XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What did you do to your X150 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by barnsie
Saves me from having to put it on stands to keep the tyres from getting flat spots too. How do you guys deal with that? Do you move the car in and out of the garage periodically?
There are several ways,
If you have a long enough garage, park it in a slightly different spot each time.
There are tire cushions, which can be driven off and on without any fuss. Have a look on Amazon there are countless brands.
Some over inflate the tires.
Flat spots made by 4 months of storage are easily removed in a few miles of driving.

The following users liked this post:
barnsie (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,326 Likes on 3,157 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
Yes i start it let it idle for 20mins then slowly move it back and forward for few mins then switch off . i do this twice a month
Yeah, that's more damage than letting it sit.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Yeah, that's more damage than letting it sit.
Maybe the jag could do a spot of knitting while it sits could do with a new cardigan lol

Old 11-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

This is something I did with my XKR rather than to it, but it might be of interest.

I've been following various threads where people have been attempting to bring their XK(R) into this century by adding touchscreens, Android head units and so on. The one thing they all have in common is that it is by no means a trivial task.

But I added vastly improved satnav, Android Auto, Waze, Maps, thousands of Internet radio stations, Amazon Prime music, Spotify, telephony and tons more to my 2009 MY XKR, all for less than 20 bucks! Best of all, the sound from the radio, music apps, satnav etc all comes through all of the Jaguar premium sound system installed in my car.

And it all kicks in seamlessly as soon as I turn on the car before driving away.

All I did was download the (free) Android Auto app from the Google Play Store and install it on my Samsung Galaxy S10 cellphone. I then bought one of these little gizmos from Amazon:

This is the link for Amazon UK This is the link for Amazon UK
(there are various different types of unit that all do the same thing, and they are sure to be available everywhere - but I have 3 of these and they are inexpensive, nicely made, easy to set up and reliable).

The gizmo is a tiny FM transmitter - like a tiny radio station in your car. You pair with your phone via Bluetooth, and then tune the radio to an unused FM frequency to match the frequency you set up in the gizmo.

Then, when you run Android Auto, you get a very nice interface on your phone and the sound from the phone is 'transmitted' via BT to the gizmo and then on to the car's sound system via the radio. You can make and receive telephone calls (the gizmo has an inbuilt-microphone), search your contacts in the Android Auto phonebook, run various apps such as Waze, Spotify, Replaio (internet radio stations) - all from the AA interface, and all with sound coming from the car's sound system. When a phone call comes in, you can set the radio or satnav to mute for the duration of the call. When you are listening to the radio, you can mute the sound from the music when your satnav (Waze or Maps) gives you an instruction. All just the same as in the latest, up-to-date cars.

And it is *cheap*. And if you mount your phone neatly in the car, it looks great too. I have my phone mounted horizontally on the central vents with a magnetic attachment. Oh yes, you can also plug two devices into the twin USB sockets on the gizmo for charging. (A cable isn't required for all of the above as it is all connected together via BT and FM, but you may want to charge your phone while using it).

Like I say, this isn't competition for all the great work the guys in the other threads are doing - but it is cheap, easy and it works beautifully. I have installed it in all of our family's vehicles.

Last edited by barnsie; 11-19-2019 at 01:46 PM.
ralphwg (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,956 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by barnsie
Saves me from having to put it on stands to keep the tyres from getting flat spots too. How do you guys deal with that? Do you move the car in and out of the garage periodically?
Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Some over inflate the tires.
I'm in that 'some' category. Current tires are rated at 51 max PSI, so I pump 'em up to 45 (wouldn't want a warm day come along and blow all four tires!).

Old 11-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,215 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I'm in that 'some' category. Current tires are rated at 51 max PSI, so I pump 'em up to 45 (wouldn't want a warm day come along and blow all four tires!).
And you don't want your suspension hanging by using stands for that long. Flat spots would be preferable.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 912 Posts

Barnsie - Thanks, I just ordered one for my XJS.

barnsie (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
And you don't want your suspension hanging by using stands for that long. Flat spots would be preferable.
Why?
I've had mine on the lift over the past 2 winters and my previous car also with no issues!? I do it so mice can't get to the car. :-)

Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by peterv8
Why?
I've had mine on the lift over the past 2 winters and my previous car also with no issues!? I do it so mice can't get to the car. :-)
steel wool in the exhaust pipes, dryer sheets in the car and engine bay will keep the mice away. You're straining your suspension leaving it hang fully extended. Now if you have jacks at the jack points and also use them under the suspension, you should be good. No issues is subjective imo. I've never had tire flat spots, or mice.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 569 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
Why?
Not comparing apples to apples, but I was changing the oil on my daughter's Hyundai years ago and I had the car jacked up. When I put the car down, one side was lower. The strut had blown and was bottomed out.. All due to hanging in the air for 30 minutes. That's the only time that has ever happened to me in 35 years of jacking up cars though. and it was a Hyundai, so

Old 11-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

dryer sheets in the car and engine bay will keep the mice away.
saw a youtube video that mice hate the smell of peppermint oil. is it true?

Old 11-20-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
saw a youtube video that mice hate the smell of peppermint oil. is it true?
I don't know. I asked one once. He just shrugged and walked away.

The following 4 users liked this post by Sean W:
DGL (11-21-2019), pwpacp (11-21-2019), Queen and Country (11-20-2019), shemp (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

steel wool in the exhaust pipes, dryer sheets in the car and engine bay will keep the mice away. You're straining your suspension leaving it hang fully extended. Now if you have jacks at the jack points and also use them under the suspension, you should be good. No issues is subjective imo. I've never had tire flat spots, or mice.
Originally Posted by shemp
Not comparing apples to apples, but I was changing the oil on my daughter's Hyundai years ago and I had the car jacked up. When I put the car down, one side was lower. The strut had blown and was bottomed out.. All due to hanging in the air for 30 minutes. That's the only time that has ever happened to me in 35 years of jacking up cars though. and it was a Hyundai, so
I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen to me! 😁

Old 11-21-2019, 05:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pushed the go button with my Bodyshop guy to paint the chrome window surrounds gloss black. I’m going to leave the front bumper air ducts and the side gill chrome intact. I’m not a huge fan of the chrome boot plinth so I’m holding fire on what to do with that. It’s either going to be body colour and leave a bit of chrome, fully gloss black or body colour with gloss black.

[img]blob:https://www.jaguarforums.com/adfe0c12-75c6-4aad-ad0d-1a600d194180[/img]

Old 11-21-2019, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lee Michigan
Just pushed the go button with my Bodyshop guy to paint the chrome window surrounds gloss black. I’m going to leave the front bumper air ducts and the side gill chrome intact. I’m not a huge fan of the chrome boot plinth so I’m holding fire on what to do with that. It’s either going to be body colour and leave a bit of chrome, fully gloss black or body colour with gloss black.

[img]blob:https://www.jaguarforums.com/adfe0c12-75c6-4aad-ad0d-1a600d194180[/img]
Pic isn't showing. You'll have to let us know what he did to prep it. It's anodized aluminum, not chrome.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry for the dark pics. I had a small scratch on my rear spoiler so today I had it fixed the cheap way!

Old 11-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,326 Likes on 3,157 Posts

Put a sticker on it. Works, I guess.
I got a factory Speed Pack spoiler that came with a scratch, but I don't know what color it is. My go-to paint supplier went out of business, and I really don't want to spend $35 for a 1/4oz bottle of MAYBE the right color.

MLRjr (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
Default It’s a wrap!

yea, it was going to cost plenty to have it removed and paint matched. This carbon fiber vinyl wrap was $50.

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Put a sticker on it. Works, I guess.
I got a factory Speed Pack spoiler that came with a scratch, but I don't know what color it is. My go-to paint supplier went out of business, and I really don't want to spend $35 for a 1/4oz bottle of MAYBE the right color.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Admiring a few things today on such a wet Monday. Newly painted gloss black window trims and tinted rear screen working well together. Plus you got to love that beading. It’s not even clean so it would be even better if it was.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,843 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Television
Admiring a few things today on such a wet Monday. Newly painted gloss black window trims and tinted rear screen working well together. Plus you got to love that beading. It’s not even clean so it would be even better if it was.
Welcome to the forums Television,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X150 today?