XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Why can't it be done

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Jagtoes,
Those of us who have had or have older sports cars with high performance engines that always ran hot can not get over having an instrument cluster that doesn't give you any information. I can tell you that when driving my Pantera, there is never a moment, ever!, that I am not looking at the temperature and oil pressure gauges. Too many bad experiences to ignore them. Even though, the idiot temperature gauge on my 2002 XKR really never strays from the middle, and I know it, I still find myself looking every minute or two, out of habit. I taught my kids to check the temp gauge every few minutes as a precautionary indicator of bad things to come if it starts creeping up.

As I am picking up a 2010 XKR in the next day or so, and if I can put that app shown above on that piece of crap Samsung cellphone that I am stuck with for the next year or so, I am going to do it right after I get the car. Warning lights and bells are generally too late to prevent serious damage.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

I still think the Zeitronix with all the sensors possible is the best way to monitor things. You could easily find a tasteful spot to mount the lcd or you can run up to 3 of the round gauges. Plus you have the ability to datalog and best of all a wideband! Its definitely going to be the route I go I just havent decided on the actual display of the information yet. Also need to find out all the tie in points for all the sensors. A write up of just that info would be great to have as a sticky

Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Thing is, I don't think you can get oil pressure info out of the 5.0 XK's OBDII port, because I can't find any evidence of an oil pressure sensor. The 4.2 has one, but the 5.0 only has an oil level and temperature sensor.