XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Why can't it be done

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Yeah, but: from experience, most of us don't look at the gauges until we know there's a problem, usually because a fault indication light comes on. The impeller on my XK8's water pump failed, but I didn't notice until the red warning light came on. The gauge was reading pretty high by then, but I hadn't noticed - concentrating on speed & other traffic, as you tend to on a motorway.

Weirdly, the 5.0 manual makes no reference to an oil pressure sensor, so I don't think it has one. Instead, there are other systems which rely on oil pressure, particularly the variable valve timing, which will give alerts if the pressure is too low.
That might be an interesting survey to take . I'm one of the types that monitors the engine through the gauge set. Back to my 66 XKE where they would have cooling problems. If you saw the gauge going over 195* then you know either the fan didn't turn on or you had a bigger problem. My Corvette's and XJS all had gauges and with the old Ferrari there was one day where my oil pressure gauge went up to 150 PSi for no visible reason. Had to shut down and found the OP relief spring/plunger was binding and if continued to drive would blow a lot of seals. Also watched oil temp. gauge to make sure that track events didn't cook the oil. A volt gauge gave me a quick look at health of the charging system. I haven't seen to many $100K + cars without gauges so I wonder why Jag after all of these years omitted them. By the way does the XKR-S GT have any gauges?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
sure, but unless it was changed in the later models, the oil pressure switch triggers at something like 7psi. far too late to do anything but check the expiry date of the Black Amex.
Yeah that's to bad but if there were such a thing you could mount a sensor in the same hole that would read oil pressure and still mount the low OP sensor. I don't even know yet what the normal running OP is supposed to be . Does anyone know as I would think it would be around 45psi at around 2000 rpm and maybe 60 psi at 4-5K.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
By the way does the XKR-S GT have any gauges?
I believe not - the electronics are the same as any XKR. Russduka can tell you for sure.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Yeah, but: from experience, most of us don't look at the gauges until we know there's a problem, usually because a fault indication light comes on.
It's a matter of training and habit.

Some people make sure the gauges are mounted as part of a scan line. Side mirror, gauges, rear view mirror. The eyes are always moving. A further enhancement is to rotate the gauge body such that "normal" is at top dead center. Very fast to work with.

The safest driver I have ever seen was a priest turned coach driver. His eyes were always moving.

Alarm lights have their uses ... so long as the alarm thresholds are useful. 7'ish psi is not terribly useful. Instead I have purchased a 15/30 psi pressure switch. Turns off at 30 psi rising turns on at 15 psi dropping.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sklimii
I use the ELM327 bluetooth OBDII reader with the Torque Pro app loaded on smart phone or tablet. You can set up the display to show multiple sensors including STFT and LTFT

Still learning all the tricks but think it would suffice - all for under $20

Exactly! An ELM327 and a smart phone with Torque Pro. Done!

Attached Thumbnails Why can't it be done-2014-05-15-13.11.05.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Otter:
SoCal Babe (05-15-2014), tberg (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

Im very annoyed by this as well, pparticularly because I want to do some extensive modding to my '10 XKR. I think im going to go with the Zeitronix and pretty much every sensor they offer. Just havent decided on going with the lcd, the dashpaq, or just a small laptop to display the info I want. Ideally a laptop with a video out somehow hacked into the headunit would be an amazing way to do it!

Old 05-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah that's to bad but if there were such a thing you could mount a sensor in the same hole that would read oil pressure and still mount the low OP sensor. I don't even know yet what the normal running OP is supposed to be . Does anyone know as I would think it would be around 45psi at around 2000 rpm and maybe 60 psi at 4-5K.
Be pre-warned that mounting additional senders is very awkward. Jaguar uses a an odd ball thread. M10x1.25 face seal. Sometimes found in brake lines, but not as a face seal type.

What does work is a turbo oil hose kit for certain turbos using that thread. The tee block at the remote end has 1/8 NPT thread which is quite common. The engine end has the correct thread on the included banjo bolt.

The original oil pressure switch is also normally open as opposed to normally closed. Therefore some circuit work is required.

There is also an additional original oil system sensor on some Jaguar engines that you might be interested in observing. It is an analog oil temperature sender mounted next to the oil pressure switch. The factory wiring ties it to the ECU.

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
Im very annoyed by this as well, pparticularly because I want to do some extensive modding to my '10 XKR. I think im going to go with the Zeitronix and pretty much every sensor they offer. Just havent decided on going with the lcd, the dashpaq, or just a small laptop to display the info I want. Ideally a laptop with a video out somehow hacked into the headunit would be an amazing way to do it!
search arduino and obd-ii together

there is a kit

Old 05-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

OK I'm beating a dead horse here but I am a little gauge ****. We took a nice little 3 hour drive the other day through the NY/CT countryside and I noticed I kept hunting for the gauges like oil pressure and water temperature and voltage. As mentioned before with all of my other fun cars this was an area which you had to keep an eye on and now I'm trying to ween myself of this habit. So with all of the technology (BT , etc.) and the ability to load up contact lists and destinations why wouldn't it be possible to hack in the ability to show a working gauge set on the nav screen and make it an option screen. Lets say 4 gauges , oil pressure , water temp. , voltage and boost pressure. I'm not a computer/SW expert (although I worked in the S/C industry) but surely someone could do it. If not I guess I'll have to go into rehab to resolve my habit. LOL
Ok, this might be a bit over the top, but it *might* just fly

1 GVIF interface to switch video inputs to the nav screen (these modules are commercially available)
2 HDMI to AV cable (AV input to GVIF interface module)
3 (wait for this ) Apple TV box
4 (this as well ) wireless access point

Connections might be as follows:

[Car NAV unit] -- [GVIF module] -- [HDMI to AV cable] -- [Apple TV] -- [wireless AP]

All this would need to fit near the NAV unit at the back. Use mirroring function on the iPhone to display whatever is on the iPhone onto the car console display.

Of course, the above is just conceptual but might just work; it needs some more thinking to check re screen resolution, noise, etc and shouldn't be too intrusive (GVIF module to NAV unit isn't too much of a hassle).

Old 05-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Be pre-warned that mounting additional senders is very awkward. Jaguar uses a an odd ball thread. M10x1.25 face seal. Sometimes found in brake lines, but not as a face seal type.

What does work is a turbo oil hose kit for certain turbos using that thread. The tee block at the remote end has 1/8 NPT thread which is quite common. The engine end has the correct thread on the included banjo bolt.

The original oil pressure switch is also normally open as opposed to normally closed. Therefore some circuit work is required.

There is also an additional original oil system sensor on some Jaguar engines that you might be interested in observing. It is an analog oil temperature sender mounted next to the oil pressure switch. The factory wiring ties it to the ECU.
After having the OP issue with my old Ferrari I had to make a tee fitting to install a gauge at the sending unit so if I had to I would bet I could put something together.

Attached Thumbnails Why can't it be done-dsc00489.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

I believe not - the electronics are the same as any XKR. Russduka can tell you for sure.
The speedometer is ddifferent, the GT reads higher. Something Ive also been wondering, if I could swap in the GT cluster in my '10 XKR

Old 05-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
The speedometer is ddifferent, the GT reads higher. Something Ive also been wondering, if I could swap in the GT cluster in my '10 XKR
True - however, mine is also limited to 186 but the speedo only goes up to 175 (I guess it wasn't worth making a special speedo for only 75 cars). The needle just carries on into uncharted territory. Fortunately I have a GPS speed display.

The problem with swapping any modules in the XK is that you need access to the Jag diagnostic tool to authenticate them, otherwise the rest of the modules won't recognise it. And the instrument cluster isn't just a display, it's also a sort of central clearing house for a load of sensors. So it's possible you'd have trouble getting the GT-spec software in it to play nicely with non-GT modules.

Things used to be so much easier in the old days...

bigdhenderson (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I haven't seen to many $100K + cars without gauges so I wonder why Jag after all of these years omitted them. By the way does the XKR-S GT have any gauges?
Jaguar is a major automobile manufactuer. They employee a multitude of highly qualified automobile electrical and mechanical engineers of all types and Jaguar spends millions of dollars to design their cars and brand. I am quite sure that they have worked out all isues in regards to notifing the driver/owner that there may be a oil pressure problem. There is no evidence (oil pressure switch triggers at something like 7psi) provided that the Jaguar XK/XKR oil pressure warning alert goes off when the oil pressure drops to as low at 7 PSI. If so, document the evidence so we may all see and evaluate.

I don't believe that one can compare an automobile that was built in the 1960's or 70's or even 80's to a modern technological car like a 2012 Jaguar XKR, whether it's a Ferrari or any other car. Yes, these types of year models were basic and added basic gauges. It was easy to watch the gauges. It would be beyond my personal belief that Jaguar would eliminate any sort of alert to a driver/owner for low oil pressure. Just because a driver can't see an oil gauge doesn't mean there is no alert povided.

I suggest that you consider contacting the local Jaguar techs to get their thoughts on your issue. Trying to add gauges, sensors, video screens, etc, seems a worthless cause, when more investigation, research and due diligence is required to seek and secure the correct facts of what Jaguar does or does not provide to meet your worries. It has already been posted and noted that Jaguar does not provide true oil pressure to the driver, but I am certain other technologies built within the car systems will alert the driver.

It sounds like poster "Big Otter" has found a resolve (ELM327 bluetooth OBDII reader with the Torque Pro app loaded on smart phone or tablet) to supply drivers with some solid basic data on the Jaguar XKR. For a small investment of the OBDII device ($20.00 to $40.00) it might be well worth you consider doing this. However, you may have to throw away your old style "outdated" flip phone for the new technology of a "smart phone".

Big Otter (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Here is a real-world example of what the ELM327 OBDII adapter + Torque Pro smartphone app looks like from the driver's seat.

In this example, revs, speed, coolant temp, air temp, intake temp and volts can be seen. There are many other sensors that can be monitored. You can even see any fault codes that are issued and clear them if you wish. You can have many sensors displayed, or just one big one. You can vary the colors via "themes."

My Samsung Charge uses the Android OS and the mount is made for it. There is probably a dedicated phone mount for your phone too.

The ELM327 is <$10 and the app is too, if I recall correctly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Thumbnails Why can't it be done-img_4596.jpg   Why can't it be done-img_4595.jpg   Why can't it be done-img_4597.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Big Otter:
richzak (05-15-2014), SoCal Babe (05-15-2014), tberg (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Sell the Car!!

OMG!! This thread reminds me of my first boyfriend

All I wanted from him was to f*** me silly

All he kept worrying about was the rubber breaking

i got rid of the first boyfriend and got me another that rode me into infinity and beyond

For all the guys that are worried about your cars: SELL THEM!!

All the others: Hammer your cars like you were on top of an 18 year old blue eyed blond

The following 3 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
MaximA (05-16-2014), mosesbotbol (05-16-2014), richzak (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe

i got rid of the first boyfriend and got me another that rode me into infinity and beyond

All the others: Hammer your cars like you were on top of an 18 year old blue eyed blond

You're one "wild" woman.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Jaguar is a major automobile manufactuer. They employee a multitude of highly qualified automobile electrical and mechanical engineers of all types and Jaguar spends millions of dollars to design their cars and brand. I am quite sure that they have worked out all isues in regards to notifing the driver/owner that there may be a oil pressure problem. There is no evidence (oil pressure switch triggers at something like 7psi) provided that the Jaguar XK/XKR oil pressure warning alert goes off when the oil pressure drops to as low at 7 PSI. If so, document the evidence so we may all see and evaluate.

I don't believe that one can compare an automobile that was built in the 1960's or 70's or even 80's to a modern technological car like a 2012 Jaguar XKR, whether it's a Ferrari or any other car. Yes, these types of year models were basic and added basic gauges. It was easy to watch the gauges. It would be beyond my personal belief that Jaguar would eliminate any sort of alert to a driver/owner for low oil pressure. Just because a driver can't see an oil gauge doesn't mean there is no alert povided.

I suggest that you consider contacting the local Jaguar techs to get their thoughts on your issue. Trying to add gauges, sensors, video screens, etc, seems a worthless cause, when more investigation, research and due diligence is required to seek and secure the correct facts of what Jaguar does or does not provide to meet your worries. It has already been posted and noted that Jaguar does not provide true oil pressure to the driver, but I am certain other technologies built within the car systems will alert the driver.

It sounds like poster "Big Otter" has found a resolve (ELM327 bluetooth OBDII reader with the Torque Pro app loaded on smart phone or tablet) to supply drivers with some solid basic data on the Jaguar XKR. For a small investment of the OBDII device ($20.00 to $40.00) it might be well worth you consider doing this. However, you may have to throw away your old style "outdated" flip phone for the new technology of a "smart phone".
Rich I was not intentionally comparing a modern Jag to an old Ferrari but consider the modern Ferrari , Lambo , Maserati , Corvette's and so on and they all have a gauge set in them. I don't doubt the Jaguar engineers have designed in a sophisticated warning system but for a car of this nature I would have expected instrumentation. Nothing more then that and I can see the features of the torque pro but as I mentioned in the beginning of this thread it would be cool to have the gauge set integrated into the nav screen . Although there has been many suggestions and would likes they are useful add on's but not integrated. So I think the threat is at it's end but it was fun to discuss.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe

Socal I'm not worried about the car nor the lack of instrumentation . I just like scanning the data kind of like enjoying foreplay. It was a lively conversation anyway.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Although there has been many suggestions and would likes they are useful add on's but not integrated. So I think the thread is at it's end but it was fun to discuss.
We have not even started yet

And SoCal, this is about monitoring performance: Boost, Intercooler temps, AFR, etc....not just worrying about breakdowns.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
We have not even started yet
OK , go for it. LOL