XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What Say You All?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I think the "powder blue" seals the premise on the nature of their relationship...
I love the pensioner and girly color Jags. More wood and brightwork; the better.

I would've bought a convertible, but there was not enough storage in the boot for my utility requirements. There was a navy blue with blue top, caramel interior, and polished wheels I was so, so close to buying. The matching top really made the car look more coupe like.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I wouldn't worry about the exhaust, it's supported by rubber hangers, just give it a nudge. Worst case, you loosen the clamps to the mid pipes to straighten it out, then tighten them back up again.
Makes me think it's been in an accident.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I love the pensioner and girly color Jags. More wood and brightwork; the better.
it makes a different statement, that one has finally escaped their infantile fears and need for appeasement of their peers. And in that way one becomes the peer.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 04-02-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Both the Jaguar XKR and Porsche are simply stunning. As an owner of both, I can attest they are different cars.

The Jaguar XKR is pure luxury, simple but smooth style.

The Porsche (Cayman, which I own) is a fun sports car with outstanding handling and joy to drive.

If you want Luxury with style the XKR would be my choice.

If you want fun excitement and a real sports car drive the Porsche would be my choice.

The power of the 5.0 liter Jaguar engine will hardly be used to it's full potential on American roads and highways.

The smaller Porsche engine is very economical and fits the size and style of a true mid-engine driving machine.

Whatever you choose you will not be disappointed. I love owning both cars.

2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edtion.....2014 Porsche Cayman 981

Click the image below to expand and click again for full-screen shot.

Attached Thumbnails What Say You All?-dsc_0002.jpg   What Say You All?-dsc_0025.jpg   What Say You All?-dsc_0021.jpg   What Say You All?-dsc_0037.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Mer, I should have some credit in your books based on our first conversation regarding getting the big picture.

this color is not entirely sitting right with me either. I think its best in the sun. something you will never see. There are many colors that need sunlight to make them work. In Seattle Silver really makes sense, as does the sapphire and vapor grey.

and coupe really makes the most sense. The one time the interior gets wet will be the last time you will love it.

if you get this car, pay no more than 38. For 40s, you can get one with the wheels and tires you need. Which will be 4k to upgrade on this.

In Seattle I would have the delicate bushings checked out. If memory serves me right you have some potholes.

The following users liked this post:
Merovean (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I wouldn't worry about the exhaust, it's supported by rubber hangers, just give it a nudge. Worst case, you loosen the clamps to the mid pipes to straighten it out, then tighten them back up again.
Cool, thank you... And thank you for avoiding the thread-jacking.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Both the Jaguar XKR and Porsche are simply stunning. As an owner of both, I can attest they are different cars.

The Jaguar XKR is pure luxury, simple but smooth style.

The Porsche (Cayman, which I own) is a fun sports car with outstanding handling and joy to drive.

If you want Luxury with style the XKR would be my choice.

If you want fun excitement and a real sports car drive the Porsche would be my choice.

The power of the 5.0 liter Jaguar engine will hardly be used to it's full potential on American roads and highways.

The smaller Porsche engine is very economical and fits the size and style of a true mid-engine driving machine.

Whatever you choose you will not be disappointed. I love owning both cars.

2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edtion.....2014 Porsche Cayman 981

Click the image below to expand and click again for full-screen shot.
I was hoping you'd chime in, I've been planning on stalking you based on your garage listing anyway. You have the setup I need, luxury GT, and a pure Sports car. However, that's not going to be a reality for a couple of years anyway, so I think I will be doing the Big GT this time, keep it, and find the pure sports car next time. Also, I've got family in Albuquerque so a few of your pictures looked really familiar.

I understand what you mean about usable power, but I suspect the XKR will be excellent at 0-60, 0-WHATEVER on the on ramps, and fun enough out in the mountains. But yeah, there will be a wasted reserve for sure.

I'm still waffling though... There is something special about a car that really needs to be wound out. Had an RX-8 for a couple of years and loved spinning that angry chainsaw up to the limiter.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Mer, I should have some credit in your books based on our first conversation regarding getting the big picture.

this color is not entirely sitting right with me either. I think its best in the sun. something you will never see. There are many colors that need sunlight to make them work. In Seattle Silver really makes sense, as does the sapphire and vapor grey.

and coupe really makes the most sense. The one time the interior gets wet will be the last time you will love it.

if you get this car, pay no more than 38. For 40s, you can get one with the wheels and tires you need. Which will be 4k to upgrade on this.

In Seattle I would have the delicate bushings checked out. If memory serves me right you have some potholes.
Yeah you're right, no convertible for sure. $38K is about where I was aiming on the Claret car. The wheels are good on all the options I've been looking at, it's the tires on the Silver car in Texas that would need to go, and that only due to my somewhat snob outlook on tires, and that I think Hankook tires don't belong on a beautiful Brit.

The Claret car is also appealing because it's been in the same area, purchased and serviced at the same dealership its entire life. It's also 1000 miles closer. But yeah, I know that color is just going to lay there in the clouds... Suppose I could wrap it... Bright Neon Green or something festive, LOL.

THEN of course I've owned a silver car for the last 3 years, and it's wonderful the way it picks up the colors around it, or alternatively just steadfastly remains Silver on those cloudy drizzly days.

I'm tired of looking for cars, tempted to just "pounce" on this XKR and stop worrying about reliability, service costs, blah blah blah... Though this being the largest stress in my world right now, does tell me that things are pretty OK..

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

That red car is hot, if the numbers work you should go for it. The only red I wasn't so hot on from Jag is the Salsa Red. Did not have elegance as the metallic reds they offer.

I like the metallic paints in the XK over the solids. If there was no bright work, then the solids a fine.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks a great buy, would cost at least twice that price in Australia and I love the Coupe shape

Old 04-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

As an older but "not necessarily wiser" member, I've been driving cars since 1955. I've had and worked on many exotic and classic cars during my life and currently own 2 Jags and a Mercedes. IMHO there is not a better enjoyable riding car than a Jaguar. You might have a better ride in a Bently or Rolls, but not as enjoyable !! The Jaguar convertible is not a "normal" convertible: ther are no rattles, wind noises at high spped when the top is up. When weather is nice, the drive becomes even more memorable. I would not purchase a coupe. May I suggest you find a convertible and at least drive it around the block a few times. You will be hooked..... There are many car "lovers". Once you drive a great Jag, you will be one with that vehicle.
Ken in WV

Old 04-11-2016, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
. I would not purchase a coupe. May I suggest you find a convertible and at least drive it around the block a few times. You will be hooked..... .
Ken in WV
I guess I get to play the opposite side, because the lines of the coupe are just stunning and never fail to turn a head or two. My favorite part by far is where the the hatch area slops down to form those beautiful haunches. Pure art that the Vert does not quite share.
I also tend to be riding the edge of the cars limits (more times than I'd care to admit) just for fun, so when I'm battling the twisties, the more rigid coupe frame lends itself to be pushed a little harder.

Anyhow, apologies to the OP, as the Claret Red car is off the market thanks to me, .....but the liquid Silver is still one of the finest silvers you will find out there. Loved my '07 in silver, and gonna miss her.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Color looks really fine and will change a bit depending on sunlight……. I am biased and prefer the look of the coupe over the convertible. I think the descending rear glass adds to the lines of the car and gives it a sportier wider stance. We all have different tastes and why Jaguar gave us a choice. But then again I also own a (non Jag) convertible.

Last edited by Fstbmw1; 04-12-2016 at 12:27 AM.