XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What keys/manuals comes with an XK/R from dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default What keys/manuals comes with an XK/R from dealer?

What all comes in the "owner kit"...how many and what kind of keys?

Owner manuals? etc? I am picking up a dark grey 07 XKR tomorrow morning. Unfortunately they say they only have 1 key. This will be the first car I've owned that uses the "Start/Stop" button.

As I understand it, you only need the key FOB in your pocket/in the car and then you can start the car with the start/stop button? Is that correct? or does the key have to be inserted into the ignition?

I guess you all need to educate me on what I should know when I pick up the car. Please be gentle.

Appreciate any info provided...

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Luckly mine came with both keys. They didn't know it, but someone had stuck the second one in the slot in the glovebox. I also didn't get the books with mine but I found them on Ebay for 25.00 including leather binder. Your remote is what's the killer. You can get them cheap off Ebay but you'll have to go to the dealer for programming. And of course if you want the key blade to match, it's another 250.00.

Just have the key fob in your pocket and everything works. Mine didn't want to do the unlock part with just the fob in the pocket but I finally got it working. You should just be able to walk up to it, pull the handle and it see the fob allowing you to open the door. It will flash the lights twice, unlocking and allowing access.

Last edited by 07XKJaguar; 04-07-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

On March 19th I picked up a CPO 2008 XK Conv from the dealer. It came with two key fobs, both with the key blade inside. It came with a manual as well, but before I picked up the car I asked the salesman to make sure it came with a manual. They are pretty cheap if they don't give you a free manual, and you should tell them you want a second key as well at their expense. No reputable dealer would give you only one key. Suppose you lost it? If I was you I would call the dealer ahead of time and make sure he's giving you a manual and strongly request the second key as well. But that's easy for me to say at my end of a computer screen.
Jay

Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Thanks Jay. I actually did call and he says there is a spare key, and one remote. I will get another remote on my own dime.

Originally Posted by Jay057
On March 19th I picked up a CPO 2008 XK Conv from the dealer. It came with two key fobs, both with the key blade inside. It came with a manual as well, but before I picked up the car I asked the salesman to make sure it came with a manual. They are pretty cheap if they don't give you a free manual, and you should tell them you want a second key as well at their expense. No reputable dealer would give you only one key. Suppose you lost it? If I was you I would call the dealer ahead of time and make sure he's giving you a manual and strongly request the second key as well. But that's easy for me to say at my end of a computer screen.
Jay

Old 04-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not 100% sure what you mean by a spare key and a remote. I was given two remotes and each one has an integral key that slides into the middle of it and normally stays there, unless valet parking, in which case you pull out and hold onto the key and give the attendant the remote after setting a valet code. You first use the key to lock the glove compartment. With the valet code set, they can't access the trunk or change any touchscreen settings. Since the key is supposed to normally stay in the remote, you still run the risk of having nothing if you lose them both. Also, I am not sure the car will start with just the key, I think you need the remote.