XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Water pump replacement, parts needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 04:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Water pump replacement, parts needed

Hi

I have 2012 XKR-S (S/C 5.0L). Took it to the dealer for an annual inspection and they found traces of coolant (dry spots) bellow the water pump. Nothing was wet and my level is OK but they suggested water pump replacement. I am considering doing the job myself, but I wonder about the parts needed for the job.

Dealer quoted the following parts:
1. Water pump AJ813909
2. O-ring AJ811539
3. Some tube C2Z18658

Do I need anything else? I've read here that some hoses have changed as well, but dealer did not suggest replacing them and looking at the parts database I cannot figure it out. I've tried searching by part numbers mentioned in different threads here, but they come up as not a fit for 2012 XKR-S

Also, how difficult is the job (in hours)? I have the manual and I've done water pumps on other cars before, but not on the Jag. BWT, car has only 16K miles on it.

Thanks,

Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
Hi

I have 2012 XKR-S (S/C 5.0L). Took it to the dealer for an annual inspection and they found traces of coolant (dry spots) bellow the water pump. Nothing was wet and my level is OK but they suggested water pump replacement. I am considering doing the job myself, but I wonder about the parts needed for the job.

1. Water pump AJ813909
2. O-ring AJ811539
3. Some tube C2Z18658

Do I need anything else? I've read here that some hoses have changed as well, but dealer did not suggest replacing them and looking at the parts database I cannot figure it out. I've tried searching by part numbers mentioned in different threads here, but they come up as not a fit for 2012 XKR-S

Also, how difficult is the job (in hours)? I have the manual and I've done water pumps on other cars before, but not on the Jag. BWT, car has only 16K miles on it.

Thanks,
Water pumps are no joking matter on these cars. I find it unacceptable to have this issue with only 16k miles on the vehicle. Makes me think twice about selling mine for a 5.0 s/c model. Best of luck with the repairs.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Hi

1. Water pump AJ813909
2. O-ring AJ811539
3. Some tube C2Z18658

Thanks,
I have found on other cars I've had that if they are not driven much the WP seal has a tendency to dry out and will weep out AF when cold. The normal sign is what the dealer is saying they found with dry AF under the weep hole. This usually seals when the engine warms up but eventually will fail. Also this failure is not catastrophic and you will lose coolant over a period of time. So if this is a sunday driver I would just watch the coolant level each time you take it out and top off if necessary . At 16K miles you have a lot of time to get it fixed as the car isn't used. By the way my old Ferrari required a water pump replacement every 15K miles. With only 16K miles it seems you can take your time replacing it as it is not driven much.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting thought, but I would think the seal would be wet all the time since there is always coolant there. I'll get under the car and clean up the dried coolant. Let's see if it comes back.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:31 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Water Pump Replacement

Hi

1. Water pump AJ813909
2. O-ring AJ811539
3. Some tube C2Z18658

Thanks,
The overall design has changed from what you'll see in the manual, so if the thin hard black plastic tube from the "Y" to the throttle body cracks, you'll be replacing the heater outlet tube with the new "Y" and the coolant down tube to the thermostat as well... For your specific questions: You'll need the water pump, its 2 metal gaskets, 2 of the O rings AJ811539 - one for the back of the water pump to the Outlet tube C2Z18658 and one for the back side of the Outlet tube. Overall for the first time doing this job, taking my time, I did it in 5 hours in my modest home garage and I have large hands. PM me if you want to discuss in more detail and tips.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-07-2019)