XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What To Look For In Purchase Of A 2011-14 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 01:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What To Look For In Purchase Of A 2011-14 Convertible

Am in the process of looking into the purchase of a 2011-14 XK/XKR convertible. looked into both the F Type and the XK,s and looks like a XK is the way to go (I think the XK’s are better looking anyway). The F Type is a bit better performance wise but seems the early models 2013-14 (in my budget range) have a lot of problems, more so then the XK’s anyway. So I am looking for advice on what’s to look for when searching for a 2011-14 convertible other then the “normal” things like mileage, accident and repair history and general upkeep.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

Most of the XK / XKR issues are well documented on this forum. Use the search function for more details on each of them.

I currently own a 2010 XKR which I bought 4 years ago, so I have experience with these cars in the exact 7-10 year old range you are looking at.

IMHO all of the issues I am going to list WILL happen to these cars. It is NOT AN IF, it is simply a matter of time as to when they will happen.

1. The leather on the dash will shrink and the glue holding it down will fail. Thus you will start with bubbles or wrinkles in the leather and end up with bare spots usually starting nearer the windshield. This can also happen in other spots such as near the rear windows,
2. The super-charger isolation coupler disc will wear out (due to design) and start to make a nasty noise similar to rocks tumbling around in a dryer.
3. The water pump will fail.
4. The adaptive headlights will give a dash warning with a flashing light. May only be an annoyance or the headlight module may actually fail.
5. The rear window glass in the convertible will fall out once the adhesive fails after about 10 years.
6. The main battery will need replacing every 2-4 years. Various electrical issues and lights will display when it is time for a new one.
7. The rear diff. will shutter when making slow sharp turns, especially from a stop. (Usually a rear diff fluid change will solve this issue.)
8. Intermittent issues with the center console screen.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagRag:
Mark Anthony (12-26-2021), robtroxel (07-22-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Budget for suspension bushings and your car will drive like a new car after be like that for many years.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:06 AM
loz
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I own a 2012 XK convertible, now with 58,000 miles. I have had the car for 5 years. I love the car, but of course there have been issues.... They were...
1. Center screen failure (replaced...hard to find now)
2. AC Compressor failure (recent)
3. Rear suspension bushings/trailing arms
3. Water pump failure

The following users liked this post:
robtroxel (07-22-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Water pumps are well known issue on the car, but I think there is a reliable water pump now being offered.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Two things: When replacing the water pump make sure you get the latest iteration. That way, it should be a one time fix. And get yourself a battery tender. Lots of Forum members use the CTEK which you can find on Ebay or Amazon. If your car is not going to be a daily driver the battery tender will help to minimize battery issues. I have now been driving three different XKs 13 years and have not had the dashboard leather pulling issue. When the dashboard is in direct sunlight I place a sunblocker under the windshield. They can be bought for around $50.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
harleydave (07-22-2021), mosesbotbol (07-19-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Water pumps are well known issue on the car, but I think there is a reliable water pump now being offered.
There were approximately 8 updates for the 5.0 (2010-2015) water pumps. The latest was in 2015 which might have been Italian made. I have not heard of failures for this 2015 update. Unfortunately, as notorious as the 5.0 water pump was.... the plastic connectors and hoses, over time, were actually more of a weaker link than the water pump. 4.2 Jags had much less issues with their cooling systems.

mosesbotbol (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

When assessing a used Jaguar as a potential purchase, I'm as interested in the PO as I am in the vehicle history. One owner is usually a good sign but a rapid change of ownership rings alarm bells.

Major engine or transmission issues aren't anywhere near as frequent as you may think by perusing the forum threads. People usually come to forums like this with issues rather than to report their vehicle runs like a dream.

If you don't have experience of Jaguars, they are a complex vehicle and an independent engineering appraisal is a sensible precaution before signing on the line. Not cheap but a lot less than later finding powertrain or suspension repairs are required and not covered by warranty.

It's usually the small things that take the gloss off ownership of these vehicles. Missing or non-functioning smartkeys (there should be 2) and damaged or missing trim items are regular questions and can be surprisingly expensive to replace.

The XK has a lot of switches and settings. Get hold of a copy of the Owner's Handbook to understand them and then check everything works during the test drive. It takes me around fifteen nminutes to check all the settings. Most electrical issues are battery condition related but those that aren't can be expensive.

Graham

Old 07-18-2021, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

I wonder though.... Why was the 2010 and the 2015 omitted from this discussion? A member in the USA, so that doesn't dismiss anything particular.
2010s had factory ACC, which is a $5k option. 2015s are newer.
Weird...

robtroxel (07-22-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 12:17 PM
Received 141 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought a 2010 XK Convert. last fall, 50K miles, really nice condition all the way around.
The first thing I did is take it to a Jag Dealership and had them change all the fluids including a pan drop transmission change.
Then this month I had all new Tire Pressure Sensors installed, took about 2 weeks to get them working correctly.
My top was in very good condition, good even color, very secure window. Tops not a major concern for me as it goes down when I take it out of the barn in the spring and goes back up when I put it away in the fall.
This is my intown summer car, won't drive it unless it's 65+ degrees, sunny, and 0 % chance of rain, I may put less than 3000 miles on it this summer
I did have a slight bubble in my black leather dash, but I was able to fix that.
All that said I'm still not that trustworthy of the car, they are high maintenance, right now I would not feel confident enough to take it on a 300 mile trip, maybe as I get use to it I'll change my mind. I was spoiled with my BMW Z4 which I bought new and kept for 17 trouble free years.
What you will enjoy is a classic car with exceptional ride and performance, a real head turner, something not everyone has and just plain fun to drive.
To me it's a good trade off for things that could go wrong, make sure you have a budget that will keep the car in the condition it deserves.