XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What did you do to your X150 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,463 Likes on 3,220 Posts

All the parts are new, replaced one at a time. All the TPMS sensors are brand new Siemens. I already chased most of the wires, all are fine. I don't have the Behind-the-Bumper pinch that sometimes happens.

I updated all the firmware in both the module AND the receiver. The original receiver would FAIL, but the new one was fine. But, still no bueno.

Yeah, I'll have to use the troubleshooting steps in the manual. Not until it's WARM though.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
DGL (02-15-2020), pwpacp (02-15-2020), Stuart S (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 07:09 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 935 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
All the parts are new, replaced one at a time. All the TPMS sensors are brand new Siemens. I already chased most of the wires, all are fine. I don't have the Behind-the-Bumper pinch that sometimes happens.

I updated all the firmware in both the module AND the receiver. The original receiver would FAIL, but the new one was fine. But, still no bueno.

Yeah, I'll have to use the troubleshooting steps in the manual. Not until it's WARM though.
After doing all the right things and no cigar. I wouldn't give up, but I understand your frustration. You'll eventually find what is causing the problem, hopefully soon.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Update; I just drove those 25 miles, the last ten miles with TPMS SYSTEM FAULT on the dash.
If I swore in this forum, you'd see a shitload of profanities right now.
EVERY SINGLE PART has been changed out with new. All the wires chased good.
*sigh*
Time to Disable TPMS, I guess.
Thanks Cee Jay, I guess you've answered the question for us all. I'll have to consider the same as well.

Cee Jay (02-15-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Pulled the car out of that garage and gave it a bath. (first time with a foam cannon). A lady passing by complained I was polluting but I assured her it was biodegradable. After the dry down I used some Iron-X on parts of the car that weren't repainted last year which is basically the doors, shoulders and rear bumper cover.

Tomorrow will clay bar using a clay bar mitt.

Wednesday will be a light cut and polish, then isopropyl alcohol

Then will give it a ceramic coat

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
peterv8 (04-07-2020), TexasTraveler (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 08:30 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Pulled the car out of that garage and gave it a bath. (first time with a foam cannon). A lady passing by complained I was polluting but I assured her it was biodegradable.
Did you consider spraying her ? lol

Old 04-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by gkubrak
Did you consider spraying her ? lol
Funny you should mention. If she would have been any closer to the car I could have said it was an accident. I did indeed point it right at her as I was explaining that the soap is less harmful than Tide laundry detergent. A lot of folks were out walking and most just asked if they could drop their car off.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Pulled the car out of that garage and gave it a bath. (first time with a foam cannon). A lady passing by complained I was polluting but I assured her it was biodegradable. After the dry down I used some Iron-X on parts of the car that weren't repainted last year which is basically the doors, shoulders and rear bumper cover.

Tomorrow will clay bar using a clay bar mitt.

Wednesday will be a light cut and polish, then isopropyl alcohol

Then will give it a ceramic coat
I've highlighted the two important words in your post, perhaps you should have said A busybody?

There is sommat about the fairer sex and them trying to impose their thoughts/morality on others. In 2017 when I had my C-HR delivered my neighbour came out and said "Mark it's only you and Dylan (son) living there and you have three cars?" My response was not what she hoped for....

"Yes Rachel and the driveway will hold 8 and the garage another two, so I still have another 7 to get!!

Needless to say her huff arrived for her and she went off in it

Back on topic, mine was paint corrected and ceramic (glass nano) coated in Nov 2018, every 6 months I apply some Carpro Reload to the whole car inc the glass, so gave it two good washes and did that yesterday in a balmy 17 degrees C. Living by the coast am sure a flock of seagulls will have visited to make their deposits overnight.....but weirdly they seem to avoid white and grey...black and blue they love!

The following 5 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
GGG (04-12-2020), peterv8 (04-09-2020), pwpacp (04-08-2020), Sean W (04-08-2020), Tracee (04-22-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 06:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

My XK is presently doing single figure MpW (Miles per Wash) as we continue in "lockdown" in the UK.

It's BRG but yesterday I noticed a matching coloured fungus in the side window rubber channel that was definitely not OE! Removed the waist rails and cleaned off the offending growth.

Graham

Old 04-12-2020, 03:12 PM
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Went for a 100 mile ride today in western Mass. Twisty hilly roads. I was a bit surprised that there were quite a few people out. I wish this virus thing would end.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

Swapped my diff centre out today f or a pristine low milage one . Whilst poking around I noticed my right hand rear shock has packed it in .....as the left hand side will go soon enough im tempted to go BC coil overs on all corners

The following 2 users liked this post by steve_k_xk:
Queen and Country (04-13-2020), TexasTraveler (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 09:32 AM
Received 342 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Repaired LH tweeter

While waiting in the car for my wife to get done with a medical test, I was examining the driver side tweeter (base audio system) thinking it would be nice to upgrade the speaker system in general.
I lightly! touched the tweeter grill and the whole grill pushed through into the mirror cover revealing the speaker was adrift and dangling by the speaker wires🙀
When I returned home, removed the mirror cover (breaking the larger guide tab in the process of course) which revealed the trim ring flange was broken over about a third of its circumference. The broken trim ring bits must be in the guts of the door somewhere but did find the guide tab at least. The replacement mirror cover was outrageously priced at $300!
For those of you that haven’t had the pleasure of taking this speaker assembly apart, the trim ring is key to holding the speaker base mount in place as well as retaining the grill and keeping the whole lot in the mirror cover. Thanks to JB weld epoxy, I was able glue everything including the guide tab back together and looks good on the outside.... not so pretty on the inside though. Unlikely to ever come apart again. I greased the retainer clips and guides and warmed the assembly under a lamp so it went back on the car nicely.
I will NOT be touching the passenger side tweeter! Not a repair I care to repeat.
Mike

Old 04-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Many of us have had some, not so great, experiences with those door tweeters. I'm glad you found such a great solution to reassembly. I found one at a wrecking yard for my '07 and was lucky enough that it wasn't broken too.
I've also found that the sound from them makes the audio extremely over bright to begin with. My solution was to stretch black automotive wrap over both of them. Now the sound can barely be heard from them from seat distance. A big improvement.

TexasTraveler (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Received 697 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 Cat
Went for a 100 mile ride today in western Mass. Twisty hilly roads. I was a bit surprised that there were quite a few people out. I wish this virus thing would end.
What were the names of the roads? I've been looking for somewhere to drive around ....

Old 04-13-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Many of us have had some, not so great, experiences with those door tweeters. I'm glad you found such a great solution to reassembly. I found one at a wrecking yard for my '07 and was lucky enough that it wasn't broken too.
I've also found that the sound from them makes the audio extremely over bright to begin with. My solution was to stretch black automotive wrap over both of them. Now the sound can barely be heard from them from seat distance. A big improvement.
Yes, my cluge is good enough for now at least. I did find one from a part out but that was still expensive and had a broken guide as well.
I’m still figuring out my audio setting so thanks for your tip on wrapping the tweeter. I’d have to pull it out again though😖
Stay well.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by gkubrak
What were the names of the roads? I've been looking for somewhere to drive around ....
Great area for driving. Had lots of vintage motorbike rides there plus going to the BSO in the summer.

Try to 2 west of I-91to Williamstown. Clark museum is a great destination there if we ever get to congregate again. Williams College also has a good but small art museum.
Rt 8 North of CT/MA line is very good.
Rt 20 to NY rt 22 north ( a scenic highway designation I think) toward Bennington is great too (almost!!! hit a bear on the bike at speed west of Pittsfield hence we have the Jag now and no more motorbikes&#129397.
Drive safely and stay well.
Mike

Old 04-13-2020, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by V7Sport
Yes, my cluge is good enough for now at least. I did find one from a part out but that was still expensive and had a broken guide as well.
I’m still figuring out my audio setting so thanks for your tip on wrapping the tweeter. I’d have to pull it out again though😖
Stay well.
Yes I can confirm that the tweeter delete improves sound dramatically.
Because there is no dedicated amplifier channel for the tweeter. This means if you lower the treble, you also remove it from the superior door speakers.
If you have the treble where it should be, the pillar tweeters are out of phase and in your face. Meaning, it will sound bright and tinny and you will hear it more than the rest of the spectrum. The position of the tweeter is also wrong.
Do this test, listen to a speaker that you like, no put your ear closer to the tweeter than the other drivers, you will hear the bass disappear, midrange thin out and the high frequencies get prominent.

A possible replacement for the tweeter could be a temp and voltage meter- they make some 1" round

guy (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Not done yet as things are never as easy as they should be, but working on going from this

to the new style cover from a 2010 but the bracket on the passenger side would not fit so the correct bracket is on order. Then I noticed this

so more parts on order, so right now it looks like this.

All the paint work is done, just waiting for all the parts to get here. The kicker is I let the guy I bought the cover from have the passenger side bracket as he swore to me they are all the same, well mine are not, but need the other items as well, but am missing some of the the best top down weather of the year right now.

pwpacp (04-14-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 04:18 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New thermostat and water pump

I was filling the engine runs too hot though no overheating
Bought new water pump and thermostat housing a while ago to swap before the hot season. Work went well the day before

The engine runs cooler now so I am happy even though I can’t understand what was wrong
Inspected the removed parts and no visible plastic damage, no sign of loosing coolant, all clean, just haven’t found any reason for the clear improvement.
What was it (no gremlins) ???

Old 04-13-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Yes I can confirm that the tweeter delete improves sound dramatically.
Because there is no dedicated amplifier channel for the tweeter. This means if you lower the treble, you also remove it from the superior door speakers.
If you have the treble where it should be, the pillar tweeters are out of phase and in your face. Meaning, it will sound bright and tinny and you will hear it more than the rest of the spectrum. The position of the tweeter is also wrong.
Do this test, listen to a speaker that you like, no put your ear closer to the tweeter than the other drivers, you will hear the bass disappear, midrange thin out and the high frequencies get prominent.

A possible replacement for the tweeter could be a temp and voltage meter- they make some 1" round
Thanks Q&C
I will do the taste test as you suggest. In looking at the tweeter, it seemed to have a simple RC low pass filter in the signal path. Nothing fancy there. And with my aging ears not sure I can hear the high notes anyway.
My wife is much more discerning and a talented musician/singer so will drag her into the assessment. She hears EVERYTHING!
Best, Mike

Old 04-13-2020, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by V7Sport
Thanks Q&C
I will do the taste test as you suggest. In looking at the tweeter, it seemed to have a simple RC low pass filter in the signal path. Nothing fancy there. And with my aging ears not sure I can hear the high notes anyway.
My wife is much more discerning and a talented musician/singer so will drag her into the assessment. She hears EVERYTHING!
Best, Mike
Funny you should say that. This was a bit of a patriotic purchase for me, (as my handle suggests) so I was quite biased and the car could do no wrong. To have Bowers & Wilkerson was the further nod to keeping it British. B&W popularized the 'British Sound' (tubby bass, neutral midrange and rolled off highs, so the exact opposite of the sound in our car) I am showing off the car to my darling wife who typically is most accommodation of all my delusions- she says the sound is horrible.

The drivers are made by Philips for Philips, and the head unit is made by Harmon Kardon which makes some garbage products.
I think you have the Alpine system, which might be better. Search this forum, Cambo was able to upgrade the sound of the tweeters.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X150 today?