XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What did you do to your X150 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:35 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
I think your image needs an edit Jim.
LOL. To be fair, it's easy to make a typo when typing all that in. I think I found it for him:

bmdNZXRob2Q+MjwvZXh pZjpTZW5zaW5nTWV0aG9kPgo

It should read:

bmdNTXRob2Q+MjwvZXh pZjpTZW5zaW5nTWV0aG9kPgo

Fixed it for him

The following 3 users liked this post by barnsie:
MurrayG (10-28-2019), pwpacp (10-28-2019), shemp (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by barnsie
I wouldn't have the ba11s to tackle this unaided as my knowledge on these matters is, shall we say, 'limited'. All the best, Keith.
It is really not that bad, and is something that anyone can tackle themselves if they choose to - even those with 10 thumbs. The "learning" is mostly just how to access each bulb. So for anyone who wants to try it - I'd suggest just bite off one at a time, and feel free to reach out to me either in the LED replacement forum or by PM and I'd be happy to give more of a detailed account of what that particular bulb required. There is always a small chance you'll break something (just as I broke the side-repeater housing when removing it, and blew a fuse when replacing one of the vanity mirror bulbs). But that goes along with the territory and the risk is HUGELY reduced by getting advice beforehand. The best part of doing it yourself is that you'll get to know your car.

And if you do, here is a list of the easiest ones to start on (though none are hard):
  • Trunk interior lights
  • Footwell interior lights
  • Glovebox light
  • License plate lights
Have fun!

Old 10-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MurrayG
It is really not that bad, and is something that anyone can tackle themselves if they choose to - even those with 10 thumbs. The "learning" is mostly just how to access each bulb. So for anyone who wants to try it - I'd suggest just bite off one at a time, and feel free to reach out to me either in the LED replacement forum or by PM and I'd be happy to give more of a detailed account of what that particular bulb required. There is always a small chance you'll break something (just as I broke the side-repeater housing when removing it, and blew a fuse when replacing one of the vanity mirror bulbs). But that goes along with the territory and the risk is HUGELY reduced by getting advice beforehand. The best part of doing it yourself is that you'll get to know your car.

And if you do, here is a list of the easiest ones to start on (though none are hard):
  • Trunk interior lights
  • Footwell interior lights
  • Glovebox light
  • License plate lights
Have fun!
Thanks for that. I have had a look around the car this afternoon and those you mention do look pretty easy (I have already done the license plate lights, which is what started me down this route. Loved the effect!).

I have checked the service manual for how to get at the fog lights and it seems straightforward enough - did you do it with the wheel in place or did you remove it?

I have also looked in the user handbook and removing the headlamp unit seems easy enough -just three nuts to remove, so I am expecting the bulbs in there to be easy enough.

The vanity lights just prise carefully out of their housing in the visor I assume?

How do you remove the overhead console to get at the map lights and interior light - is it just a question of carefully prising it off?

Thanks for all the help and advice - much appreciated.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I have checked the service manual for how to get at the fog lights and it seems straightforward enough - did you do it with the wheel in place or did you remove it?
I did it with the wheel in place. I turned the wheel hard to the side, and from there was able to gain access to 5 torx bolts. With those removed, I could pry the lining enough for acces. As I recall, the left side had more components to work around than the right side. But both were very doable in this way. Removing the bulbs was a simple matter of twisting them out of the hole, and then you had to bend the two plastic tabs to undo the connector from the wiring harness to the bulb.

The vanity lights just prise carefully out of their housing in the visor I assume?
Yes - I used a small reading-glasses screwdriver to carefully pry out the plastic covers. There is a very small indent to place the tool into. They snap in but none broke when I removed them. Pulling out the bulbs themselves was made easier using a pair of latex gloves for grip.

How do you remove the overhead console to get at the map lights and interior light - is it just a question of carefully prising it off?
Yes. For this, you want a plastic non-marring tool. Be careful not to pry unnecessarily against the headliner as it will damage it. Slip a thin tool between the headliner and the console, and pull the console straight down. As I recall there are 5 tabs. There is a picture that will help here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...urgery-223268/

The light bulbs will then be exposed on the "ceiling" (they don't come down with the console).

For future reference purposes / ease, this thread may be best moved to the LED light replacement thread - up to you.

All the best and good luck! Let me know if I can help.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by MurrayG
I did it with the wheel in place. I turned the wheel hard to the side, and from there was able to gain access to 5 torx bolts. With those removed, I could pry the lining enough for acces. As I recall, the left side had more components to work around than the right side. But both were very doable in this way. Removing the bulbs was a simple matter of twisting them out of the hole, and then you had to bend the two plastic tabs to undo the connector from the wiring harness to the bulb.

Yes - I used a small reading-glasses screwdriver to carefully pry out the plastic covers. There is a very small indent to place the tool into. They snap in but none broke when I removed them. Pulling out the bulbs themselves was made easier using a pair of latex gloves for grip.

Yes. For this, you want a plastic non-marring tool. Be careful not to pry unnecessarily against the headliner as it will damage it. Slip a thin tool between the headliner and the console, and pull the console straight down. As I recall there are 5 tabs. There is a picture that will help here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...urgery-223268/

The light bulbs will then be exposed on the "ceiling" (they don't come down with the console).

For future reference purposes / ease, this thread may be best moved to the LED light replacement thread - up to you.

All the best and good luck! Let me know if I can help.
Thanks for all that MurrayG.

I have cross-posted the last few posts to the LED replacement thread as suggested.

MODS: You might consider deleting these last few posts now they have been moved to a more relevant thread. Thx.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

I had my head light units out once just to see for learning matters etc easy to come out , But a twist to get back in

Old 10-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Had some spare time today so finally got around to doing the second oil change of this year . had ran through a few tankfuls of injector cleaner past few months and just under 3k since last oil service , So time to change out the oil and filter . Put in a can of Engine flush ran car for 20mins then removed oil filter and used the suction pump i have drew out just over 7 litres of oil replaced the filter put in 6 litres of new castrol pro 5w20 started car up let run for 30 sec then turned off will top up over the weekend its currently on the ctek

Old 11-03-2019, 06:38 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 930 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
Had some spare time today so finally got around to doing the second oil change of this year . had ran through a few tankfuls of injector cleaner past few months and just under 3k since last oil service , So time to change out the oil and filter . Put in a can of Engine flush ran car for 20mins then removed oil filter and used the suction pump i have drew out just over 7 litres of oil replaced the filter put in 6 litres of new castrol pro 5w20 started car up let run for 30 sec then turned off will top up over the weekend its currently on the ctek
Does running injector cleaner and running engine with engine flush really help?

Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,215 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
imo, injector cleaner is. Most tier 1 gasolines have injector cleaner but as cheap as it is, why not? If your injectors needed cleaning you'll notice the difference quickly. If not, no harm done.

The engine flush I think is more common with those who race. I'd wager 99.9% of all vehicles worldwide never get an engine flush, but it's also cheap insurance, if you're not too good about changing your oil regularly. It will clean gunk out. If you winter store your car, it's a good idea because oil isn't circulating.

The following users liked this post:
George05 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Washed her, overinflated her tires, and parked her on wood boards for the winter.
Sad, only drove her 600 miles in the past year. (Family medical issues required a lot of time out of town, and needed to use the other car for transport.)
Looking forward to next year.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL

Never seen a DI injector on our cars that was clean, and most fail, sooner than later, under 50k miles, due to being dirty.
Mine are clean and the original. I use a lot of injector cleaner, it has other benefits.
I have never seen a carburetor either that fuel and carbon did not gum up.

However, when I took top half my chevy engine apart, injectors were clean, but ports where fuel sprayed were just a gummy mess, even with use of cleaner. Point being gasoline is bad news, so anything above and beyond only helps.

Sean W (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 07:32 AM
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

what brand injector cleaner?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by yidal8
what brand injector cleaner?
This allegedly has a good rep....

https://www.hydra-fueladditives.com/...saAjicEALw_wcB

DGL (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,215 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Washed her, overinflated her tires, and parked her on wood boards for the winter.
Sad, only drove her 600 miles in the past year. (Family medical issues required a lot of time out of town, and needed to use the other car for transport.)
Looking forward to next year.
Sorry to read about the family issues Ken. Tough year it sounds like.

Once my car comes back from the body shop for the respray, I'll be doing the same but adding fuel stabilizer, dryer sheets on the inside (Cause mice don't like them), park on a plastic painters tarp to contain the moisture that leeches form the concrete, steel wool in the exhaust tips (again damn meeses) and scatter a few mothballs under the car, put it on the maintainer.

kj07xk (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Sorry to read about the family issues Ken. Tough year it sounds like.

Once my car comes back from the body shop for the respray, I'll be doing the same but adding fuel stabilizer, dryer sheets on the inside (Cause mice don't like them), park on a plastic painters tarp to contain the moisture that leeches form the concrete, steel wool in the exhaust tips (again damn meeses) and scatter a few mothballs under the car, put it on the maintainer.
Thanks Sean. Fortunately things are better now, so looking forward to having time to work on my backlog of mods next year.
Thought about doing those mouse deterrents, but we have enough wandering cats, observant hawks, and a couple of coyotes in the neighborhood that keeps the mouse (and other critter) population under control. Oh, and since she's always on the maintainer, I failed to mention that!

Sean W (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I had a blocked injector a few year back the only problem i have really had with the car , so i am a bit paranoid and use quite a lot of injector cleaner . engine flush i use every 2 year normally to give it a clean out

The following 2 users liked this post by George05:
DGL (11-04-2019), Sean W (11-05-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

I’ve been a busy bee today. Washed, clay bar the cat, then added SiO2 protectant by Jax Wax “Ceramic Detailer.” Installed new puddle lights too.

The following 4 users liked this post by badicedog:
peterv8 (11-05-2019), pwpacp (11-05-2019), Sean W (11-04-2019), TexasTraveler (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Took oil reading first thing this morning after recent oil change had took out 7.1-2 litres . put in 6 litres car asked for another 1 l . so put in 500ml the other day. this morning took a reading gauge should up just under half full so added another 300ml then this afternoon turned engine over . sounds smooth let it ile for 25mins will take another reading in morning

Old 11-07-2019, 06:22 AM

I had my calipers professionally painted in red. Here's some photos of them just after I'd washed the car after driving it back home in filthy weather.

What did you do to your X150 today?-fioupcsh.jpg

What did you do to your X150 today?-268h4ybh.jpg

What did you do to your X150 today?-y1ubp1vh.jpg

Last edited by barnsie; 11-07-2019 at 06:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by barnsie:
arenaej (11-07-2019), TexasTraveler (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

They look really great, is that powder coat?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X150 today?