XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Wet Carpet - Drivers Side

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 04:31 AM
Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wet Carpet - Drivers Side

Hi, hoping someone can help me. Drivers side carpet in my right hand drive XK convertible is soaking wet.

I have pulled the carpet and rear seats. Rear seats seem dry but floor is wet, more so to the rear (tho that could be because more space for water there I guess). Transmission tunnel sound insulation is wet too, especially near floor.

Can anyone advise where water could be coming from? It does not look like a recent problem and I have not had car long. Not much about this on forums apart from duckbill but I believe this is wrong side of car for that?

I came from a L322 Range Rover - it seems JLR products like to let water in where not wanted!

Thanks

Drivers rear floor

Drivers floor

Rear seats

Old 12-29-2021, 04:33 AM

I checked duckbill with my iPhone and it looks ok - can see gap for water to escape so I do not believe it is that.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

There was a similar problem not long ago in thread here.
Here you go:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-guess-251042/

Last edited by GGG; 12-29-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Activate link
Old 12-29-2021, 12:23 PM

I’ve done some more work on the car today, heavy water hose around all of roof and seals. Water comes in around the drivers door glass just above the door tweeter.

On closer inspection the drivers door glass does not sit as high as the passenger side. The glass drops when open door etc all fine but the max height of glass when fully upright does not seem correct and you can see top of window in places. On passenger side window goes right up into seal and ‘squeaks’ its so snug.

Top of window to rubber gap seems bigger than passenger side

You can see damp in a pillar after hose, this made way to footwell

Drop shining in at point above tweeter

Doorcard getting wet

Old 12-29-2021, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Are the drain holes on the bottom of the door open . Do you have water in the bottom of the door.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:11 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

As you know, the window should drop about 10mm when you open the door. Then go back fully up when closed. Does yours do this? Sounds like you are saying it does not. If this is the case, try doing the window up/down reset and see if that will fix it. If not, you will have to find a dealer or someone with SDD that can reset your window controller.

The following 2 users liked this post by JackJohn:
guy (01-01-2022), ralphwg (12-29-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 02:16 PM

This has grown arms and legs.

I had a good look at the drivers window and could not see why it would not seal properly. When I tried to reset the limits on the window it would keep dropping when it hit the roof rubbers.

I found this post that noted a tech bulletin suggesting window was not physically adjusted correctly. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fritz-114178/

On top of that, when i measured the window position on door relative to passenger side, the glass was 5mm off towards rear of car.

I stripped the door down and followed Jaguar workshop manual to position glass. Then followed tech bulletin to make sure inboard / outboard lateral glass adjustment was good.

Its still not quite as good as passenger side, but window now just seals all way round into top rubber when door is closed.

I think if you have leak drivers or passenger side of car and you have convertible, you need to be sure windows are sealing properly.

Rented an industrial Karcher Puzzi. Absolutely awesome bit of kit to clean carpets properly.

Carpet after cleaning. Karcher used both sides to get as much water out as possible.

If you ever get wet carpets you need to remove from car. They will NEVER dry in the car, car floor will trap water.

As it stands for now. Checking its not leaking before carpets go back in.

Last edited by mmcd87; 12-31-2021 at 03:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mmcd87:
fxdwg (12-31-2021), kj07xk (12-31-2021), peterv8 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 06:51 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 777 Posts

I don’t think I’d be tearing it apart until a proper reset of the module were completed.

As stated above, by design the window drops purposely for opening and closing. Additionally, details for a complete systems reset can be found in this forum.

You were not clear. What exactly did you try for the “reset”? I’d be resetting the entire car by the procedure to disconnecting then, reconnecting the battery. Then performing the window reset as described in the owner’s manual.
These mechanical solutions you’ve entertained are very rarely necessary. That is, unless the window were previously toyed with.

Please do keep us informed of your progress.
Happy New Year All,
G.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Are the drain holes on the bottom of the door open . Do you have water in the bottom of the door.
Hi, yes drain holes were clear. When I stripped door it was quite clean inside. Thanks

Old 01-01-2022, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by guy
I don’t think I’d be tearing it apart until a proper reset of the module were completed.

As stated above, by design the window drops purposely for opening and closing. Additionally, details for a complete systems reset can be found in this forum.

You were not clear. What exactly did you try for the “reset”? I’d be resetting the entire car by the procedure to disconnecting then, reconnecting the battery. Then performing the window reset as described in the owner’s manual.
These mechanical solutions you’ve entertained are very rarely necessary. That is, unless the window were previously toyed with.

Please do keep us informed of your progress.
Happy New Year All,
G.
Thanks for reply. I did do hard reset with battery disconnected and touching +ve -ve but it did nothing and window would still go back to previous state. When door was closed there was a slight gap around top rubber.

Glass gap between front and rear windows was 5-6mm which was less than 8mm quoted by workshop manual. I moved the glass fwd 3mm and adjusted the in / out tolerance as per Jag tech bulletin. It is better now but not as good as passenger side. Glass does drop to open door, always has done.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:35 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,104 Likes on 777 Posts

Interesting. Glad you’ve had success in adjusting it to a better position. I still ponder the root cause of this situation, In hopes of coming to a appropriate fix. (you mention it still isn’t perfect).

Was the window “dragged or pulled” down by force? Has the gear slipped on the motor?
As the module seems to be working correctly, it seems according to the module the window is rightfully aligned when in fact it is not. Troubling.

Old 01-02-2022, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by guy
Interesting. Glad you’ve had success in adjusting it to a better position. I still ponder the root cause of this situation, In hopes of coming to a appropriate fix. (you mention it still isn’t perfect).

Was the window “dragged or pulled” down by force? Has the gear slipped on the motor?
As the module seems to be working correctly, it seems according to the module the window is rightfully aligned when in fact it is not. Troubling.
Your comments are exactly what I have been thinking. To me window should go up another 2-3mm into the roof rubbers. It sits much nicer now its positioned correctly gap wise to rear window, but is still reluctant to rise all the way compared to passenger side.