A6 4.2.
Regards,

The following users liked this post:
steve_k_xk (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
This is my first Jag, so I cannot claim any loyalty to the brand.
My second car is a Lexus, but that was my first Japanese car, so I can't claim any loyalty to that brand or country either (but I did buy it used, 15 years ago, and it just keeps running).
Previously, I guess I was a loyal GM owner, only getting the Lexus because after getting married my wife was uncomfortable driving my Caddy when she had to, said it was too 'big' for her (she's only owned, and still does, small Japanese cars). I drove the Caddy until it 'gave up the ghost' and then got the Lexus (in all but one case, I drive 'em till the die).
Ive worked on a few Lexus and I can say their built quality and reliability is second to none .
The most recent was a late model ls470 and for a standard vehicle I was very impressed with all the suspension components made out of light weight alloy

Old 07-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by apost8n8
My everyday/family car is a 2015 MB GL550. I really like it! We had a 2011 GL450 before it which honestly I didn't like as much. My wife even said that was our last Mercedes. It was just plain, had the mbtex interior which we didnt like and its look was kind of average. The newer 550's details and materials are way nicer, the leather seats are so much better, and I think they finally perfected the vehicle after many years. I'm really happy with it. The new 550 has a much bigger engine than the 450 and for its size is amazingly responsive.

We test drove the RR-sport and Lexus LX. The sport drove great but I just thought for the price the interior was a little too plain. The big RR was much more like what i wanted but the price was just outrageous, imho. The Lexus was great and had everything we wanted but the 2015LX was just a very dated design and it felt huge and boxy. I think the 2016LX is "all new" but i haven't looked at it. It does have that huge Lexus grill which is a turn-off to me. We had a 2006? gx470 which was well designed, comfortable, capable, etc. and thought Lexus was a great company and i would have been happy to return to them as a customer.
Like yourself I have also owned a Ml in fact it was the Ml63 with the n/a 6.2
The reason we sold it was due to the outrageous fuel consumption it was well over 23L/100km

How does the ml550 go with fuel Id imagine it would be quite efficient ?

Old 07-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snide72
My Jag is my daily driver and my NSX Targa (5-speed manual) is my 'second' car. They are as different as night and day ... but I love them both the same!
Always had a soft spot for the NSX

For some reasons I find that the xk never "feels" as fast as its travelling, Im sure the NSX would most be the opposite and actually feel quicker than its really going

Old 07-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

My daily driver has been a Jag for around the last 27 years but my wife drives cars from other manufacturers, currently an Audi S4 wagon. We also kept her old car, a 3.0L Subaru Outback, so I now often drive that when it is threatening to rain because it is such a pain trying to keep a black XKR looking nice. Luckily it doesn't rain here much!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by White Bear
A6 4.2.
Regards,
White Bear since you have driven and owned both the n/a 4.2 from audi and jaguar I would love to hear your opinion on how similar or potentially different these motors perform in everyday usage

Old 07-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
My daily driver has been a Jag for around the last 27 years but my wife drives cars from other manufacturers, currently an Audi S4 wagon. We also kept her old car, a 3.0L Subaru Outback, so I now often drive that when it is threatening to rain because it is such a pain trying to keep a black XKR looking nice. Luckily it doesn't rain here much!
I also have black and your not wrong its an absolute nightmare to keep clean !

Old 07-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Jeep Wrangler - utility vehicle for towing jetski, transporting dog, general fun
CBR1000RR motorcycle - for neck snapping acceleration and performance
Chevy Malibu - free company car

Old 07-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Like yourself I have also owned a Ml in fact it was the Ml63 with the n/a 6.2
The reason we sold it was due to the outrageous fuel consumption it was well over 23L/100km

How does the ml550 go with fuel Id imagine it would be quite efficient ?
I think we get ~16mpg or 14.7L/100km.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts

The XK is my daily driver which replaced a 1991 XJS which replaced a 1983 XJS. Option 2 = 1973 Triumph TR6 (bought new in 1973). Option 3 = 1982 Ferrari Mondial (bought in 2004).

Old 07-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by apost8n8
I think we get ~16mpg or 14.7L/100km.
Thats pretty much what I also get out of the e550

As for the Xk it has just creeped into the 18L/100km zone

Old 07-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,294 Likes on 3,454 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Ive worked on a few Lexus and I can say their built quality and reliability is second to none. ...
LOL! My experience was the polar opposite. Don't fall for their "relentless pursuit of perfection" marketing hype - it's total BS.

I bought my 2007 LS460 brand new in 12/2007 with most options, $72K MSRP, got a good deal at end of model year (or so I thought ). Beautiful car, but...
1. Dashboard rattling. R&R dashboard, replaced clips at base of windshield with slightly thicker ones under warranty.
2. Excessive wind noise. Replaced F&R, R&L single-pane glass with double-pane glass under warranty. Better, but still noisy when windy outside. Tried to fix 3 times, finally gave up and lived with that minor annoyance.
3. Defective engine valve recall. 48 valves replaced under warranty. Less than 15K miles when done.
4. Defective fuel rail safety recall, fire hazard. Aluminum rail replaced with stainless steel rail under warranty.
5. Driver's side view mirror stopped folding. Out of warranty cost to replace $950. No thanks.
6. Airbag warning light, intermittent at 35K miles. Safety hazard because when light comes on the airbags are disabled. Dealer diagnosed bad wiring harness under dash, initially refused to cover under warranty because 4 years and 9 months old but relented because I had also previously bought a new RX350 for my wife from them. Dealer said they'd pay for the parts ($2,400) if I'd pay for the labor. Charged me for 18 hours labor at discounted rate of $90/hr., $1,620 that I paid with my AmEx. Shortly thereafter, I got the TSB on that "non-recall" that called for repair time of 7 hours. I informed the General Manager that unless I received their refund check for over billing me 11 hours ($990) within 24 hours they would leave me no choice but to dispute that charge with AmEx and pursue my legal remedies. They FedEx'd their check to me the next day. Shortly thereafter, I traded that POS460 for my CPO 2013 XJ SC and am glad I did. No Takata for me. And no more unscrupulous, dishonest Lexus dealer for me, ever again.

I might have forgotten a few other problems. The airbag defect and dishonest dealer (from whom I bought 3 Lexus vehicles) was the last straw. Toyota and Lexus will never get another penny from me.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

My other car that I drive on a semi-regular basis is my 2002 XKR 'vert. My wife has the big Buick Enclave (p.o.s.). The other cars in my signature are in various stages of rebuilding. I should have the Pantera back next month to try for some fun. New 500hp engine (about a 2800lb car), new paint, extended cooling system.....should be fun.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a couple of other cars to drive….. all depends on the need or mood. The XK is my second Jag but certainly not loyal to the brand. I like oldies, right now shopping for a 67 big block Corvette or a mid 90's F355…. can't decide. Bad idea to buy both

Old 07-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RRS - lots of choice

Hi,

My wife has the 2012 RRS and I have the 2010 XKR, both with the same engine. When I need something more practical, I enjoy swapping for the Sport hugely. We've used it to tow a 2 1/2 tonne boat, go camping, drive over some huge sand dunes, and occasionally, to educate sports cars at the traffic light grand prix.

The car is genuinely a pleasure to drive, which isn't something that can always be said for a 4x4. The RRS has been less reliable than the Jag, needing a coupe of high pressure hoses, and AC compressor and a suspension sensor repair.

The diesels are great, but as we 'limit' ourselves to a car each, the supercharged version ensure that my wife doesn't feel as though she's missing out on the toys stakes.

There are quite a few around our neck of the woods, but it still seems to be a head-turner. I've a great photo of some tourists standing on the Lancelin sand dunes, ignoring the view and taking photos of the car.

I haven't driven the new shape RRS, but if you're considering the 2012 or earlier, please ask away. I'd also recommend this site for a quick read on both models: Range Rover - Australian Land Rover Owners

Cheers,

Rob

The following users liked this post:
steve_k_xk (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RobB
Hi,

My wife has the 2012 RRS and I have the 2010 XKR, both with the same engine. When I need something more practical, I enjoy swapping for the Sport hugely. We've used it to tow a 2 1/2 tonne boat, go camping, drive over some huge sand dunes, and occasionally, to educate sports cars at the traffic light grand prix.

The car is genuinely a pleasure to drive, which isn't something that can always be said for a 4x4. The RRS has been less reliable than the Jag, needing a coupe of high pressure hoses, and AC compressor and a suspension sensor repair.

The diesels are great, but as we 'limit' ourselves to a car each, the supercharged version ensure that my wife doesn't feel as though she's missing out on the toys stakes.

There are quite a few around our neck of the woods, but it still seems to be a head-turner. I've a great photo of some tourists standing on the Lancelin sand dunes, ignoring the view and taking photos of the car.

I haven't driven the new shape RRS, but if you're considering the 2012 or earlier, please ask away. I'd also recommend this site for a quick read on both models: Range Rover - Australian Land Rover Owners

Cheers,

Rob
Thanks Rob

Yes we are looking at pre 2012 and I know its the devils work but since its our family car it has to be in diesel

Along with diesel it needs to have tan interior, navy or black exterior and once purchased Ill fit up the stormer wheels in 22'' then it should look the part

Old 07-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
LOL! My experience was the polar opposite. Don't fall for their "relentless pursuit of perfection" marketing hype - it's total BS.

I bought my 2007 LS460 brand new in 12/2007 with most options, $72K MSRP, got a good deal at end of model year (or so I thought ). Beautiful car, but...
1. Dashboard rattling. R&R dashboard, replaced clips at base of windshield with slightly thicker ones under warranty.
2. Excessive wind noise. Replaced F&R, R&L single-pane glass with double-pane glass under warranty. Better, but still noisy when windy outside. Tried to fix 3 times, finally gave up and lived with that minor annoyance.
3. Defective engine valve recall. 48 valves replaced under warranty. Less than 15K miles when done.
4. Defective fuel rail safety recall, fire hazard. Aluminum rail replaced with stainless steel rail under warranty.
5. Driver's side view mirror stopped folding. Out of warranty cost to replace $950. No thanks.
6. Airbag warning light, intermittent at 35K miles. Safety hazard because when light comes on the airbags are disabled. Dealer diagnosed bad wiring harness under dash, initially refused to cover under warranty because 4 years and 9 months old but relented because I had also previously bought a new RX350 for my wife from them. Dealer said they'd pay for the parts ($2,400) if I'd pay for the labor. Charged me for 18 hours labor at discounted rate of $90/hr., $1,620 that I paid with my AmEx. Shortly thereafter, I got the TSB on that "non-recall" that called for repair time of 7 hours. I informed the General Manager that unless I received their refund check for over billing me 11 hours ($990) within 24 hours they would leave me no choice but to dispute that charge with AmEx and pursue my legal remedies. They FedEx'd their check to me the next day. Shortly thereafter, I traded that POS460 for my CPO 2013 XJ SC and am glad I did. No Takata for me. And no more unscrupulous, dishonest Lexus dealer for me, ever again.

I might have forgotten a few other problems. The airbag defect and dishonest dealer (from whom I bought 3 Lexus vehicles) was the last straw. Toyota and Lexus will never get another penny from me.

My goodness Im spechless !!

What a long list of problems it seems like everything that could wrong in a car actually did in your case I have never witnessed this many problems with one single car its absolutely mind-blowing.

The most recent Lexus I worked on was a 2013 LS470, I had to rebuilt the entire front end suspension due to a car accident .
The reason I commented on their built quality being second to none was due to the fact that all the suspension components bar the air bag strut was made from light-weight alloy including the sub frame which is something you only see in prestigious manufactures and on top of that the whole set-up was completely thought out very well not just slapped together at the last minute

In your case the only positive I can see to come out of it is the fact your now in a supercharged XJ

Old 07-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,294 Likes on 3,454 Posts

Steve,

I didn't have any problem with all of the warranty work since they provided a nice loaner, usually a GS. Even with all the problems, I was a happy camper ... until the wiring harness issue and their dishonesty. That was the last straw.

You're right about my XJ - much more reliable and far more fun to drive than the LS460. I bought mine CPO (Certified Pre-Owned is a Jaguar North America extension of the factory warranty to 6 years/100,000 miles from the initial in-service date - I don't know if it's available in Australia) in October 2014 and the only repair has been the water pump. There isn't any other sedan (saloon?) that I'd rather have, at least until October 2018 when my CPO warranty expires.

Stuart

Old 07-02-2016, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member

Steve,

I didn't have any problem with all of the warranty work since they provided a nice loaner, usually a GS. Even with all the problems, I was a happy camper ... until the wiring harness issue and their dishonesty. That was the last straw.

You're right about my XJ - much more reliable and far more fun to drive than the LS460. I bought mine CPO (Certified Pre-Owned is a Jaguar North America extension of the factory warranty to 6 years/100,000 miles from the initial in-service date - I don't know if it's available in Australia) in October 2014 and the only repair has been the water pump. There isn't any other sedan (saloon?) that I'd rather have, at least until October 2018 when my CPO warranty expires.

Stuart
That nasty 5.0 water pump you'd think JLR would have rectified that issue by now

Unsure how the warranty works on the xjr over here as its well out of my price reach I happened to stumbled upon a recent one on ebay when performing a 'jaguar' search and it was up near 160k for a 2012 !

Old 07-02-2016, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

In my experience, Toyotas and Lexuses are no less expensive to maintain than the Jags. Yes they feel less fragile than Jags but when they do break it can get very expensive. Check out the ClubLexus forum and you'll see a litany of issues, big and small, for every Lexus model, so they do break, albeit less frequently than Jags.

The sense of 'fragility' has been in all the Jags I have owned. Gotta treat them with a kid glove, not so with the Japanese and German cars.

Quick Reply: What's your second vehicle