XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

What should I look out for with 07-08 XK's

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default What should I look out for with 07-08 XK's

Hi All,

I am interested in what are the common faults with the X150 XK's with the 4.2L. I am not new to Jaguar or the 4.2L, I know they are great reliable engines. What should I look out for when buying a used one? I have wanted a X150 since they came out and I saw one for the first time when I was 12. I think it is time to change that.

How rare is seafrost in the X150's? I am interested in a coupe as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-26-2016, 12:30 AM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

Although this is NOT a common fault, I suggest that you make sure that the transmission is working perfect. When you shift it from P to D check that there are no sudden jolts and knocks. It should just shift into D smoothly with no extra movement. Next try out the reverse. Again make sure it is silky smooth with no sudden strange jolts. And finally take it for a good ride on the highway and make sure it feels right with no slipping. As for common faults, as with any car the biggest one is negligence. Make sure that proper service was done by the previous owners. Other than that, these cars are pretty damn bulletproof.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Sea Frost Green is not a common color, it is however one of my favorites. In 15,000 miles I have had the air conditioner duckbill drain issue and that's it for common issues. Easy one hour fix. Dash leather next to windshield will delaminate if it has not already. Mmmm that's about it for common issue's I'm aware of. Well except for what I consider one of the cars biggest faults... your right foot tends to get real immature when you get behind the wheel, go ahead and BUY ONE!

Old 10-26-2016, 04:43 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

duckbill drain issue
convertible roof window edges (the glue)
Suspension Bushes
Headlight (if you have adaptive lights)
Dashboard leather pullback
Leather in doors getting loose
Pedestrian Sensor (Jaguar charges high for it.. but its an easy fix with a new sensor)

thats about what i had in mine..

Old 10-26-2016, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

I've seen a few users come here with rear differential noise, the design was changed for 2009's.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
How rare is seafrost in the X150's? I am interested in a coupe as well.
That is the color coupe I had and they are the most rare color FWIW.

AC "duck bill" is a major issue as is leaking transmission pan. Electronic Control Modules can go and the rest of the car is solid. I would advice you to go for 2008 so you don't get the Taurus wings or mast antenna. 2007 is a give away look compared to the other years, but is still nice car...

Old 10-26-2016, 08:03 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

My AC compressor gave up on me that was 2500.00 so far that has been it.
I have a 07 coupe

Old 10-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The 07 car is very, very, reliable. I have one of the early 07 coupes and it has been 100% trouble-free. Regarding the "duck-bill" AC drain, my practice is to regularly close the dash vents and run the fans on high to clear those drain tubes - and that has worked nicely.
Regarding the dash leather pulling: this is most frequent in the cars used in very high ambient heat areas, and on cars whose owners do not use windshield screens and who do not use leather conditioner regularly - the majority of the 07 cars have the all-leather "luxury" interior (you can tell if you have this because the seats have horizonal pleats, as opposed to the "ordinary" seats which have a vertical strip of leather in the middle of the cushion).
Again, my 07 has perfect leather on the dash and seats and doors with no pulling, so this issue is by no means universal. Finally, be aware that low battery voltage will cause all sorts of random electrical symptoms all of which are related to battery output and nothing else. The solution: use a CTEK or similar maintenance charger when the car is not being driven.
Fabulous cars in every way, and the 4.2 has much more power and speed than can be legally used anywhere. Some seem to need/want the supercharged version but in the real world, completely unnecessary. Oh I forgot: the fuel economy on the 4.2 non-supercharged is amazingly good!

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
elindo (10-26-2016), ralphwg (10-27-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 10:14 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Headliner sagging down is also common. More common in high heat areas. It eventually will fail and need to be replaced. Overall a very mechanically reliable car.

Joe

Old 10-30-2016, 01:48 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

New to the forum, and this is a great post, that helps me zero in on the right year

Old 10-30-2016, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The 07 car is very, very, reliable. I have one of the early 07 coupes and it has been 100% trouble-free. Regarding the "duck-bill" AC drain, my practice is to regularly close the dash vents and run the fans on high to clear those drain tubes - and that has worked nicely.
Regarding the dash leather pulling: this is most frequent in the cars used in very high ambient heat areas, and on cars whose owners do not use windshield screens and who do not use leather conditioner regularly - the majority of the 07 cars have the all-leather "luxury" interior (you can tell if you have this because the seats have horizonal pleats, as opposed to the "ordinary" seats which have a vertical strip of leather in the middle of the cushion).
Again, my 07 has perfect leather on the dash and seats and doors with no pulling, so this issue is by no means universal. Finally, be aware that low battery voltage will cause all sorts of random electrical symptoms all of which are related to battery output and nothing else. The solution: use a CTEK or similar maintenance charger when the car is not being driven.
Fabulous cars in every way, and the 4.2 has much more power and speed than can be legally used anywhere. Some seem to need/want the supercharged version but in the real world, completely unnecessary. Oh I forgot: the fuel economy on the 4.2 non-supercharged is amazingly good!
You mentioned that the fuel economy on the NA 4.2 is amazingly good

I'm currently averaging 18.5l/100km I'm pretty sure that would be on par with the supercharged variety

Old 10-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Steve:
There is something wrong with your car or you have attached lead weights to your right foot if your fuel consumption is 18.5 litres per 100 kms.!
My Canadian-specification XK *regularly* gets 8 l(eight) litres per 100 kms on the highway and often as low as 7.8, and I do not drive like an old lady; I have tickets to prove that. I do not use the car for short city runs - if I did, that would raise my fuel consumption but it would not double it!
I had this same 4.2 engine in my 04 XJ8 and highway consumption was just about the same as I get in my XK. I use 91 octane fuel (North American rating), the specified Castrol 5W30 oil, and tire pressures 2 lbs above specified (30/33). I repeat that they are amazingly economical given the performance. Perhaps your engine needs to be checked? Or is Australian air the culprit? Or is it the modifications you have made?

Last edited by sov211; 10-30-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

My vehicle is only used very rarely on the highway so all my driving is city/traffic based

The upgraded cats did increase consumption but not by s huge amount prehaps 1L/100km

I just took a look at redbook and they had the urban consumption listed at 17.1L/100km and combined at 11.3L/100km

Yes so on freeways it does appear to be very economical but in day to day general driving it can be just as thirsty as the supercharged variety

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 10-30-2016 at 02:04 PM.