning Group flew out from CA to NY to do my car himself. You can call him and see when he is coming out to NY again. No charge for the travel and just $200 to install the pulley and tune.

bklynchris (03-20-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member

Got the X-pipe installed today....Car sounds great....more "European." With the K&N filters and X-pipe, it seems to be faster at lower RPM's, but slower at mid-range. They increased the pipe size from 2.25 in to 2.5 in from the cat's all the way back to the muffler. Do you guys think that will make any difference? Maybe its just me. I'll drive it a little more tomorrow at get a good assessment.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Got the X-pipe installed today....Car sounds great....more "European." With the K&N filters and X-pipe, it seems to be faster at lower RPM's, but slower at mid-range. They increased the pipe size from 2.25 in to 2.5 in from the cat's all the way back to the muffler. Do you guys think that will make any difference? Maybe its just me. I'll drive it a little more tomorrow at get a good assessment.
Increasing the diameter of the exhaust is bad. These are not engineers nor do they have the facilities to test their theories, you need way more than a dyno.

Imagine trying to blow through a 2inch straw, you wont get any velocity right. Now try blowing through a 1/4inch straw, you could shoot a pea across the room. This velocity and back pressure is important for an engine, the air flowing through it at a high velocity creates a vacuum behind itself, so it helps scavenge air from the next cylinder that is trying to expel air. i.e you gain HP by having the perfectly balanced exhaust. Several shadetree engineers remove the entire exhaust system only to find they lost power big time.

Besides putting a larger pipe behind a smaller pipe does f all to increase airflow. However it will help sound get deeper, is that what they were aiming for?

bklynchris (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Increasing the diameter of the exhaust is bad. These are not engineers nor do they have the facilities to test their theories, you need way more than a dyno.

Imagine trying to blow through a 2inch straw, you wont get any velocity right. Now try blowing through a 1/4inch straw, you could shoot a pea across the room. This velocity and back pressure is important for an engine, the air flowing through it at a high velocity creates a vacuum behind itself, so it helps scavenge air from the next cylinder that is trying to expel air. i.e you gain HP by having the perfectly balanced exhaust. Several shadetree engineers remove the entire exhaust system only to find they lost power big time.

Besides putting a larger pipe behind a smaller pipe does f all to increase airflow. However it will help sound get deeper, is that what they were aiming for?

No, we were aiming fir a little more power. I'll get it changed back next week. I'll keep the x-pipe, but but the 2.25 in pipes back in....thx

Old 03-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Queen and Country,
I'm scheduled to get the tune a pulley done on Monday. Do you think I can still proceed with that and just get the pipes done when I get back or should I hold off until afterwards?

Old 03-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Its will have no impact on the tune. May or may not decrease power. My point was it WONT increase power.

bklynchris (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So in your opinion queen and country. The xkr-s gets its extra 40 horsepower over the xkr strictly on map alone and not any difference in exhaust setup?

Old 03-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Its will have no impact on the tune. May or may not decrease power. My point was it WONT increase power.
You're wrong there.

The factory fitted XKR-S center exhaust with x-pipe and straight pipes is a big part of the power difference between an XKR and an XKR-S.

The XKR-S tune works in conjunction with the exhaust. Putting the factory XKR-S tune into an XKR without changing the exhaust doesn't work. Been there, done that.

To get the most out of an aftermarket tune with pulley the same will apply. It will make a difference.

bklynchris (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was certainly under that impression Cambo however did not have the comfort level to challenge it. Being as how I do not have real world experience. Only theory based on research and basic car knowledge. I do understand where he is coming from when you get diminishing results going too far in either direction.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
You're wrong there.

The factory fitted XKR-S center exhaust with x-pipe and straight pipes is a big part of the power difference between an XKR and an XKR-S.

The XKR-S tune works in conjunction with the exhaust. Putting the factory XKR-S tune into an XKR without changing the exhaust doesn't work. Been there, done that.

To get the most out of an aftermarket tune with pulley the same will apply. It will make a difference.

Hi Cambo,
I'm not quite sure I follow you. What I did was, I had my muffler guy remove the resonator and install a X-pipe. I also told him to use bigger pipes thinking that might gibe me better exhaust flow. So he used 2.5 in pipes instead of the 2.25 in pipes that were stock. So, that said, was that a bad thing to do with increasing the pipe diameter? Should I go back to the stock 2.25 in pipes and just leave the X-pipe in? Will this affect my tune in any way? Like I said, I should have checked with the forum first...it was spur of the moment.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

A twin 2-1/4" exhaust system flows more than enough for 600hp.

The factory XKR-S center exhaust is twin 2-1/4" straight through pipes with the x-pipe crossover, then to the rear muffler which is also 2-1/4" tubed. It's pretty much the ideal setup on these cars.

Twin 2-1/2" is probably a bit of overkill, but it's not the end of the world.

bklynchris (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

A twin 2-1/4" exhaust system flows more than enough for 600hp.

The factory XKR-S center exhaust is twin 2-1/4" straight through pipes with the x-pipe crossover, then to the rear muffler which is also 2-1/4" tubed. It's pretty much the ideal setup on these cars.

Twin 2-1/2" is probably a bit of overkill, but it's not the end of the world.
Ok, thx....I think I'll go ahead and get the tune on Monday, since its already scheduled, then have my muffler guy put my 2-1/4" pipes back on Tuesday, when I return.....Thx for the feedback!

Old 03-20-2016, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SalsaCat83
So in your opinion queen and country. The xkr-s gets its extra 40 horsepower over the xkr strictly on map alone and not any difference in exhaust setup?
Our comrade asked if he would increase power by going to a larger pipe. The answer is absolutely no. You will lose power if you lose backpressure.

I did not say that exhaust mods dont work- they absolutely do, but going to a larger pipe is going in the opposite direction. if you have better flowing mufflers etc than the engine was made for, than you have removed backpressure. The last thing you want to do is remove more by having larger pipes. Engine need a certain amount of backpressure.

bklynchris (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member

You're wrong there.

I live in the northern hemisphere. You just did not read what question I was answering- you answered the same thing - dont make your pipes bigger. However I added much needed info that increasing the size of the pipe can make you lose horsepower, especially on your car.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

Our comrade asked if he would increase power by going to a larger pipe. The answer is absolutely no. You will lose power if you lose backpressure.

I did not say that exhaust mods dont work- they absolutely do, but going to a larger pipe is going in the opposite direction. if you have better flowing mufflers etc than the engine was made for, than you have removed backpressure. The last thing you want to do is remove more by having larger pipes. Engine need a certain amount of backpressure.

Hi Queen and Country,

So I plan on getting the tune/pulley done on Monday as planned, then getting the 2.25 in pipes put back on...on Tuesday...Do you agree that I should be ok doing it that way? I'm going to drive to LA which is approximately 400 miles in 1 direction, so for the whole trip, I could put 900 miles + on the car still with the larger (2.5in) pipes installed.

Quick Reply: Warranty is done....Time to tune!!!