XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Water dripping from under the glove box:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,042 Likes on 1,368 Posts

The duckbill faces toward the front of the car. Just sliced mine off totally on Friday night, will post an update tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

well...I slit the throat of the duckbill and had all the water drain out. I just drove 50 miles with the a/c blasting and the inside is bone dry!!! I did not get the duckbill sliced off entirely but did cut it up enough to seemingly do the job. I think I will get in the routine of blowing it out weekly just for good measure.

for the moment...I am a happy xk owner again! this thread was very helpful so please accept my thanks all!!

Last edited by ferraripete; 08-28-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ferraripete
well...I slit the throat of the duckbill and had all the water drain out. I just drove 50 miles with the a/c blasting and the inside is bone dry!!! I did not get the duckbill sliced off entirely but did cut it up enough to seemingly do the job. I think I will get in the routine of blowing it out weekly just for good measure.

for the moment...I am a happy xk owner again! this thread was very helpful so please accept my thanks all!!
Congratulations!
I was going to have you PM me your address so I could send you my modified tool (made the part with the blade about a 1/2 inch longer), but you've already done the deed!

The following users liked this post:
ferraripete (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraripete
well, my simply immaculate 2007 xk has had its first issue. only 14k miles on the clock and the glove compartment has sprung an apparent leak. clearly it is an issue related to the a/c condenser...but the condensate came out like a cup of water was dumped. fortunately I had the weatherech mats so the carpet was not harmed.

what am I looking at here folks? is this a dealer only repair or are there better options? have any of you had similar issues? is this fixable or a quirk I must live with as a condition of the car being so pretty? thank you all for any help.
Hi Ferraripete. I've read most of the posts to your thread. Unfortunately, this problem is far from uncommon and persists to the later model XKs which supposely had a revised duckbill to the a/c which apparently didn't help. I hope yours works but I can honestly say if I had known about this issue before purchasing my car 2 years ago, I might have passed. Luckily for me after 8,000 miles on my odometer.... no issues yet but I am always apprehensive as I am for the water pump/cross pipe overheating issue. These 2 items alone are enough to deter a potential buyer from undertaking such an expensive investment(at my time it was over $40,000). I do have a warranty for another 4 years and if I still own my XK which I love, I will probably relinquish my ownership for something else. Yes, Our cars are beautiful and quite exotic for the price, but if the A/C drip or the dashboard shirnkage issues show their ugly head, for me it's time to abandon ship. Just that at my age, I want to enjoy my cars with minimum aggravation and fixing. Beautiful and fun cars? Yes. Potential expensive issues as they age??? Yes.. Potential buyers? Do your research. and make your choice.

ferraripete (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Hi Ferraripete. I've read most of the posts to your thread. Unfortunately, this problem is far from uncommon and persists to the later model XKs which supposely had a revised duckbill to the a/c which apparently didn't help. I hope yours works but I can honestly say if I had known about this issue before purchasing my car 2 years ago, I might have passed. Luckily for me after 8,000 miles on my odometer.... no issues yet but I am always apprehensive as I am for the water pump/cross pipe overheating issue. These 2 items alone are enough to deter a potential buyer from undertaking such an expensive investment(at my time it was over $40,000). I do have a warranty for another 4 years and if I still own my XK which I love, I will probably relinquish my ownership for something else. Yes, Our cars are beautiful and quite exotic for the price, but if the A/C drip or the dashboard shirnkage issues show their ugly head, for me it's time to abandon ship. Just that at my age, I want to enjoy my cars with minimum aggravation and fixing. Beautiful and fun cars? Yes. Potential expensive issues as they age??? Yes.. Potential buyers? Do your research. and make your choice.

I fully understand how you feel and I must say that as I get older, the cars in my garage are more and more for looking at than they are for driving. finding less time to enjoy them and take care of them. still a car guy to the end but I am at a point that I am less willing to accept the risk of damage and big dollar maintenance. most cars these days are so good and trouble free. the jag is very pretty and pretty reliable...I find myself enjoying it more than my other cars. I am glad the fixes seem easily managed with the help of internet owners groups like this one.

thanks again.

pcb

Old 08-28-2016, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Congratulations!
I was going to have you PM me your address so I could send you my modified tool (made the part with the blade about a 1/2 inch longer), but you've already done the deed!

it was a seriously nice gesture. I really thank you for the help and encouragement!!

I went for coffee in Coronado today and found myself admiring the puddle of water under my car as I enjoyed my latte)))

best,

Peter

Old 08-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Default Cut the lips off my duck!

I've updated the following thread with pictures of my success at finally cutting off my duckbill:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1525368

And here's the proof:

My severed duckbill.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:09 AM

!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:09 AM

the radiance xk is once again radiant!!!!!

kj07xk (08-29-2016)