XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What did you do to your X150 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Absolutely perfect car for it.
Its like the car was made for this singular purpose.
Couldn't agree with more

From the cool weather to the fine foods its absolutely the perfect way to be getting around

Old 06-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,375 Likes on 3,183 Posts

I seem to remember a thread a few weeks ago about some member who wanted to drive cross country in his XKR with his son, and many people said to Rent A Car to do that.
I can't remember who gave that ridiculous input, but there ya go.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I seem to remember a thread a few weeks ago about some member who wanted to drive cross country in his XKR with his son, and many people said to Rent A Car to do that.
I can't remember who gave that ridiculous input, but there ya go.
That was me.
Steve is going to drive around cheese and wine country with his Lady. Lotsa drinking little bit of driving. I assumed like us, they dont grow grape vines on the side of the highway. And he never asked us what all should he be worried about fixing on a car with high miles going cross-country behind trucks.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

My baby has been in the shop for the last week with a case of a leaking water pump (I knew it was coming) and cracked washer fluid reservoir, A/C recharge needed and oil change all for the sum of ~$1600. There may be a new supercharger belt in there too. I'm hoping to get her back on Monday and i'll get her all washed, detailed, and buffed.

I've also had an issue where my left front turn indicator intermittently works. The rear light always works so its difficult to figure out. My mechanic basically said its not worth the trouble to fix. I may just have to live with it for the time being.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Changed my air filters... glad I did, they were pretty dirty...

Old 06-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Changed my air filters... glad I did, they were pretty dirty...

You could have got another 7 years out of them. Hope you saved them.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,990 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Lowered the tire pressure and drove it to work today (had been over inflated for the long winter nap). First time on the road this year (had been patiently waiting for me to fix an oil leak that cropped up this winter).
Sorry, no pictures. She's in serious need of a bath, so she's too embarrassed to show her face (or anything else) on camera.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Today I had the transmission fluid and pan/filter changed on my baby. It made significant improvements to shifts and smoothness having reached 50K on her.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Today I had the transmission fluid and pan/filter changed on my baby. It made significant improvements to shifts and smoothness having reached 50K on her.
Did you do it yourself?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, had it done at a local trany shop. They indicated the fluid didn't look that bad but then the question is..compared to what? I watched the tech work on it and thought for sure it was completely doable DIY. In my case though, I'd want it on a lift so as to give plenty of room to work.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Curious. I've heard that many times, yet when I had my oil & pan changed at around 65k miles (bought it at 63k), I didn't really notice any difference.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

I had noticed it was getting a slight shift lag and didn't feel smooth. We took it for a drive over the same roads and conditions before and after service to confirm the results. My wife even noticed it seemed smoother.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Painted the headlight washer covers and air vents body color. It was just too much chrome for my taste.

The following users liked this post:
Wm. Lyon (12-20-2022)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,290 Likes on 3,452 Posts

I like it. An improvement over the factory chrome. Now you need to get rid of that zit on it's pretty nose.
License Plate Frames - Altec Products Inc.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I like it. An improvement over the factory chrome. Now you need to get rid of that zit on it's pretty nose.
License Plate Frames - Altec Products Inc.
I know.... It drives me crazy... I already removed it to see how bad it was and there are 4 massive bolt holes in the bumper which will involve filling and repainting the entire bumper. It will eventually get done that I'm sure of...

Old 06-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know.... It drives me crazy... I already removed it to see how bad it was and there are 4 massive bolt holes in the bumper which will involve filling and repainting the entire bumper. It will eventually get done that I'm sure of...
Nice!, I put vinyl on the chrome window trim and want to do what you did. Did you remove them yourself and was it a pain?

Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nicobaires
Nice!, I put vinyl on the chrome window trim and want to do what you did. Did you remove them yourself and was it a pain?
The headlight washer covers you just can pulled straight out by hand and detach covers. It is self explanatory once you pull on the washer. The air vent trim are held on by 4 clips and pop off. I think that pulling the vent off on the inside clips (closest to grill) first is best, putting them back on in reverse by lining up outside clips first the push in inside clips. Or if they are really tight you can always remove 7 torx screws in the fender liner (same procedure as changing air filters) and reach hand in and help release clips. Its not hard at all...

Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The headlight washer covers you just can pulled straight out by hand and detach covers. It is self explanatory once you pull on the washer. The air vent trim are held on by 4 clips and pop off. I think that pulling the vent off on the inside clips (closest to grill) first is best, putting them back on in reverse by lining up outside clips first the push in inside clips. Or if they are really tight you can always remove 7 torx screws in the fender liner (same procedure as changing air filters) and reach hand in and help release clips. Its not hard at all...
Thanks! I'm also looking to do the oval trip pieces on the grill but those look hard to remove without taking of the bumper?

Old 06-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nicobaires
Thanks! I'm also looking to do the oval trip pieces on the grill but those look hard to remove without taking of the bumper?
I believe you are correct the bumper has to be at least partially removed to get the grills out...

Old 06-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I had noticed it was getting a slight shift lag and didn't feel smooth. We took it for a drive over the same roads and conditions before and after service to confirm the results. My wife even noticed it seemed smoother.
Interesting, I don't think my gearbox has at any point been completely smooth, before or after the oil change. I should drive another X150 to be sure, I guess.

On another note, a few days ago I cleaned the seats and the steering wheel with Lexol leather cleaner, then applied Lexol leather conditioner to everything that seemed like leather; everything except 13 in the (promo) photos below. Have I understood the leathery bits correctly? I think my car has the luxury interior package with genuine leather here and there, as it has perforated 16 way seats.

Large photo 1 (mirror)

Large photo 2 (mirror)

In these promo photos, the centre console leather and the glove box lid leather seem to have a much rougher pattern than the rest of the leather. On my car, however, they both look as smooth as the upper dash leather.

Anyway; I left it on overnight, and having read the forums, expected to have to buff streaks and blotches out of the seats in the morning with a cotton towel. However, to my surprise everything was absorbed, and nothing felt sticky or greasy! I applied more conditioner everywhere, which was completely absorbed again in maybe 4-6 hours, and then a third final time on just the seating surfaces of the seats, again with the same result.

Does this sound weird? The seats do feel more supple now.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X150 today?