XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Waypoints on sat nav. get there, then what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 12:10 PM
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Waypoints on sat nav. get there, then what?

I know the sat nav system is clunky in action and runs out of date data, but it'll do me.

BUT, can anyone answer this one?

For the first time I actually defined a waypoint, the centre of a town to make it take the route I wanted. When we got there, I went round the bypass, and tried to tell it to go on to the next waypoint. NO WAY! It needed me to turn around and pass through the actual waypoint before it would head for the next waypoint. How do you tell it to now head for the next waypoint, or the destination even?

Been right through the manual, and it hardly mentions waypoints, or what to do when you get there.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:01 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I'm not a great user of SatNav but my understanding of setting a waypoint is as a stopping point on the route. To determine the actual non-stop route from a number of options, the function to use is Route Prefs.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Cee Jay (04-21-2021), guy (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 05:50 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

take a nautical nav course
Truly though, be sure to clear the WP when its no longer needed for the trip.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:08 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by guy
take a nautical nav course ......
If he turns any direction but North, he'll need it.

Graham

The following 6 users liked this post by GGG:
guy (04-22-2021), jons (04-29-2021), kj07xk (01-12-2024), MarkyUK (05-01-2021), Sean W (04-26-2021), V7Sport (04-29-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-22-2021, 11:05 AM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Not sure that what you are looking for is possible. I don't believe there is a way to skip the current waypoint. Easiest is probably to just cancel out and start a new destination from the previous destinations screen. Not a big deal if you just had the one waypoint, but I can see this as a major pain if there were several waypoints. Older technology will always have some shortcomings.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (05-01-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:28 PM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

When arriving at said waypoint, why not hoist a pint and be happy?

guy (04-28-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:41 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaunty
How do you tell it to now head for the next waypoint, or the destination even?
I don't use the GPS/SatNav system that came in the XK for just the reason you mention - it's clunky. Instead, I have a Garmin unit mounted in the car that allows me to construct routes on my Windows computer using a Garmin-bespoke application called BaseCamp and upload them to the unit. That's much easier than sitting in the car tapping out a route on a touch-screen.

I also don't have an answer to your question, but I can tell you that all GPS devices I've ever used have the same issue - if you set a waypoint in a route and don't go through the waypoint exactly, the navigation software will require you to go back and "collect" the waypoint before allowing you to move on. Many GPS devices have a "skip" function to remedy this problem - my current Garmin unit shows a pop-up screen that asks you if you want to skip the waypoint you just missed. That function allows the route to continue smoothly to the next waypoint you've set (or the destination if there is no further waypoint). I guess from others' responses that the XK navigation unit does not have such a function but, if I were relying on the XK unit for navigation, I would do a thorough search through the nav menus and settings to see if there is. Otherwise, the workaround seems too laborious.

If you can't find a way to skip the waypoints you miss, consider buying a Garmin GPS and using BaseCamp to create routes. It will make your life easier.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bill Mack; 04-29-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:19 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Interesting you brought up Garmin. I do agree that the modern gps services are fantastic. Let me add if you have the watch (like a Marq or the Fenix) the map and route details will also be in sync on the watch. And editable.

But to be fair, my car is an 07. My watch and electronics on the boat are 2019. We are comparing apples and oranges.
And as I’m about the journey, the built in nav in the car still suits me fine.

Also, I know many of you don’t mind, but I HATE doodads obscuring my view out the windshield. Gizmos stuck on the dash or windows don’t suit me at all.
And something Jaguar/LR got right and many others did not; the integration of the display screen into the dashboard as opposed to just taking a tablet and sticking it on, somewhere. (coincidentally, BMW, Mercedes, Mazda and Kia do this, lol) ... it looks unfinished to me.

cheers all!

Last edited by guy; 04-30-2021 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by guy
Also, I know many of you don’t mind, but I HATE doodads obscuring my view out the windshield. Gizmos stuck on the dash or windows don’t suit me at all.
I don't like the effect either, but on balance the ability to build routes on the computer that lead me to new and interesting roads outweighs the negatives, at least to me.

And, if you want to just follow your nose to find new roads, the Garmin can keep track of where you've been so that you can find any new gems later.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:07 AM
Received 284 Likes on 104 Posts

When this topic came up, I wanted to know also. But answers are not relevant, recommending other GPS despite that's not wanted, "just sit and have a pint", don't drive into the ocean. I think this forum would improve if we just tried to answer the question... Sorry
Jaunty, next time I get the chance to drive my Jag I'll make a waypoint route, and see if anything comes up :-)

The following 3 users liked this post by No Quarter:
carealtor (05-01-2021), GGG (05-01-2021), peterv8 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 05:39 AM

Trying to answer the OP's question is of course the right thing to do, and your offer to seek a solution is as well. I am sure the OP will appreciate your offer.

Judging the value and relevance of posts in the thread is the job of the moderators. Perhaps you should consider applying to become one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mack:
GGG (05-01-2021), tampamark (05-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 06:27 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by No Quarter
When this topic came up, I wanted to know also. But answers are not relevant, recommending other GPS despite that's not wanted, "just sit and have a pint", don't drive into the ocean. I think this forum would improve if we just tried to answer the question... Sorry .....
Our forums are a place to ask questions and exchange information about Jaguars. In this instance specifically regarding the X150 model. One of the strengths is we attract an International following which brings a lot of experience together from all around the World. A benefit is that when a question is posted, someone, somewhere will be online regardless of the local time of day or night. A potential problem is that we all have differing cultural backgounds. For example, what is amusing in one country can be offensive in another. Similarly what is relevant to one member may be time-wasting to another.

We aren't in a school or a lecture theatre so I don't expect every post to be precisely and exclusively factual. Most of us are here following one of our hobbies or interests and the light-hearted posts in a thread can often be a welcome diversion from a difficult problem. You can easily skip past them if they aren't of any interest.

Keeping "on topic" is always a difficult balance. I accept your point about recommending other GPS diverging from the OP's question but here I think it is still relevant. Jaguar have never been in the lead or often even up-to-date with technology. The SatNav was OK when the vehicle was introduced but, as the years pass it becomes less acceptable as technology advances so introducing alternatives into the discussion could give other members something to think about.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
ralphwg (05-02-2021), Stuart S (05-04-2021), tampamark (05-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 08:41 AM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

When this topic came up, I wanted to know also. But answers are not relevant, recommending other GPS despite that's not wanted, "just sit and have a pint", don't drive into the ocean. I think this forum would improve if we just tried to answer the question... Sorry
Jaunty, next time I get the chance to drive my Jag I'll make a waypoint route, and see if anything comes up :-)
If you are offended by attempts to inject some humor into posts, I suggest you simply ignore them.
Please censor yourself, not others. It's the Moderators job to decide what is appropriate.

The following 3 users liked this post by Scott in PA:
Bill Mack (05-01-2021), tampamark (05-01-2021), Tracee (05-01-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I have never used waypoints in the Jag, but in every nav system I have ever used it seems that you have to hit the point before it registers the next. One of the reasons I never use them, if anything I program in several destinations at my leisure and then pull them up during the drive in the "recent destination" category instead.

If this forum didn't have cheeky replies to posts we would be pretty dead on this low member section. Trying to make it "all business" would make it too dry!!!

The following 7 users liked this post by tampamark:
Bill Mack (05-01-2021), guy (05-02-2021), kj07xk (05-01-2021), MarkyUK (05-01-2021), ralphwg (05-02-2021), Scott in PA (05-01-2021), Tracee (05-01-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2021, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scott in PA
If you are offended by attempts to inject some humor into posts, I suggest you simply ignore them.
Please censor yourself, not others. It's the Moderators job to decide what is appropriate.
No problem with humour, try to add some myself from time to time, with varied success. But when OP clearly states that he wants to use OEM GPS, warts and all, there's no need to recommend other GPS systems. In another thread someone asks at what temperature the engine is too hot, and one answer is "I don't know, I've never overheated". Duh.

I'll shut up now, and just ignore the noise :-)

peterv8 (05-02-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:49 AM

Jaunty, haven't had a chance to drive and test. And the manual shows nothing. The only thing I found so far googling is that there's a voice command "Navigation Clear Next Waypoint", but I don't know if your XK allows voice commands or if any of the X150s do? My 2007 don't I think (Please state what model and year you have in the Signature)

When I get driving again, I'll see if I can guess this apparently secret feature, how it works :-)

Old 05-03-2021, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

but I don't know if your XK allows voice commands or if any of the X150s do? My 2007 don't I think (Please state what model and year you have in the Signature)
My '10 XKR is a Japanese import and I was surprised to find that it had voice control. Cambo has since worked out how to enable it on cars that don't already have it.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:32 AM

My '10 XKR is a Japanese import and I was surprised to find that it had voice control. Cambo has since worked out how to enable it on cars that don't already have it.
Sorry, haven't learnt how to "Quote" properly yet.

Is it possible to add voice control to my 2008 XK, I wonder? My Discovery of the same date (and equipment?) had it.

Thank you for all your answers, Interesting and mostly informative, but no solution yet, so keep them coming please.

I have no problem with humour, but of course we all find different things funny, don't we?

Cheers
Jaunty

Old 05-03-2021, 05:47 AM

I was asked to add a Signature, so I have tried.

This message is just to see if I have succeeded.

ralphwg (05-08-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:09 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Yes, my '07 does have voice. But will you be able to source the module?? Does anyone know the module number? I can't seem to find that. My bill of sale just states 'Jaguar Voice'.

Quick Reply: Waypoints on sat nav. get there, then what?