XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What to expect when reconnecting new/recharged battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts
Default What to expect when reconnecting new/recharged battery

I had recently disconnected my 3 year old Walmart Maxx battery for about a week while deep charging and putting it back on the maintainer. I have a 2010 XK 5.0 Luckily my battery is fully charged and fine. I was somewhat concerned about resetting "whatever" once connecting the battery back to the car. Well.....Initially, I got the warning "Apply foot brake and emergency brake" accompanied with a constant beeping when attempting to drive the car. I let the car warm up and eventually that warning went away, but when applying the emergency brake, the brake warning light came on. After a few minutes that too went out and all is well. No warning lights and everything functions as it did previously. It was interesting to see that it does take some time for the car's computer to re learn as well as get all previous settings into the system. Thank God no need to make a trip to the dealer.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

That sounds right. I think it's recommended to drive it around a bit too so it can relearn idle and such. Also, you'll need to reset the power windows. There's a procedure posted somewhere here I'm sure someone will post a link to.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
That sounds right. I think it's recommended to drive it around a bit too so it can relearn idle and such. Also, you'll need to reset the power windows. There's a procedure posted somewhere here I'm sure someone will post a link to.
Thanks Shemp.... Yes, I remember my Indy resetting my windows over 3 years ago when I first replaced this battery. I did play with all the windows, fully opening and closing.....The slight automatic window adjustment when opening the doors works as well. I DO NOT remember if our windows have the one touch close feature as I need to hold the window switch down when closing the windows. Is that how our windows function? Are there any other reasons for resetting the windows? Thanks again.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Hold UP until window UP and another three seconds. Hold UP again for Another three seconds. Hold DOWN until window DOWN and another three seconds. Hold DOWN again for another three seconds.
This is needed for Auto Up and Auto Down, and also Global Open (if activated) and also for the window drop on opening. Of course convertibles absolutely need it for the top to operate.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
bocatrip (05-25-2021), Boga (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Hold UP until window UP and another three seconds. Hold UP again for Another three seconds. Hold DOWN until window DOWN and another three seconds. Hold DOWN again for another three seconds.
This is needed for Auto Up and Auto Down, and also Global Open (if activated) and also for the window drop on opening. Of course convertibles absolutely need it for the top to operate.
Thanks Cee Jay... This is what I found on line for resetting our windows. They mention listening for a "click" Does this look right?

Resetting the windows on your Jaguar

So your automatic feature doesn't work on your Jaguar anymore? It's ok, nothing's broken. This usually happens because somebody disconnected the battery and the settings for the windows were lost. In other words, the car needs to re-learn where the limits for the windows are. This is very simple to do.

Your switch has 5 positions. We'll call them:
  • "-2" which is the switch all the way down for automatic down
  • "-1" which is the switch slightly down for bringing the window down manually
  • "0" which is the switch just sitting on its normal position
  • "1" which is the switch slightly up for bringing the window up manually
  • "2" which is the switch all the way up for automatic up
The reset procedure is very simple:
  1. Shut the radio off and other source of noises, you are going to be looking for a little "click"
  2. Hold the switch of the window you wish to re-teach the limits in position "-1". Even after the window is all the way down, keep holding it and listen for a little click. When you hear it go to the next step.
  3. Hold the switch on position "1". Again, even after the window is all the way up keep holding it and listen for a "click".
  4. That is it! Simple enough huh?! Repeat for all windows and you are all set!
Does this apply to our cars??

Old 05-25-2021, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Gotta set both directions. The above only dictates one direction.
If auto-up OR auto-down doesn't operate, simply reset that direction. Hold past travel for three seconds, release and re-hold same direction another three seconds. Clicks can be heard, but they happen anyway.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Gotta set both directions. The above only dictates one direction.
If auto-up OR auto-down doesn't operate, simply reset that direction. Hold past travel for three seconds, release and re-hold same direction another three seconds. Clicks can be heard, but they happen anyway.
Windows are reset! Easy Peasy.....Thanks all.

The following 2 users liked this post by bocatrip:
Cee Jay (05-25-2021), shemp (05-26-2021)