XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Wheel spacers frowned upon by tire store

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Cee Jay, the front pushes water out of the way of the rears.

Which makes life easy in a RWD car, just let engine braking settle the front back down. Or if you trust the road banking you can hydroplane the fronts permanently, and push with the rear.

I have sustained the latter condition in my Porsche 944 on the interstate.

In the Jaguar I've taken the former option a few times.

Different parts of the country, "rain" means different things.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 AM
Received 290 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Get four of these if you're avoiding hydroplaning;

20mm ain't gonna do nuthin' to affect hydroplaning. If it's a concern with that extra less-than-an-inch, get rid of your wider rears because evidently they are phenomenally dangerous.

Now stop this crazy talk.
Take a look here. Facts against your opinion.

Do wider tyres give you more grip 225 vs 255 vs 285 wide tyres - Tyre Reviews

10% less aquaplaning resistance is a lot when we are talking about speeds of around 50 mph or so. Easily achieved on a wet dark evening. However, have the larger tyre and you could be down at just 45 mph for the same conditions.

When the 285mm tyre was fitted to the rear, wet performance went down except for the plain braking test where the wider (255 mm) front tyre would be expected to be better.

Those skinnies would be fine as they aren't allowed to exceed 50 mph. However, I would rather have a well balanced car without second guessing what the engineers chose and why. When it come to trusting Mike Crosses team or some bloke on the internet, I'll stick to Mike Cross, thanks.

Back to the OP's question - Just another bloke on the internet, but you can see that randomly changing the scrub angle has quite some side effects and we don't actually know how bad they will be in an emergency situation. Might be a big price to pay for that custom look.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wha...-it-important/

So, make your car look more butch if you want, but when people point out the technical downsides, you might want to take a closer look at them. That's how we learn.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 02:28 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by neilr
Take a look here. Facts against your opinion.

Do wider tyres give you more grip 225 vs 255 vs 285 wide tyres - Tyre Reviews

10% less aquaplaning resistance is a lot when we are talking about speeds of around 50 mph or so. Easily achieved on a wet dark evening. However, have the larger tyre and you could be down at just 45 mph for the same conditions.

When the 285mm tyre was fitted to the rear, wet performance went down except for the plain braking test where the wider (255 mm) front tyre would be expected to be better.

Those skinnies would be fine as they aren't allowed to exceed 50 mph. However, I would rather have a well balanced car without second guessing what the engineers chose and why. When it come to trusting Mike Crosses team or some bloke on the internet, I'll stick to Mike Cross, thanks.

Back to the OP's question - Just another bloke on the internet, but you can see that randomly changing the scrub angle has quite some side effects and we don't actually know how bad they will be in an emergency situation. Might be a big price to pay for that custom look.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wha...-it-important/

So, make your car look more butch if you want, but when people point out the technical downsides, you might want to take a closer look at them. That's how we learn.
You make it sound like my car is totally unsafe and undrivable.:-D

Old 04-29-2019, 04:14 AM
Received 290 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by peterv8
You make it sound like my car is totally unsafe and undrivable.:-D
No, just not ideal. One of the car engineers on the UK forum has just made a similar comment on spacers and why they shouldn't be used:

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1177168

Apparently, the the two parameters that really should not be changed are the positions of the centreline of the tyres (spacer/wrong ET) and the axle height (diameter of the tyres).

One can change many things. One parameter might improve, but a load of other less commonly-occuring ones might become worse. One needs to make changes knowing and accepting the downsides. However, we are not always in a position to really understand the downsides. For example, the ABS one sounds quite significant to me. My car can "safely" apparently reach 280 kph as it left the factory and we do drive quite fast here at times. If I mess with how my car is set up, will it be equally safe at high speeds? It is doubtful, so I mess with such stuff rather reluctantly.

Car designers should know what they are doing and do a lot of testing to get it right. Aftermarket customizers just want to make money. We have to be fairly careful about what they are trying to sell to us and work out for ourselves what could work. Most such components turns out to be overall worse than the standard stuff for everyday road use. It is a bit of a myth that car manufacturers by solely on price. They already have great buying clout, so can afford better stuff at good prices. OE brakes are usually very good, alloy wheels better made and finished than most normal aftermarket stuff., etc.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:24 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

But it looks so much better lowered and with spacers it's worth it!

The following 2 users liked this post by peterv8:
kj07xk (04-29-2019), TexasTraveler (04-29-2019)