XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What is the best ceramic coating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 10:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is the best ceramic coating?

Opinions?
What is the best ceramic coating for our precious automobiles?
i have a MY 2008 XK Coupe, Salsa Red in colour.
I have a detail shop to do the paint correction and I plan on applying the ceramic coating myself.
Any solid suggestions?

Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

That's like asking about tires, car wax, leather conditioner, air filters, and blondes versus brunettes and redheads. Ask 10 people and you'll get 12 different answers. Nevertheless, ...

I recommend that you go to Amazon and search for "auto ceramic coating" and limit your search to 4 stars and higher. Then read the negative reviews; too many positive reviews are fake. I bought an "El Cheapo" never heard of brand to use on my wheels right after I had them completely refurbished, it's very slippery and the brake dust rinses right off.

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's worth the price. Amazon reviews can help you decide.

P.S. I've been very pleased with the products that I've bought from Griot's Garage, including their (1) interior cleaner (it removed paint overspray from my touchscreen that happened when my XKR was in the body shop for a bumper repair); (2) spray leather cleaner and conditioner - it's just like the OEM Jaguar product that came with my XKR; and (3) their Best of Show liquid Carnauba wax. If they have a ceramic coating, I'd check it out. I didn't see it on Amazon, but check their website.

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-26-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following users liked this post:
badicedog (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 11:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
That's like asking about tires, car wax, leather conditioner, air filters, and blondes versus brunettes and redheads. Ask 10 people and you'll get 12 different answers. Nevertheless, ...

I recommend that you go to Amazon and search for "auto ceramic coating" and limit your search to 4 stars and higher. Then read the negative reviews; too many positive reviews are fake. I bought an "El Cheapo" never heard of brand to use on my wheels right after I had them completely refurbished, it's very slippery and the brake dust rinses right off.

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's worth the price. Amazon reviews can help you decide.

P.S. I've been very pleased with the products that I've bought from Griot's Garage, including their (1) interior cleaner (it removed paint overspray from my touchscreen that happened when my XKR was in the body shop for a bumper repair); (2) spray leather cleaner and conditioner - it's just like the OEM Jaguar product that came with my XKR; and (3) their Best of Show liquid Carnauba wax. If they have a ceramic coating, I'd check it out. I didn't see it on Amazon, but check their website.
Thank you

Old 11-27-2019, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Ask on detailedimage.com and see what they say.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
CleverName (11-27-2019), JDS_REALESTATE (11-28-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I'd call Northwest Auto Salon in Lynnwood Washington, and ask... Or act like your a prospective customer. Or you might search their website.

They are constantly voted the best in the Northwest, and cater to Microsquish owners with Lamborghini, McLaren, Ferrari ect on a daily basis. The level of cars they service, and the loyalty of owners that return speaks volumes.
What they use is what I would personally trust, because those owners only pay for the best.

VInce

If you go to their site.... look at the blog for images that will make you drool!

Old 11-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Search for my thread on the subject, I have some pictures.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:02 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

I had a Range Rover coated with Ceramic Pro 9H more than two years ago, the finish is still excellent and showing no signs of degrading at all anywhere. Very little dirt sticks to the car and the finish is still glossy and extremely water repellent. I would highly recommend this product. I was professionally applied and was a 4 day process to do the whole vehicle with paint, interior trim and glass correction done before application.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I'm looking at Kamikaze Miyobi but have never coated before. has a longer time to apply (pot life). I started by reading Q&C's thread, then began researching online.

The following users liked this post:
JDS_REALESTATE (11-28-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I guess the proper term and action is flash time, not pot life. Got my chemical processes confused. Anyway, will pull the trigger this winter on product and apply this spring. I am looking @ Miyobi primarily but read an interesting post here:

https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-d...ngs-final.html

He has another post that addresses real world results on his cars in Northern Ohio 2 years passed, just as Q&C updated.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I guess the proper term and action is flash time, not pot life. Got my chemical processes confused. Anyway, will pull the trigger this winter on product and apply this spring. I am looking @ Miyobi primarily but read an interesting post here:

https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-d...ngs-final.html

He has another post that addresses real world results on his cars in Northern Ohio 2 years passed, just as Q&C updated.
Sean its been on the back of my mind all day today to write to you about this subject but was too lazy to find the thread! What are the odds that I get an email notification on my cell to respond to the thread.
And get this, it is this exact thing that you posted I was going to write about. But said he wont do anything for a while so I have time.

Mistake on top of mistake. You are missing something crucial, can you spot what it is from the first post in the link you posted?

Post your reply and this evening I will tell you why durable or long-term ceramic coating is not the best choice for you or for most people who do it themselves.

And something else to consider meanwhile. Tell me why this is the best coating for you and even a pro like me?
Here is a 22 year pro explaining it.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

^ I love that channel. I watch most all videos. Brian is great.

The torture solution he is using to degrade the coating was explained in another video but I can't find it (I'm sure everyone is wondering). Nonetheless, it consists of gasoline, brake fluid, anti freeze, trans fluid, some acids and other stuff he said would be common on the side of the road in a puddle or something. So pretty harsh.