XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What did you do to your X150 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Yep MLRjr, in Minnesota, black ice warning this morning on the heels of about 14 inches of snow. Just life up here. I could complain but it wouldn't help.
We would die....one inch cripples our city. I spend 10 hours in my Infiniti M45 3 years ago. We had one inch of ice over about a half inch of snow......Luckily i found 3 or 4 small "airplane" sized bottles of bourbon in my glove box

Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

We get a inch of snow the place comes to a halt

The following users liked this post:
MLRjr (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,333 Likes on 3,161 Posts

I got about 13 inches of snow over four days last week. Nothing abnormal happened though, other than a bunch of fender benders on the roads. It's more than half gone now though. Maybe about four inches left.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
We get a inch of snow the place comes to a halt
Yes but you have forgotten how we prayed for that when we were kids and full of joy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
George05 (12-07-2019), MLRjr (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

I just had the major B service done along with the Diff oil changed at 52,725 miles, I supplied the following myself:

Jag original pollen filter (bought from ebay for £25 jag price £64.50)
2 x K&N air filters (my car has K&N's from previous owner and there's not enough time for them to clean them properly*)
2 x 1l bottles of BOT720 diff oil (purchased for £39 delivered Jag price is £37 each!)

£65 labour diff
Free 4 wheel alignment
£90 labour service
£72.50 Castrol Edge Pro EC5 0w/20 (new spec oil for our cars and £10 per liter...although I can't find it anywhere cheaper)
£20.15 oil filter
£3.78 sump plug
£10 service sundries
Free Wurth Fuel cleaner
£2.27 screen wash

Advisories were

1) New wipers needed (got them from main dealer for less than £26..normally £46)
2) NSF tyre curb damage (not an MOT fail and I have 2 spares)
3) trim clips missing from pollen filter cover (a whole new assembly is needed as opposed to being able to buy the clips separately...grrrr)

Below is a pic of my old diff oil (I have a sample to send away for analysis in the New Year) only 1l of the BOT720 was needed and am guessing it is golden in colour, what came out was sludgy blackness. This may not be a bad thing, but I'd prefer to have clean in, no opportunity to test it as it's just too cold out!

Process (as was explained to me) was:

a) Let Diff cool to 35 degrees
b) remove drain plug & drain out old fluid
c) syringe in 50ml to flush out any detritus
d) refit drain plug and syringe in exactly 950ml of new fluid in
e) refit fill plug and test drive

The particular Jag Indy has access to the Jaguar system and their service shows up on the e-service on-line

*I've already cleaned the old K&N's and they are drying prior to being re-oiled at the weekend and put away for being swapped back in a couple of years

Total amount = £263.70+VAT (£316.44 inc) so $460 in your money....which I think is superb value

Indy says that Main dealers currently use Motul oil as they don't have a contract with Castrol here in the UK yet??

Oh and they washed it for me, and did a great job!

The following 3 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
DGL (12-05-2019), ralphwg (12-06-2019), Sean W (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,960 Likes on 1,317 Posts

The trim clips that you mention, are those the same as the rest holding down panels?
If so, you can get a box of them from ClipsNFasteners.

DGL (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Took off the bumper, skid plate, inner fender liners. Just to get to the fog lights and swap them with LEDs. Didn't have to do all that but wanted to test out the new toy. Made quick work of all those screws...

Old 12-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Received 464 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Took off the bumper, skid plate, inner fender liners. Just to get to the fog lights and swap them with LEDs. Didn't have to do all that but wanted to test out the new toy. Made quick work of all those screws...

You have a 2008 XKR like me but it seems that your fog lights are different to mine. Do you have a link to wherever you bought yours? I am in a strange position - I have updated my lights to LED but my foglights seem to be unique to the particular build of my car and AFAICT they are 'sealed' (or at least there is no obvious,way to open them up to replace the bulb). It seems that the only version of foglight that will fit my car is the version it came with (which can't be updated to take an LED bulb). But I am interested in exploring every avenue so I could take it up with your supplier if you have a link. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by barnsie
You have a 2008 XKR like me but it seems that your fog lights are different to mine. Do you have a link to wherever you bought yours? I am in a strange position - I have updated my lights to LED but my foglights seem to be unique to the particular build of my car and AFAICT they are 'sealed' (or at least there is no obvious,way to open them up to replace the bulb). It seems that the only version of foglight that will fit my car is the version it came with (which can't be updated to take an LED bulb). But I am interested in exploring every avenue so I could take it up with your supplier if you have a link. Thanks.
Unless you have aftermarket ones, you should have the same as mine. When you take the fog light assembly out, there should be markings on there that tell you to twist counter clock wise to open, and clockwise to close. It takes a lot of effort to open them up initially since they are kinda glued in place (see the white stuff around the rim in my pictures). That's why I took them completely out from the bumper. Once you split them apart you just unclip the bracket, unplug the white connector and swap the bulb with the new one.

I bought the LEDs on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NZ6DF5F/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NZ6DF5F/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 12-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Did you soak the screws in oil?

Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Unless you have aftermarket ones, you should have the same as mine. When you take the fog light assembly out, there should be markings on there that tell you to twist counter clock wise to open, and clockwise to close. It takes a lot of effort to open them up initially since they are kinda glued in place (see the white stuff around the rim in my pictures). That's why I took them completely out from the bumper. Once you split them apart you just unclip the bracket, unplug the white connector and swap the bulb with the new one.

I bought the LEDs on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NZ...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! I didn't realise they would be so tight. I will take another look next time I get the car out of the garage.

gkubrak (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Did you soak the screws in oil?
They were still wet when I did the job and I didn't want them to rust, so I soaked them in some WD-40 then dried them off. Wanted to make sure there was no water on them when they went back in.

Queen and Country (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

meow, that seems like an aweful lot of work. I just took off skid plate and pellet fender liner back to upgrade LED fog lights

Old 12-06-2019, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by badicedog
meow, that seems like an aweful lot of work. I just took off skid plate and pellet fender liner back to upgrade LED fog lights
When I had a look at mine, and before I gave up, it seemed to me that I would be able to remove the foglight units just by removing part of the wheel well liner ('fender splash shield')? In fact, IIRC, this is how the workshop manual tells us to do it. Is this not correct and more dismantling has to be done to be able to remove the fog light unit completely?

Old 12-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by badicedog
Yeah it was but like I said, I didn't mind testing out the new screw gun =]

Originally Posted by barnsie
When I had a look at mine, and before I gave up, it seemed to me that I would be able to remove the foglight units just by removing part of the wheel well liner ('fender splash shield')? In fact, IIRC, this is how the workshop manual tells us to do it. Is this not
correct and more dismantling has to be done to be able to remove the fog light unit completely?
In mine there were 3 screws not 2. That procedure may be for the N/A version, not the S/C. You can remove the the whole assembly just by 'peeling' back the fender liner like badicedog mentions above. Might have to just fiddle and rotate it around a bit once you get the screws out.

barnsie (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Lucky dawg i got no fog lights

Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

George05,
It's funny you should mention that lack of fog lights on the 2010+ XK/XKR. As I get older (66), my night and my peripheral vision get worse and worse. On my X100 XKR, my fog lights always helped my driving at night by throwing a halo of light around the bottom of the front end of the car that lit it up for me. I truly miss that on my 2010 XKR and have thought about doing a string of l.e.d. lights around the intake vents and running the wiring through them and up to a connection. I sure Jaguar had left a set of fog lamps on the redesign.

George05 (01-21-2020)
Old 12-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,262 Likes on 3,438 Posts

Ted,
If you miss the halo effect of fog lights while driving at night, don't worry. At this stage of the game, time is taking its toll on your eyes and cataracts are in your future. Don't have cataract surgery and you'll keep seeing halos at night, even if you don't have fog lights.
Stuart

Old 12-07-2019, 02:40 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
George05,
It's funny you should mention that lack of fog lights on the 2010+ XK/XKR. As I get older (66), my night and my peripheral vision get worse and worse. On my X100 XKR, my fog lights always helped my driving at night by throwing a halo of light around the bottom of the front end of the car that lit it up for me. I truly miss that on my 2010 XKR and have thought about doing a string of l.e.d. lights around the intake vents and running the wiring through them and up to a connection. I sure Jaguar had left a set of fog lamps on the redesign.
Nice but very expensive!!
Startech DRL

Or my $10 solution!

But real foglights give better lighting, my front bumper with foglights is for sale!

George05 (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
I just had the major B service done along with the Diff oil changed at 52,725 miles, I supplied the following myself:

Jag original pollen filter (bought from ebay for £25 jag price £64.50)
2 x K&N air filters (my car has K&N's from previous owner and there's not enough time for them to clean them properly*)
2 x 1l bottles of BOT720 diff oil (purchased for £39 delivered Jag price is £37 each!)

£65 labour diff
Free 4 wheel alignment
£90 labour service
£72.50 Castrol Edge Pro EC5 0w/20 (new spec oil for our cars and £10 per liter...although I can't find it anywhere cheaper)
£20.15 oil filter
£3.78 sump plug
£10 service sundries
Free Wurth Fuel cleaner
£2.27 screen wash

Advisories were

1) New wipers needed (got them from main dealer for less than £26..normally £46)
2) NSF tyre curb damage (not an MOT fail and I have 2 spares)
3) trim clips missing from pollen filter cover (a whole new assembly is needed as opposed to being able to buy the clips separately...grrrr)

Below is a pic of my old diff oil (I have a sample to send away for analysis in the New Year) only 1l of the BOT720 was needed and am guessing it is golden in colour, what came out was sludgy blackness. This may not be a bad thing, but I'd prefer to have clean in, no opportunity to test it as it's just too cold out!

Process (as was explained to me) was:

a) Let Diff cool to 35 degrees
b) remove drain plug & drain out old fluid
c) syringe in 50ml to flush out any detritus
d) refit drain plug and syringe in exactly 950ml of new fluid in
e) refit fill plug and test drive

The particular Jag Indy has access to the Jaguar system and their service shows up on the e-service on-line

*I've already cleaned the old K&N's and they are drying prior to being re-oiled at the weekend and put away for being swapped back in a couple of years

Total amount = £263.70+VAT (£316.44 inc) so $460 in your money....which I think is superb value

Indy says that Main dealers currently use Motul oil as they don't have a contract with Castrol here in the UK yet??

Oh and they washed it for me, and did a great job!

Had the diff oil in mine changed a while back only £140 You should think of doing your supercharge oil change car is nearly 6 year old will be Horrible

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X150 today?