XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Well cared for xk or wait on an xkr??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well cared for xk or wait on an xkr??

Hey all, I'm new to the jaguar world. I've always loved the look but was never an owner. I recently sold my last toy/3rd car and I'm on the hunt for a replacement.

I've come across a very well cared for 07 xk , silver, coupe 60k miles. I haven't taken it for a ride yet as I'm afraid I'll be talked into it as its very reasonably priced now and I'm sure I can get it down some more. I'm not sure i need an xkr but I'm sure I'd love the extra HP. The down side of the xkr that I've been finding is once they hit my price range they either have higher miles or getting older than I wanted to go. Will I always want more?? I do like the idea of less things to break of the NA

As a side note, I'm also looking at an 01 911 with full maintenance these are a bargain at the moment but I was looking for something a little more classy. No more stangs, or vettes for me.

Thanks for any input

Bob

Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Look before you leap. There is a wealth of information on this Forum to help you decide which year most fits your desires and budget. With every succeeding model year comes improvements, so learn about those differences. Learn to use the Advanced Search function - click the down arrow on the Search button at the top of the page to open the dropdown menu and select Advanced Search and enter your keywords. Limit your search to the X150 Forum by opening the dropdown menu in the Search In Forums box and then unlock All Open Forums and scroll down and click X150, OK, and Search to get the results.

You may be completely satisfied with the 300HP 4.2L XK. There's really nothing wrong with it as a comfortable cruiser with ample power. Until you drive a 4.2L XKR with 420HP. And then there is the 5.0L XKR with 510-550HP.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

That era 911s are bargain-priced because IMS bearings issue. You have to budget engine overhaul if you are buying one without documented fix.

The following users liked this post:
TexasTraveler (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

The 2007's had power antenna's, the 2008+ had the sharkfin antenna. That was a major factor for me when I was shopping. Also I've driven 300hp machines, I wanted something more. So I went 420hp XKR and I love it. Next step is ~500hp in a few years but for now 420hp is plenty. Honestly the only thing I miss about the xkr is the backup camera.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

we did exactly that. found the perfect (for us) 5.0L XK and went with it, but it is a regular driver (3-4 times per week). If it were a third car (weekends only), I would have bough a 5.0L XKR (and still may!)

Old 09-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Here's the $125 backup camera from Costco. I have it, quick and easy wireless installation, fits in the ashtray and it works great.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...option-206212/

Old 09-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

If you go with the XK, DO NOT try an XKR.
You’ll have your brain going crazy with ‘shoulda-woulda-coulda’ thoughts.
Don’t ask me how I know.

Cee Jay (09-27-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

various opinions. depends a lot what youre looking for. comfy classy car to enjoy and drive. or more HP to tool around in. me, horsepower is always nice to have but...not always necessary. i've driven many of both. I recently bought an XK. think it will suit me fine for the occasional wknd drive. the days of me needing to outrun the car next to me are weening, and virtually gone. My Audi A7 is supercharged, and I find that I very rarely push the pedal in that car, but...it is nice when I do.
figure your driving needs, wants and most likely tendencies. either way you'll have should coulda doubts...
worse case scenario if ya buy and change mind, can always sell and start over.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with BigBully's first sentence. It totally depends on what you are looking for - so you'll only get people's opinions (which may or may not be good advice for you).

Here is my opinion. I just bought a 2009 XK convertible a month ago. 4.2 / NA. I had never owned a Jag before. I had set a budget for myself, and if I'd found a good XKR in my budget, I'd have bought it. So I *thought* I wanted the XKR. Now that I have the XK, I think I may have been wrong about the XKR, and just got lucky. For me, knowing what I know now, I prefer the XK.

I am generally of the opinion that "more is better" when it comes to HP (thus the original preference for the XKR). However, I have two other cars which are fast - a 2016 AGM GTS, and a 2014 CLS 63s AMG. The GTS is an absolute beast. Very hard ride, incredibly fast, and corners like it is on rails. As I say, it feels like a (fantastic) beast. The CLS is a 4-door, about 580HP and 4WD - so also very fast. I had put the Jag in the same "type of car" category as the GTS before I bought it. However, having them both now, they seem completely different to me. The GTS is the car I take out on an early Sunday morning to drive the twisty mountain roads fast. It is super-low, mid-engine, very wide, and begs to be driven fast and cornered hard. The Jag will never be the kind of car the GTS is (sorry - I hope that does not offend anyone - they are just truly different cars). In fact, for the kind of car the Jag is, I prefer the Jag. The Jag is the car I take out on a sunny afternoon with my wife. It is spectacular to look at, has a ride that I'd take cross-country all week, has a sophisticated exhaust purr, and I feel like I own the world when I'm driving with the top down at the beach. The GTS will never be the kind of car the Jag is for that.

Now - to the punchline (and take this with a grain of salt because I don't own an XKR): for what I personally appreciate in the Jag, having the SC version would diminish it. It would make it more "beasty", but still never the GTS-level beasty. And not only that, but more muscle would diminish the values I appreciate in the car as noted above.

So for me, and for what I now realize I wanted, the XK is actually the better car. Still punchy enough to respond and make me happy. If you are like me, it's the XK because it's not trying hard to be something it can't fully become, at the expense of giving up what it is the very best at. I hope that makes sense.

Finally - my advice is go buy a Jag. I can't believe I'd never had one before. Not only do I love it far more than I anticipated, paradoxically it also made me love and appreciate the GTS more. Before taking delivery of the Jag, I wondered if I'd end up getting rid of one or the other because there was a lot of overlap. Nope. Not going to happen. I find myself standing in the garage looking at the cars, admiring each for what it does best.

Last edited by MurrayG; 09-23-2019 at 07:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MurrayG:
sharx8 (09-25-2019), Stuart S (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

Lots of good thoughts here. Mine to add:

- I started with an XK, got in an accident, totalled it (for nothing but the right front--- ahh, the joy of aluminum frames and complex electronics), and leapt at the opportunity to upgrade to an XKR. Haven't regretted it once.
- I will say that it has a slightly stiffer ride than the XK. (I also have 20" wheels, which adds to that. Was in an XK with 19" wheels the other day and was reminded how much smoother the ride is on bumpy city streets). Still, I prefer the XKR.
- Like a lot of folks here, I still keep an eye on what's out there. If it matters to you, I think the world's catching on to the XKR. They seem to go quicker and will be an easier resale. But if you're gonna hold onto it, no matter.
- I've taken my XKR across the country and back twice. It is the PERFECT cross-country drive car. Plush on the inside, comfy for two people for hours on end, the "back seat" which provides essential extra storage, without dumping you in a 4-door sedan.
- My vote would be hold out for an XKR but I don't know your $$ parameters.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I just finished a 4 day "road trip" with my XKR including several tours on back roads and 600 miles of Interstate driving. If you are going to want to pass another car on a two lane highway you will really appreciate the SC, true it rides a little stiffer (handles better too) than an XK but overall for my money after having owned to XKs and one XKR, my money is on the XKR.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:43 AM
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
we did exactly that. found the perfect (for us) 5.0L XK and went with it, but it is a regular driver (3-4 times per week). If it were a third car (weekends only), I would have bough a 5.0L XKR (and still may!)
My new XKR has quickly become 'regular driver' (5-7 times a week, rain or shine).
Goal now is to get at least 100Kmi of enjoyment from her.

Last edited by yidal8; 09-24-2019 at 07:33 PM.
shemp (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 12 to 17k price point. This 07 is $14,000 and I'm sure I can get it a little lower. It's really clean.

I'm looking for a cruiser for the wife and I to take some day trips , long weekends, and my golf course car.. mostly nice day ride and our 3rd vehicle. I have 2 other vehicles I'm looking at neither is a jag..

Thank you all for the great input.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

If you can swing it; R matey.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

It's worth it just for the hood vents alone!

Old 09-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

This looks really nice too, in your price range, And not to far from PA https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/c...973056954.html

Old 09-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

With the dollar exchange if you are willing to travel looks like a great buy , Portofino as well.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadacat
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

With the dollar exchange if you are willing to travel looks like a great buy , Portofino as well.
Suddenly not a fan of tinted tail lights, almost rear-ended some a-hole because you couldn’t see his turn signal or brake lights in the daylight.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by norville
I have a 12 to 17k price point. This 07 is $14,000 and I'm sure I can get it a little lower. It's really clean.

I'm looking for a cruiser for the wife and I to take some day trips , long weekends, and my golf course car.. mostly nice day ride and our 3rd vehicle. I have 2 other vehicles I'm looking at neither is a jag..

Thank you all for the great input.
I'm don't have as much experience with jaguar as other on forum do. I just bought my 1st a couple weeks ago. I do know from looking that at budget of $14-17, you have probably made your choice before actually making it. I think you'll have a hard time finding a nice condition XKR in that range. that's not to say you wont come across one, but...how long are you willing to look for?
From the post quoted above, it seems a nice, well cared for XK will make you and your wife happy. As said earlier, sure the added HP is nice, its fun, its exhilarating, but...will you use it much? or will you be told to slow down when you press down on the throttle..?

Old 09-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't driven an XKR, go with the well cared for XK. I've had my 2008 for 11 years and love her to death. She only has 55K miles.... HOWEVER, last year I purchased a 2012 X-F-R (yes 4 door, 510hp ) and now I'm dreaming about the best of both worlds. LOL

Quick Reply: Well cared for xk or wait on an xkr??