XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What kind of leather conditioner do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default What kind of leather conditioner do you use?

There are tons of them for sale but is there a really good one to use on these cars?

I have heard of Hide Food but have never tried it. Does anybody use one that is excellent, like Zaino is to the paint?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use nothing but ZAINO products on all my cars. I was introduced to it back in 1999 from Corvette Forum members.

It smells so seductive I stow the saturated rag under a seat so the scent lasts longer.

Specifically I use Z9 and Z10. Here's the web site

Zaino Bros': Zaino Store

Tom

The following users liked this post:
rscultho (06-24-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,317 Likes on 3,464 Posts
Default Best leather (and touchscreen) cleaner

My 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible came from the factory with a 100ml spray bottle of leather cleaner and conditioner with the Jaguar logo. That bottle was affixed to the left side of the trunk. The label does not identify the manufacturer. That product is odorless, clear, and has a very thin viscosity. If anyone knows the identity of the manufacturer, let us know. My upholstery is 2-tone, ivory and slate blue.

I recently noticed some very little black spots all over my seats and touchscreen. I have no idea how they got there (I drive alot with the top down) and they looked like paint overspray. I tried cleaning the touchscreen using cottonballs saturated with (1) water, (2) Windex, and (3) alcohol, but nothing worked. I didn't want to use any solvents (like Goo Gone or Goof-Off) for fear of damaging the touchscreen. I tried removing the spots from the seats using a soft rag saturated with (1) the Jaguar product and (2) my Lexol leather cleaner, but neither worked. So, I went to Amazon.com and searched for "leather conditioner" in the Automotive section, sorted by Average Customer Review, and read the reviews. Based on the reviews, I decided to buy the Griot's Garage 11259 Leather Care Spray Kit for $24.99. Definitely not cheap (but worth it in my case - read on...)

Griot's leather cleaner is a clear liquid, slightly thick, and I suspect it might be liquid glycerine soap. I put a little on a soft rag and rubbed with my fingertip in small circles and the spots came off in less than a minute. Griot's cleaner did not change the color of my seats. I can't attest as to the effectiveness of Griot's leather conditioner, since it has been less than 2 weeks since I applied it to my dash, door panels, and seats. Griot's conditioner is similar to the Jaguar product; both are clear, odorless, and very thin. I guess they are thin in order to penetrate the leather, instead of just sitting on top.

Since Griot's leather cleaner worked well on my seats, I thought I'd try a little in the corner of my touchscreen to see if it would remove the overspray. I used the same method as on my seats and, to my surprise, it removed the overspray and my touchscreen was like new without any scratches or residue.

I previously used Lexol (both their cleaner and conditioner) on my LS460. Lexol's conditioner is totally different from Griot's conditioner. Lexol is thicker and has a lanolin odor, which I didn't care for. As for Lexol's effectiveness, I guess it's OK, but it left my seats feeling a little sticky for a day until it completely soaked in and dried. Not so with Griot's leather conditioner - it soaks in immediately and doesn't leave a shiny, reflective residue - perfect for the dashboard.

My point is that any product that moisturizes leather without changing the color is fine to keep it from drying out and shrinking. You just have to reapply it often enough, depending on your climate conditions. Just be aware that a conditioner that works well on dark leather might discolor light-colored leather. You don't have to spend alot to get a product that works well. Check the Amazon reviews to find a product that suits your needs.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That's a good review by Stuart ,
rscultho, you can check in Detailing Forums or Interior if you like

Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Tom. I don't know why I did not look to see if they had leather products. I just ordered both the cleaner and conditioner. If it is as good as the paint stuff, I can't wait to try it!!!

The Zaino stuff is fantastic.

Originally Posted by TomServo
I use nothing but ZAINO products on all my cars. I was introduced to it back in 1999 from Corvette Forum members.

It smells so seductive I stow the saturated rag under a seat so the scent lasts longer.

Specifically I use Z9 and Z10. Here's the web site

Zaino Bros': Zaino Store

Tom

Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for your info - glad you got it clean.

Most definitely want to keep it treated - especially with the issues some have had with the leather pulling away on the dash.

Originally Posted by Stuart S
My 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible came from the factory with a 100ml spray bottle of leather cleaner and conditioner with the Jaguar logo. That bottle was affixed to the left side of the trunk. The label does not identify the manufacturer. That product is odorless, clear, and has a very thin viscosity. If anyone knows the identity of the manufacturer, let us know. My upholstery is 2-tone, ivory and slate blue.

I recently noticed some very little black spots all over my seats and touchscreen. I have no idea how they got there (I drive alot with the top down) and they looked like paint overspray. I tried cleaning the touchscreen using cottonballs saturated with (1) water, (2) Windex, and (3) alcohol, but nothing worked. I didn't want to use any solvents (like Goo Gone or Goof-Off) for fear of damaging the touchscreen. I tried removing the spots from the seats using a soft rag saturated with (1) the Jaguar product and (2) my Lexol leather cleaner, but neither worked. So, I went to Amazon.com and searched for "leather conditioner" in the Automotive section, sorted by Average Customer Review, and read the reviews. Based on the reviews, I decided to buy the Griot's Garage 11259 Leather Care Spray Kit for $24.99. Definitely not cheap (but worth it in my case - read on...)

Griot's leather cleaner is a clear liquid, slightly thick, and I suspect it might be liquid glycerine soap. I put a little on a soft rag and rubbed with my fingertip in small circles and the spots came off in less than a minute. Griot's cleaner did not change the color of my seats. I can't attest as to the effectiveness of Griot's leather conditioner, since it has been less than 2 weeks since I applied it to my dash, door panels, and seats. Griot's conditioner is similar to the Jaguar product; both are clear, odorless, and very thin. I guess they are thin in order to penetrate the leather, instead of just sitting on top.

Since Griot's leather cleaner worked well on my seats, I thought I'd try a little in the corner of my touchscreen to see if it would remove the overspray. I used the same method as on my seats and, to my surprise, it removed the overspray and my touchscreen was like new without any scratches or residue.

I previously used Lexol (both their cleaner and conditioner) on my LS460. Lexol's conditioner is totally different from Griot's conditioner. Lexol is thicker and has a lanolin odor, which I didn't care for. As for Lexol's effectiveness, I guess it's OK, but it left my seats feeling a little sticky for a day until it completely soaked in and dried. Not so with Griot's leather conditioner - it soaks in immediately and doesn't leave a shiny, reflective residue - perfect for the dashboard.

My point is that any product that moisturizes leather without changing the color is fine to keep it from drying out and shrinking. You just have to reapply it often enough, depending on your climate conditions. Just be aware that a conditioner that works well on dark leather might discolor light-colored leather. You don't have to spend alot to get a product that works well. Check the Amazon reviews to find a product that suits your needs.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Zaino is awesome stuff. Wish we could carry it here, but we have some non-compete contracts with other vendors.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a kit from the zaino guys. I hope it really works as well as advertised, if so worth every penny.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Got the Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner yesterday. That stuff is outstanding!

The smell is fantastic. Works well on my seats - makes the leather look new.

I had to do what Tom did - put some on a small rag and put it under the passenger seat.

Smells great!!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

+1

Coming in late here.....

My experience and opinion is that if your leather is in good condition *any* of the usual leather conditions work well to *keep* it in good condition. If your leather is drying out some products seem to work better than others in bringing it back to life. Leatherique, for example, is almost univerally praised for its restoritive qualities.

A pal of mine has been using ordinary, non-exotic, inexpensive Meguiers on his leather for years. His car is 11 years old and the leather is "like buttah" :-). Over the years I've spent $$$$ on various conditioners and I can't honestly say my results are any better.

I really think the key to sucess isn't so much what product you use but, rather, that you take care of the leather from day one and never stop.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexol, Cleaner and Conditioner. A little goes a long way. Clean the leather when cool in the evening and wipe the excess conditioner off in the morning. Repeat every 3 to 4 months and your leather will be in good shape.

Lexol cleaner also works magic on cloth seat stains.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

My experience and opinion is that if your leather is in good condition *any* of the usual leather conditions work well to *keep* it in good condition.

I really think the key to sucess isn't so much what product you use but, rather, that you take care of the leather from day one and never stop.

Cheers
DD
I totally agree. At only four years old I shouldn't have to require leather conditioner to "restore" my interior to look and feel like new. As a lifelong equestrian, I have always relied on plain old saddle soap to maintain leather products and keep them pliable and soft, and that is what I use on my '07 XK convertible. It's super cheap and easy to use, but there is a short waiting time until it dries and doesn't feel tacky to the touch.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Swisswax leather cleaner and milk. Smells awesome and a till goes a long way. The bonus is, it has no shine which is nice on the top grain leather jag uses. Great job on the steering wheel which gets smooth and shiny from contaminants from your hands. It got it clean without being harsh and it looked fresh out of factory again with a nice grippy feel. The milk is nice to use on the dash ....it stays a bit glossy for a few minutes then it absorbs in and leaves a nice matte finish like factory. Being in the sun is tough on leather and it was nice knowing it wasn't too harsh using it regularly, especially with the leather pulling away from the dash issues I keep hearing about. As "buggy" as the electrical problems and glitches or quirks we have with our cats, they are a gorgeous car. I wish they would clean up those pesky glitches though!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

I just purchased the Zaino leather cleaner and the leather in a bottle product. I agree with previous posts - great products and leave behind a really pleasant odor! I'd like to try their wax as well and compare it to the Autoglym products from England that I've used for many years. Will post if I do.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I am surprised no one has ever mentioned Leatherique , I have read many good reviews on their products

Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Zaino must have changed the formula for the Z10 over the years. I remember buying some in the early 2000s for my Vette and it didn't smell that nice. Might have to give the Z10 a try again......

Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I use "Leather Honey" (especially on my leather dashboard) AWESOME stuff. Made my dry, dingy dashboard look smooth, dark, supple, and BRAND NEW!

And it l.a.s.t.s........

Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My Zaino leather conditioner came in today's mail! First application will come after work!