XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Washer pumps not working on my XKR

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 08:53 AM
Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Washer pumps not working on my XKR

Hey everyone,

After troubleshooting this myself and then again by a local Jag shop, I went ahead and purchased a new washer pump motor for the windshield (the headlight washer pump WAS working at the time). I then replaced the pump and now neither of the pumps work. I checked the fuses as per the manual and they are intact.

Any suggestions before I head back to my mechanic??

Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts

The headlight washer pump doesn't come on every time you squirt the windshield. I don't know the exact parameters. Maybe the headlights have to be on? I'm not sure.

Do you have a multimeter? I think you need to check the voltage at the washer pump connector. If you don't have voltage there, I'd check the fuse with the meter. Fuses can look good even though they aren't. If you DO have voltage at the pump connector, maybe you just got a bad pump.

In the stickies at the top of this forum you'll find the electrical guide. Open it up in Acrobat reader and search for "washer". I got 10 hits. It looks like a pretty simple system, so it should be easy to figure out.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Default Washer pump

Thanks. I think my multimeter isn’t working! That could be an issue for sure. I got the headlight washers working. It’s a weird 1/6 activation thing.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,467 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Read the manual????

Old 07-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts

Cee Jay, some people buy used cars and the manual is missing. Or they are posting from work and the manual is in their car, in their garage, at their house 20 miles away.

I've been on other forums (saabcentral.com) where the members were absolute jerks to people who joined and asked questions. The regular members would belittle anyone who asked a question with comments like "read the damn manual, we're not your babysitter", "Did you try using the search function?", and "This question has been answered already!"

That was really weird to me. I went from jaguarforums to saabcentral (and other forums) and the members on those forums were ******** and typical internet trolls. I rarely posted on those forums, and if I did, I made sure I did my research first. Every one of those forums was slow and dull, with not many posts per day. I only used them when I had to because I wasn't going to subject myself to the abuse.

Jungocat only has 13 posts in a year of membership. I hope that's not because when he first joined to ask a question someone told him to read the manual.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Cee Jay, some people buy used cars and the manual is missing. Or they are posting from work and the manual is in their car, in their garage, at their house 20 miles away.

I've been on other forums (saabcentral.com) where the members were absolute jerks to people who joined and asked questions. The regular members would belittle anyone who asked a question with comments like "read the damn manual, we're not your babysitter", "Did you try using the search function?", and "This question has been answered already!"

That was really weird to me. I went from jaguarforums to saabcentral (and other forums) and the members on those forums were ******** and typical internet trolls. I rarely posted on those forums, and if I did, I made sure I did my research first. Every one of those forums was slow and dull, with not many posts per day. I only used them when I had to because I wasn't going to subject myself to the abuse.

Jungocat only has 13 posts in a year of membership. I hope that's not because when he first joined to ask a question someone told him to read the manual.
Thanks Reverend How did you know I was detached from my manual? I did know the silly sequence of the headlight washers.....and the 10 min gap between usage - that makes sense......to a Jag engineer maybe. I solved it - poor connection.

The issue still remains with the regular (now replaced) washer pump. I have a few more tricks to try today - and when I post the solution, whether I look like a dope or not is still TBD

Old 07-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by Jungocat
I checked the fuses as per the manual and they are intact.
I'm also not a fan of sarcasm unless it's in fun. Cee Jay tends to lead the pack in that regard with his love of all things Apple and Michelin and I'm sure he's self aware, however, you indicated you had the manual in your above quote. The specific page with the relevant info was therefore referenced by him. Everyone has their style. Getting/giving help is ultimately what's important. Nuff said I hope.

Regarding looking like a dope once you solve, not to worry. I lead the pack in that regard and curious to see how you solve it.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:06 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks Reverend How did you know I was detached from my manual? I did know the silly sequence of the headlight washers.....and the 10 min gap between usage - that makes sense......to a Jag engineer maybe. I solved it - poor connection.

The issue still remains with the regular (now replaced) washer pump. I have a few more tricks to try today - and when I post the solution, whether I look like a dope or not is still TBD
What sequence do you speak of? I read the manual and still can't figure out the headlight washers....lol

Old 02-19-2022, 08:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey everyone,

After troubleshooting this myself and then again by a local Jag shop, I went ahead and purchased a new washer pump motor for the windshield (the headlight washer pump WAS working at the time). I then replaced the pump and now neither of the pumps work. I checked the fuses as per the manual and they are intact.

Any suggestions before I head back to my mechanic??

hi jungocat,

unrelated to the correction however relation to parts:

i am wanting to know where you had ordered your part for the washer pump, mine seems to just drizzle out like small toddler drawling on to my windshield.

any help would be great.

thanks

Old 02-19-2022, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,354 Likes on 3,482 Posts

fezco999,
You're in Scotland and Jungocat is in Canada. Why pay shipping from Canada?

One of this Forum's sponsors is SNG Barratt, a parts vendor headquartered in the UK. I suggest that you call them, and ask if there's discount for a Forum member.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk/home

Good luck!

Stuart

Old 02-19-2022, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,354 Likes on 3,482 Posts

Before buying a new pump, make sure that there's no blockage in the line from the pump to the windshield.

The following users liked this post:
V7Sport (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 09:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by fezco999
..... washer pump, mine seems to just drizzle out like small toddler drawling on to my windshield. .....
Welcome to the forums fezco999,

The windscreen and headlamp washer pumps usually either work or fail - they generally don't slow down. I'd take the wheelarch liner off, disconnect the outlet pipe (arrowed in red) and check pump delivery before buying a new one.

As Stuart suggests, it could be a blockage in the line.

Graham

Old 02-19-2022, 10:16 AM

thank you both Stuart and GGG for the assistance,

i will keep you updated on outcome.

fezco999

The following 2 users liked this post by fezco999:
GGG (02-19-2022), Stuart S (02-20-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fezco999
thank you both Stuart and GGG for the assistance,

i will keep you updated on outcome.

fezco999

Hi Fezco,

what was the solution please?

I have the same issue.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:27 AM

HI SJPALM,

the issue was resolved by cleaning out the pipes and replacing the motor, (i replaced the motor to be on the safe side, was not needed to be replaced) .

very annoying to get to as you need to remove a few things to gain access. but a proper mechanic can do this.

Regards