XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Waterless wash, who does it? what do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default DataVac Electric Duster

You're right ... the MetroVac is the full-size unit that sells for $450-$500. The DataVac, made by the same company (I think), is the very powerful hand-held unit that sells for $59. For my purposes, the DataVac does everything I want or need it to do. But I'd still love to have one like yours!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

My point of view, ......
My three classics, (67 E Type, 64.5 Mustang CVT, and '08 XK-R Portfolio) almost never see rain and are garaged 100%. When they do see the sunshine, I hose them off and micro towel them with help from compressed air for the bitty cracks.
I may be a deemed a heretic in my process, but, I really I don't see a deterioration in the cosmetics of my stuff" to the point when I choose to sell anyone of three, is going to deter any given buyer.
I maintain them, I love them, but, not to the point, I'm consumed by them.......
This goes for my 8 vintage 2 wheelers, as well. ......

Old 09-30-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
I too use the DataVac Electric Duster. Target sells them for $59. See link below -

to dust the car's interior, dry motorcycles, dust computer keyboards, lampshades, blinds, etc.
I guess I am a bit old school, I don't like to dust by blowing as it simply moves around. I have my full size shop vac in the garage and with my brush attachment gently run it over vents and crevices to vacuum out any dust or debris. With my shop vac I would guess that I am moving just as much air over the surface just in the opposite direction!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

yep. It's all about what result you are satisfied with and how much effort you want to put in. I like the water wash and detail spray for touch up method. I try to avoid making swirls if I can but I don't go crazy with it. My main cars are white, silver and gray and only the gray shows marks so I have it pretty easy. My D/A polisher and some Meguiars 205 takes care of any issues in a jiffy. Just sold a Black car, now that took a little more effort

And call me nuts but I actually enjoy waxing. Gives me a chance to get a good look at the entire car surface and makes me smile when I make it look so damn awesome

Old 09-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by AVMiii
Richard, are you still using the Opticoat product? I had 2 or my cars treated with the professional version over 3 years ago. The jag, which is in the garage more than not still looks great. Water still beads up after a wash, nice sheen. My daily driver still looks OK, but I can see after a wash that the water is a bit splotchy. The detailed finishes of each car before application were not comparable, ie. the daily driver had remaining swirls and some scratches, but I still think that the product is worth using. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to waxing cars, and I don't think that I need to after having opticoat applied. I'd agree with your assessment that about 3 years of normal exposure is the limit, however the coddled jag is still good.

Oh, and I noticed that after my first "foam-canon" wash (chemical guys detergent--not sure which exact one) and water rinse that there is still some dirt, hence the second one and using a microfiber mitt. The super blow dryer that you use would be a great addition to my procedure, but for now it's just a good microfiber drying cloth.
AVMiii:

I have switched to Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Paint Coating for all of my vehicles.

I will be detailing my Jaguar XKR once again within the next few weeks as I have passed the 3-year mark with the Opti-Coat. Since the XKR is garaged and covered, the Opti-Coat, the shine, and reflective qualities remain outstanding.

I will nano skin the XKR using the new Eagle Prep Wash Mitt. This replaces the old school "clay bar". I will prep polish with a DA Buffer, and then apply the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating. I used this product on my Porsche 981 and Corvette C7.

The wash soap I use now is Duragloss 901 in a foam sprayer.

Here are few links to what I use. With these products, you can detail about 5 to 8 cars. The Eagle glove if maintained will last quite a long time. I am always seeking new detailing products and methods.

For washing:

https://www.amazon.com/Duragloss-901...=duragloss+902

For removing contaminants from the paint surface:

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-850...prep+wash+mitt

For Polishing before applying ceramic paint coating:

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirr...s=meguiars+205

Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating:

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Waffle weave towels for drying:

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...e+weave+towels

These are all the products anyone needs to achieve superior results and a superior finish to any vehicle. Proper paint prep is the key to the application of the ceramic coatings. Once the coating is applied, future maintenance of the car is extremely quick and simple.

My DA Buffer that I use (I have had this for about 6 years):

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-MT30...iars+da+buffer

Time to complete this detail work is about 5 to 6 hours as a single person. Get the wife to assist and it will cut the time. This makes for a great weekend project and results are superior hydrophobic water beading, superior shine, and reflective qualities. This will last 3 years under normal conditons. Of course keeping your XK/XKR out in the environment instead of parked in a garage will cut the durability of the coating down in time.

What would cost over $1000 in a detail shop, can be done for about $100 to $125.00 with lots of product remaining for other vehicle applications.

Happy detailing Jaguar XK/XKR owners.

The following users liked this post:
AVMiii (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

These microfiber towels are awesome:
Super Plush 16 x 16 Eagle Edgeless Microfiber Towel | The Rag Company

Thick, soft and edgeless. I have a few that I use to remove wax with.

They have waffle weaves too. I like those as well to dry.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I use my Metrovac "Air Force Master Blaster" 4HP on a 15 amp circuit without any problems. The more powerful 8HP should be used with the higher amp circuit or else you may be subject to tripping the GFI breakers.

My unit is the more powerful with two 4hp motors for 8hp peak.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:59 PM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts

mosesbotbol ... what's the best 0-60 you've had on that thing?

Old 09-30-2016, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snide72
mosesbotbol ... what's the best 0-60 you've had on that thing?
For the dryer? 0 to the basement to flip a circuit a couple of times. Now I have direct 20 amp outlets in the garage!

Old 09-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
My unit is the more powerful with two 4hp motors for 8hp peak.
Moses:

That is why these are called Air Force Master Blasters.

I know my 4HP blaster blows hard, but can't imagine an 8HP. That's a lot of forced air.

They are great machines, and no one can realize how good these work until they have owned one.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Moses:

That is why these are called Air Force Master Blasters.

I know my 4HP blaster blows hard, but can't imagine an 8HP. That's a lot of forced air.

They are great machines, and no one can realize how good these work until they have owned one.
The 8hp is crazy. Good to blow any dirt out of the garage too.. They are real machines. Hose nearly blew out of my friend's hands last week when he first tried it.