XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Whistling.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
I heard it! Mine will whistle for a little bit longer and then go away. I would always hear it in the parking garage at my office.
So I emailed the vid I took to my dealer afternoon and also mentioned the TSB per Brutal. My service guy thinks it's sounds like low charge on the air. It does sounds like that but I think it's something different. Anyhoo.....he told me to stop by tomorrow and I will. I just hope it will while I'm there.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 AM

So I stopped by the dealer this morning and had the car sit for 15 min. and then restart it and the service guy did hear the whistle underneath the dash. He thinks it might be the servo that controls where the air flows to the vents but he won't be able to do anything unless it gets louder. You would think if he can hear the whistle which is not normal that he would be able to fix the servo but instead he said it needs to be louder before he can do anything about it.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

why didnt they just do the tsb to eliminate that as a cause..........friggen morons, why make it so hard........its a known issue and yes it does sound like low on freon. I would have done something on this issue rather than nothing. at least if you came back again it would have been with the understanding that this is what we're gonna do now and it may or may not work...and not make it another trip for what they could do now. At least if its not a normal sound as some things are after we investigate them
AND THIS IS 1 OF THE REASONS WHY MOMETUM JAGUAR WHERE I WORK, GOT JAGUAR'S "PRIDE OF JAGUAR" AGAIN

Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Exactly....wish they would have done something. I even mentioned and showed him the TSB when I was there this morning. I might try another dealer around here as I have 3 others that are between 30-50 min away. I just figured the one I bought the car, serviced and only 15 min away would be best. You would think they would want the biz eventhough it's still warranty work. THe service advisor actually "heard" the whistling in person but again said it needs to get worse before they can do something.

I took another video before I headed to the dealer this morning and again the whistling started right at 00:28 seconds again and this time lasted 'til :0030 seconds. I showed him both vids also.

This is from this morning (different from the vid above from yesterday)......
IMG_2699.mp4 video by lionheadxkr08 - Photobucket

Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad I saw this thread as my 2010 XKR has been doing the same thing! I couldn't tell if it was the main AC unit making the noise or the coolers in the seats.
Time to head to the local dealer with the TSB...

Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

OK here it is. Give your service rep the TSB number and it should be easy from there:

No: JTB00207
Issue: 1
Date: 31 AUG 2010

SECTION: 412
Air Conditioning Whistle Noise

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE: VIN B00001-onwards

CONDITION SUMMARY:

Situation:
A high-pitched whistle noise may be heard at low engine speeds and hot ambient temperatures. This noise may be caused by air flow within the air conditioning pipes.

Action:
In the event of a customer concern of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to install a spacer in to the air conditioning pipe.

The following users liked this post:
doctock993 (08-01-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for posting this thread. I too was hearing this noise and thought it might be a vacuum leak. Checked everything and nothing showed up but still had it. Now that I know it's really nothing but a sound, I can live with it. My closet dealer is a moron anyway and it's a waste of time to ask them to fix anything.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM

WildCat....thank for the info.

So someone I know told me to try this other dealer that he knows one of the mechanics there and so I made an appointment for next Thursday (just been busy this past week and early next). Hopefully they will be able to do something instead of sending me off on my merry way....hahaha.

frogdogfan: Looks like I'm 95% sure I'll be going tomorrow to Supercars Saturday in Bolingbrook (unless my buddy backs out). I'll probably won't be bringing the Jag or SL this time as I want to check to see how organized (I'm sure it is) before I bring one of the cars. My buddy with the 911TT will probably pick me up with is RRS SC and will be there around 10:00am. I know the show ends at 11:00am. Are you bringing the XKR to the show? If so....I'll try to look for ya.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I do have issues with the tweeting/chirping coming from the AC at low power, the repair shop that did the PPI claimed that the AC blower motor needed to be replaced. This work is about $500. I am sure there has got to be a cheaper fix.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer fixed the whistling yesterday, per the TSB. Got the kitty some new shoes from Tire Rack, too, so all is good!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

My car just started doing this exact thing a few weeks back. Its getting hotter out so it makes sense. The sound is the same as that in the video. This forum is great. Im out of warranty so i'm wondering how much the SB would cost to get done. I guess ill cal the dealer on monday.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 160 Likes on 113 Posts

Thank you Brutal, got it in one!
Regards,
White Bear
2008XK.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I have a "dog-whistle" sort of sound. But it appears to come from outside. My 2012 Ford Mustang also made this sound when brand new.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderXKR08
The last few times when I start up my Jag and the A/C is on....I hear a whistling for 3-5 seconds and then it goes away. Only happens when I start up the car....

Any ideas what it could be?
Our XJ8 whistled from the day we bought it in January until last week. Very high pitched, goes away in a few seconds.

Finally discovered what it is......the relay that runs the blower motor is going bad. It failed and no blower for A/C. Replaced the relay this weekend, and no noise all week.

So if your car is making that noise (at least 04 and up XJ8) your relay is going out and you will eventually lose your blower.

I am new to the forum, but will post a how to on replacing the relay with pictures since I just finished the job.

I hope this helps someone.

Chris

The following 2 users liked this post by clmurphy:
amcdonal86 (08-01-2013), GhostriderXKR08 (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

How do you access the blower relay in an X150?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is like the XJ8 (and I assume it is similar) it will be behind the glove box. If you remove the glove box and see the main heating/cooling duct, below that duct will be the blower motor, and above the duct (with wires that lead to your blower) will be the relay.

Two phillips head screws and its out. As usual, the part is easy to remove, but getting to it is the pain.

I will try and get something up early next week as to how to get the glove box out (at least for the X350) and it will give the detail in pictures. I have taken the glove box out twice since buying the car in January, so I am getting good at it.

For us, we waited until the blower quit working to fix it (but she also has a van to drive). If you want to fix it before it quits, I would almost bet your problem is that relay. The parts for the XJ8 areC2C7090 orC2C39577 (the first is the newer version of the part). Not sure if yours will take the same part or not, but when you get it out you can compare it to those parts (I just looked on ebay and found one with a picture).

Let me know if that helps.